Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.15] Satellite Uplink Station 1.1.1

Post by Supercheese »

SatUplinkTech.png
SatUplinkTech.png (55.14 KiB) Viewed 20653 times
Build an Uplink Station and enter it
Then you can remotely view any area and even fry biters without having to worry about being caught in the blast
Info: Spotlight video by Xterminator!

Long Description:

This mod features Satellite Uplink Stations: Build and enter an uplink station like any other vehicle (enter key by default), and you'll gain the ability to remotely view any area as an "eye in the sky" thanks to your spy satellite(s) in orbit.
You can move the view around using the same movement keys (WASD by default), and when you're finished, click the "Terminate Uplink" button at top to return to controlling your player-character dude.
Although you cannot craft or remove/drop items while uplinked, nor interact with assembly machines etc., you can still use your blueprints, deconstruction planner, explore any territory, and remotely direct trains.

This mod is also intended as a supplement to the Orbital Ion Cannon mod: While using the Uplink Station, you can remotely target your orbital ion cannon(s) without having to be anywhere near the blast zone!
This should hopefully greatly curtail the number of accidental friendly fire incidents.

Since Satellite Uplinking is an endgame technology, it is pretty expensive.
The uplink station is constructed with a fully independent power supply and can be used anywhere; it does not need to be connected to your power grid.

Further functionality is available if you have any of the following mods:
Should these mods be detected, you can also remotely use their items via the uplink station.

Additionally, this mod is aware of Bob's mods and will update its recipes and technology if Bob's Electronics and/or Tech mods are installed.

Known Issues:

You're supposed to only have an observer's view while uplinked and have a limited potential for interactions.
However, you can still use the logistics system while uplinked to request items that will go to your quickbar -- but if you do, the items will be immediately deleted when the bots deliver them to you.
Really, you should just refrain from using the logistic system while uplinked and only use the items that are given to you by default.

Because the Uplink Station is coded as a "car"-type entity, it cannot be built or deconstructed by robots, nor included in blueprints; it must be placed and picked up by hand.

This mod has been tested with The Fat Controller, and you should be able to use its remote-train-control feature while uplinked -- although you can achieve essentially the same results simply by flying over the train while uplinked.
This mod has been tested with YARM, but you cannot use YARM's remote viewing feature while uplinked.
(Of note, both YARM and TFC are subject to the same issue of still being able to use personal logistic slots to request items while remote-viewing.)

Feedback etc.

Please do report bugs, there might yet exist issues I haven't discovered.

Also, are there any other mods' items that would work well with the uplink station? I decided against the wrench from wrench-fu because that is more of a physical rather than remote action.
Version history
Attachments
Satellite Uplink Station_1.1.1.zip
(608.79 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Satellite Uplink Station_1.1.0.zip
(630.23 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Satellite Uplink Station_1.0.6.zip
(594.33 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Satellite Uplink Station_1.0.1.zip
(593.51 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
Satellite Uplink Station_1.0.0.zip
(592.91 KiB) Downloaded 637 times
Satellite Uplink Station_0.1.4.zip
(589.38 KiB) Downloaded 2519 times
Last edited by Supercheese on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:06 am, edited 31 times in total.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.22] Satellite Uplink Station 0.1.0

Post by kiba »

A neat idea that can apply to pretty much almost anything, like building a forward observation turret to relay communication for firing. It will be awesome.

Fansana
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fansana »

I had a similar idea where you could research different sattelites to do different stuff like a big radar do cover more area and awesome stuff like that.

qi1989223
Inserter
Inserter

Post by qi1989223 »

:o
NICE,but it seems some problems with 0.12.20(it seems not work :( )

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

qi1989223 wrote::o
NICE,but it seems some problems with 0.12.20(it seems not work :( )
12.22 is the latest version.

Also, nobody can't help you if you don't tell them the error.

Voxel_Friend
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Voxel_Friend »

Not sure if anyone else gets this issue, but The research doesn't seem to be there. On a fresh instance with only this and Orbital Ion Cannon installed, the research is not there. Unless the research won't show until after the rocket silo is researched, figured you would want to know this. Current factorio version is 0.12.22.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Voxel_Friend wrote:Not sure if anyone else gets this issue, but The research doesn't seem to be there. On a fresh instance with only this and Orbital Ion Cannon installed, the research is not there. Unless the research won't show until after the rocket silo is researched, figured you would want to know this. Current factorio version is 0.12.22.
This is intentional. From the first post: "In order to unlock the Satellite Uplinking research, you must have at least one satellite (vanilla satellite, not ion cannon) in orbit".

Voxel_Friend
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Voxel_Friend »

Ah, thank you for your prompt reply. I must have skimmed over that part without seeing it. Will definitely be using this mod. Thanks!

patvdleer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by patvdleer »

The mod didn't work in my MP game. The strange thing is, I don't get any notice when launching a rocket with a satellite on it, tried it 3 times now, orbital canon is up and working. I took a look at the code and copy pasted some things. Now, I'm not a modder but isn't the technologie global? not per player? I've changed the code to below, I still don't get any notice of launching the rocket/satellite but at least this does enable the research.

control.lua

Code: Select all

script.on_event(defines.events.on_rocket_launched, function(event)
	local force = event.rocket.force

# my edit
	force.technologies["uplink-station"].enabled = true

if not force.technologies["uplink-station"].enabled then
		for i, player in ipairs(force.players) do
			if player.connected then
				if player.gui.left.rocket_score and tonumber(player.gui.left.rocket_score.rocket_count.caption) > 0 then
					player.force.technologies["uplink-station"].enabled = true
					messageForce({"first-satellite-sent"}, force)
					break
				end
			end
		end
	end
end)

patvdleer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by patvdleer »

I think I found the problem why this isn't working, https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... satellite/

I created my game with the free play scenario causing it to have no rocket counter thus unable to count it your mod is unable to verify it as well. "player.gui.left.rocket_score" stays nil which causes the research never to be enabled.

script.on_event(defines.events.on_rocket_launched, function(event)
	local force = event.rocket.force
	for i, player in ipairs(force.players) do
		if player.connected then
		    player.print("test")
		    dump(player.gui.left.rocket_score)
		    dump(player.gui.left.rocket_score.rocket_count.caption)
		end
	end

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

I know this may go against the spirit of the mod, but as a suggestion, I would like to have absolute control while in the station. Placing objects and interacting with them. It just doesn't seem to useful for the late stage of the game it's intended for.

Perhaps a "full functionality" option in the config file? Or at least the option to place blueprints, but interact with items after they're placed?

Idk just me. Like the idea otherwise, just seems like a novelty at this point.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

patvdleer wrote:I think I found the problem why this isn't working, https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... satellite/

I created my game with the free play scenario causing it to have no rocket counter thus unable to count it your mod is unable to verify it as well. "player.gui.left.rocket_score" stays nil which causes the research never to be enabled.
Yeah, that would be a problem. I'll add an extra check to cover the case when the score counter is missing for whatever reason.
diongham wrote:I know this may go against the spirit of the mod, but as a suggestion, I would like to have absolute control while in the station. Placing objects and interacting with them. It just doesn't seem to useful for the late stage of the game it's intended for.

Perhaps a "full functionality" option in the config file? Or at least the option to place blueprints, but interact with items after they're placed?

Idk just me. Like the idea otherwise, just seems like a novelty at this point.
I'll add a config.lua option to enable full control while uplinked. :)

patvdleer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by patvdleer »

Thanks for the quick responds, I looked into it myself, think it should be something like below based on the control.lua in another save game

from

if player.gui.left.rocket_score and tonumber(player.gui.left.rocket_score.rocket_count.caption) > 0 then
to

if (player.gui.left.rocket_score and tonumber(player.gui.left.rocket_score.rocket_count.caption) > 0)  or event.rocket.get_item_count("satellite") > 0 then 

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.23] Satellite Uplink Station 0.1.0

Post by Supercheese »

patvdleer wrote:Thanks for the quick responds, I looked into it myself, think it should be something like below based on the control.lua in another save game
Yes indeed. Version 0.1.1 is out which has this change and the full control config option.

So for "full control", you can drop all your blueprints into a chest before uplinking, then hop in the uplink station and grab your blueprints back. Be sure you repeat the process in reverse before terminating the uplink, though -- place your blueprints back into the chest or else they'll be destroyed when you terminate the uplink!

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.23] Satellite Uplink Station 0.1.1

Post by Kane »

Hello! Sweet looking mod. I'm not really into the whole ion cannon etc. But I do like the uplink idea where you can explore and manage your trains etc. But for some odd reason I installed your mod and can't find the research nor the dish. I even did the research cheat just in case.

I really hope the research / building of this is end game.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Kane wrote:Hello! Sweet looking mod. I'm not really into the whole ion cannon etc. But I do like the uplink idea where you can explore and manage your trains etc. But for some odd reason I installed your mod and can't find the research nor the dish. I even did the research cheat just in case.

I really hope the research / building of this is end game.
My intention is to have the research only become available after you have launched at least one satellite in orbit. I did this by reading the "Rockets Launched" score, but as was discovered earlier, sometimes the score isn't there for whatever reason, so in v0.1.1 that I just posted, it should reliably unlock the research for you if you launch another rocket with a satellite.

patvdleer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by patvdleer »

I've just tested it and I can confirm that it works now, including v0.12.23.

apriori
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by apriori »

Great mod! Thanks.
Russian locale for v0.1.1
But could you tell how to use my vanilla blueprints while being uplinked? I can use only deconstruction blueprints and no one of construction ones.
Any code or mods posted by me are WTFPL, unless otherwise copyrights are specified.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.23] Satellite Uplink Station 0.1.0

Post by StanFear »

Supercheese wrote:place your blueprints back into the chest or else they'll be destroyed when you terminate the uplink!
couldn't you move the blueprints to the uplink inventory (if it doesn't have one (I havn't been able to try it out yet), just add it, since the uplink is based on the car type !

Return to “Mods”