Friday Facts #124 - Steam Status I

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #124 - Steam Status I

Post by slpwnd »

Here goes a comprehensive overview of the current Steam situation: http://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-124

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #124 - Steam Status I

Post by katyal »

Great news! I wish you all the best with your release to Steam. Can't wait to see what a batch of new players brings to the game.

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

Excellent post, thanks. I'm glad the content packs will be bundled, that was a good decision to make. I'd love to buy the soundtrack just to show additional support.
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MalContentFL »

If I bought Transport Belt Repair Man on the website, when the Steam release launches do I get the scenario packs?
If so, how do I get them?

It's not that I'm cheap, and I've considered upgrading my account, but I just wanted to know...

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Loved this FF. Combining the scenario packs in with the normal purchase I think is a great decision. Also having the soundtrack separate is pretty cool so that people can help support the game further and get some awesome music to listen to at any time. :)

Man.. That very first trailer really brings me back (think it was even before I started playing) and show how far the game has come!

The extra buttons and bonus screen sound amazing. The fact it shows how much total damage bonus and such you get is really awesome. :D
Image Image Image

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Regarding global Steam climate, some good news:

Far Cry Primal does come out 23rd, but only on consoles.

Bad news:

Far Cry Primal Steam release is on 1st March, so there will be general hype for that a week in advance. Past that point it's going to be Tom Clancy's The Division, Hitman, Trackmania, yada yada. AAA industry waking up from winter slumber. Conditions generally not perfect, but could be worse.

And worse it gets - Superhot releases 25th. It's a very anticipated indie FPS, and it's not going to launch on Early Access, so it will steal the spotlight on that day no matter what.

Malachite
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Malachite »

New icons for Combat Bots? Hurray!

Animar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Animar »

I do have a question, if all the membership tiers will be merged into one "Have it all" basic pack wich is quivalent to the upcoming version sold on Steam. Will existing accounts on the Factorio site still refer to the old Tiers we once had. Or will they completely vanish into thin air, denying that they ever existed ?

gonzotw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by gonzotw »

I'll be coming out of streaming semi-retirement for this release. MUST SHOW PEOPLE FACTORIO

JMBarbarossa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JMBarbarossa »

When you say everyone has the possibility of a steam key, you mean that everyone will have the option to generate a steam key?

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

One thing I don't really understand from this post - will updating without getting a steam key still work?
Will players who bought the game on the site get the soundtrack? Will all packages get it, or only the higher tiers?

Rakshasa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rakshasa »

Damn...

Quite drunk when I read this, however I had a complaint about something involving the antonym of lateral... yet all I could find on the web was medial.

Rakshasa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rakshasa »

Ahh, it was the slant of the eyes of the smiles.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

JMBarbarossa wrote:When you say everyone has the possibility of a steam key, you mean that everyone will have the option to generate a steam key?
Yes.
MalContentFL wrote:If I bought Transport Belt Repair Man on the website, when the Steam release launches do I get the scenario packs?
If so, how do I get them?

It's not that I'm cheap, and I've considered upgrading my account, but I just wanted to know...
Good point. The answer is yes. The scenario pack will be either put into the basic package or simply made available to all the tiers via the updater and also it will be available via the Steam version of the game.
Drury wrote: And worse it gets - Superhot releases 25th. It's a very anticipated indie FPS, and it's not going to launch on Early Access, so it will steal the spotlight on that day no matter what.
It is good to have strong opponents=)
sillyfly wrote:One thing I don't really understand from this post - will updating without getting a steam key still work?
Yes.
sillyfly wrote:Will players who bought the game on the site get the soundtrack? Will all packages get it, or only the higher tiers?
The soundtrack will be a separately sold DLC. There is no decision whether players who bought higher tiers would get the soundtrack for free or not - that is something we would have to discuss with Daniel, our composer.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

Animar wrote:I do have a question, if all the membership tiers will be merged into one "Have it all" basic pack wich is quivalent to the upcoming version sold on Steam. Will existing accounts on the Factorio site still refer to the old Tiers we once had. Or will they completely vanish into thin air, denying that they ever existed ?
I was wondering about the same.

To the "name in the game" option - I think it would only be fair to leave it for the people who bought the tier before the Steam release and don't make it available to purchase after the Steam release at all.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

slpwnd wrote:
Drury wrote: And worse it gets - Superhot releases 25th. It's a very anticipated indie FPS, and it's not going to launch on Early Access, so it will steal the spotlight on that day no matter what.
Not so much opponents as a force of nature. It's an outside factor that softens the launch, even if they don't mean it.

Not that there's anything that could be done about it now, anyway.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Drury wrote:
slpwnd wrote:
Not so much opponents as a force of nature. It's an outside factor that softens the launch, even if they don't mean it.

It might be a good thing you know... people jump on steam to checkout Superhot, and then see this really interesting other game that has also just launched :D

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

Nic wrote:To the "name in the game" option - I think it would only be fair to leave it for the people who bought the tier before the Steam release and don't make it available to purchase after the Steam release at all.
This is a great idea, if only because going through the deluge of new names will take up precious time from Wube that could be better be used to make biters that think!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKk4Cq56d1Y
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

Kalanndok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kalanndok »

Sounds all nice, however I feel a bit cheated by the way the "furnace attendant" gets treated.

I bought that package BECAUSE of the exclusive content (scenario packs mainly) just to learn that with 5 bucks less I could have gotten the very same. Just doesn't feel right to me. :(

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Klonan wrote:
Drury wrote:
slpwnd wrote:

It might be a good thing you know... people jump on steam to checkout Superhot, and then see this really interesting other game that has also just launched :D
Well I hope for your sake you're right, but consumers, especially gamers, are primal beasts. Go for superhot, buy superhot, download superhot, forget about outside world, hygiene or whatever might be coming out on Steam that week.

Just in general, whenever two games launch at once and one of them is hyped a few orders of magnitude above the other, things like that tend to happen. Like the time Fallout 4 came out on the same day as the large Starcraft 2 expansion that I don't even remember the name of.

Stay frosty. You've still got a good campaign going.

Return to “News”