Linux dedicated server connection issue

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Honza_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Linux dedicated server connection issue

Post by Honza_ »

Hi,
so I tried to get some dedicated server going, but there is this connections problem.

I managed to launch game, factorio seems to have port opent but I still get "Could not establish connection" message when trying to connect it.
I can connect to other servers though.

Anyone has any experience with dedicated facotrio server on linux, that could point me to problem?
Console output
Console output
dedicated-console.png (87.9 KiB) Viewed 7034 times

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Linux dedicated server connection issue

Post by sillyfly »

Do you have the ports forwarded correctly on your router (assuming you are behind one)?
Also, AFAIK it is impossible to run a server and a client on the same machine - if that's what you're trying to do.

Honza_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Honza_ »

The server runs on a VPS server.

As I wrote, I can connect to other games and yes, I have also ports on my windows PC forwarded.

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

It's worth a try to double check your VPS's port using a tool like http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
Then you can tell for sure if it's reachable via the internet.

I know the VPS our city rents is behind a hardware firewall of some sort, plus the OS's firewalling. To open any non-standard ports we update our firewall rules, then contact the VPS providers to adjust their firewall if it doesn't work.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Assuming that your server hostname is novapolis.net [37.157.192.64], I can connect to your server on port 34197 (default) without problems, although it is a bit laggy ingame.

Not sure why you would have problems connecting to your own server though. It seems fine server-wise, so are you using any VPN, Firewall or similar on the client to connect? If possible, try connecting using a different client pc / internet connection.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Honza_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Honza_ »

Yeah, thanks, that can be handy. I played a little more with iptables and it seems to work now, I can connect.

Return to “Technical Help”