Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Regular reports on Factorio development.
nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by nobodx »

If the smart inserters get removed, do the normal ones get the option to filter specific items ?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

nobodx wrote:If the smart inserters get removed, do the normal ones get the option to filter specific items ?
They might be replaced by the filter inserters.

coolidge
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by coolidge »

I think it's really great how you made a public announcement of how something is going to be, received feedback, and reverted a change as a result of said feedback after discussing it internally, and then told everyone that's what happened. While I had no strong feelings one way or another on that particular issue, the fact you listened to those who did and reopened it for discussion is just one of the many reasons you guys are awesome.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

psorek wrote:What about making flamed biters randomly run around and set trees on fire? ^^
That is part of the plan :)

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Erigalus wrote:exploding oil tanks could be fun. :3

this!

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

kovarex wrote:
psorek wrote:What about making flamed biters randomly run around and set trees on fire? ^^
That is part of the plan :)
How about... incendiary laser turrets!!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I would like them, cause that kind of laser looks much more realistic as the "riffle-of-laser-shooting-ones" now. :)

Ah, see you made a suggestion out of it:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=20073
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

The fire effect looks really nice...

... sounds like I am going to become an arsonist soon. :twisted:

kovarex wrote:The new plan is, that almost every machine will be directly connectable to the circuit network the same way as before. This still means, that the smart inserter and smart chest will be removed, as everything will be connectable, even the regular chests, inserters or even belts. There will be some general graphics of tiny antenna attached to the object once it is connected to the wire, so it doesn't look too funny.
Sounds like a good solution to me. :D

With the plan of connecting everything directly I can perfectly live with Smart Inserters/Chests being removed as they become really redundant that way.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Wait, I thought you weren't going to get rid of the smart inserter, now you're telling us you are?

Will normal inserters be able to Filter then? And how would connecting to the roboport network work, currently a smart inserter within the logistic zone is connected to it.

I can understand getting rid of the smart chest, but the smart inserter plays a much larger role.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

dunpealhunter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dunpealhunter »

Seems appropriate:

If you don't know this, then shame on you! :)

Legoman165
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Legoman165 »

A suggestion for a exploration achievement could be like minecraft's travel 1km in one direction on rails. For factorio it would have to be further since factorio trains are self powered. Maybe something like 100km.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

The Civilization series always has a nice looking technology tree. Their secret is, they design the tree first, and add dependencies later in a way that does not overlap.

Ekelbatzen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ekelbatzen »

I think you could add a whole lot of challenge achievements more if you want to.
Often I read through the list of achievements I didn't get yet in a game and get interested that you can even do such things these achievements challenge me to do.

With the challenge-category there could be many achievements that boost player creativity, such as efficient setups, autonomic productions/turrets, good blueprints, good network management, least amount of steps walked, creative belt-sorting-logic, etc.
Specs: 3770k, 16GB DDR3, 1060, Win10 x64, latest experimental via Steam

Chaoseed
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chaoseed »

Nice, I love achievements. I think it's fine to have a few achievements that are really easy.

How about an achievement which is "Play with a mod"? Any mod at all, just start a game with a mod enabled. It's easy, it doesn't require you guys to wonder whether the mod is overpowered or whatever, yet it encourages the player to play the game in a new way. ;) It's a thought, anyway.

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

The one issue I'd have with fire is how extreme (fast/far) the spread could get. Sometimes we want to keep the trees around! So I'm with the person who wanted some way to create a fire-break or extinguish fires.
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

bobingabout wrote:Wait, I thought you weren't going to get rid of the smart inserter, now you're telling us you are?

Will normal inserters be able to Filter then? And how would connecting to the roboport network work, currently a smart inserter within the logistic zone is connected to it.

I can understand getting rid of the smart chest, but the smart inserter plays a much larger role.
I agree and have the same question. I think it will still be very useful to filter items so hopefully either normal Inserters will be able to do it or there will be some type of filter Inserter implemented for that.

He also brings up a good point about connecting to the Logistics Network. How will that work?

Great FF though. The tech tree sounds interesting, and the achievements sound pretty awesome.Can't wait to see why other ones the community comes up with.
Also the fire mechanics and graphics seem epic. :D I will probably end up spending an unhealthy amount of time running around catch stuff on fire. Hehe
Image Image Image

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

I'm totally digging that fire...hm looks quite infernal. :twisted:
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

Couple of throughts:

* Fire - NICE. i like it. But as it is trees are getting rare at some point. TIme for some growth mechanism? Have a background thread regularly plant new trees close to existing ones? Something like that. Without that - this is a nice mechanic that will see limited use. And no, I will NOT use it for clearing trees. Mostly because I use Bob's mod.... trees are valuable ;)

* Connecting everything to logistics. Better. What about making it a MODULE? Or extension. Plug that INTO an object and you get the antenna ;)

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

Btw I already asked about the filter-thing of the smart inserters.

We'll probably get filter-inserters instead.
kovarex wrote:
nobodx wrote:If the smart inserters get removed, do the normal ones get the option to filter specific items ?
They might be replaced by the filter inserters.

florus2901
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by florus2901 »

I like the "new" forest fire mechanic, some people want to see the world burn. In the past i was looking for a way to easy clear a forest without getting a lot of chest with wood or shooting trees with a shotgun.

Also some feedback on the Techtree, look to other games how they translated Research, for example Civilization games. And do not forget that there is no goldenrule in how you visualize it.

Return to “News”