[REQUEST] GFX for mod : Subsurface

The place to share your custom game graphics.
StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[REQUEST] GFX for mod : Subsurface

Post by StanFear »

hello,

I started developpment few days ago of a new mod : subsurface
and as stated in the mod thread (and by the presence of this post in this subforum), I need help with graphics.

for those who don't want to go on the mod hread to understand what my mod does : it basically add subsurfaces to every surfaces in the game, allowing to build under the factory to gain space ! it also obviously allows the player to go to the subsurface of the base and move items there with items elevators.

so, ... now with the list of art I need :
  • tiles
    • [DONE] (thanks to y.petremann) cave wall tiles - should basically look like some kind of dirt seen from the top, kinda like in pokemon when you enter a cave and have the unaccessible part. (depending on the next one, might be ok to just have a black tile.) only need the 1x1 tile variant
    • [DONE] (thanks to y.petremann) cave ground (and transitions to cave walls) - a texture for the ground of the ground of the cavern, so ... some kind of dark dirt, I need it in the same format as the concrete, with transitions like outer corners, inner-crners, etc. the transitions should be the visible part of the walls. something like this : Image
      except it would be the oposite, with the top part transparant and the bottom with the ground tiles
      (list of all transitions : inner-corners, outer-corners, o, u, sides)
      oh, and the transitions must be transparent on the far end of the transition because factorio sometimes fuse an outer corner and an inner one if it needs to
  • entities
    • a Huge top-down mining drill with animation where the drill gores up and down (I initially thought of it as a giant drill, but something more fancy would probably look better (why not with lasers ?), I just don't want something that looks like it could be mobile) it should be 5x5 tiles in width and be made to open a hole for the next item (the hole can only be 3x3 -- depending on the next item) !
      the animation should be able to loop
    • [UPDATE]The elevator : this one is actually several entities (all with 2 to 3 parts): a top surface entity (with up and down transport belts), a middle surface entity (with belts going up and down, in both directions), and a bottom surface entity (with belts going up and down from the above surface)
      the differents part are for the item elevator part (with the belts), the ground (so it can be walked over without the player disapearing) and an elevator part : some kind of closed cage the player will enter in like in a vehicle, and that part would be great with animation of going up and down (to animate the elevator going underground)

The belts can be placed anywhere on the sides except in the corners
      The size of these entities must be the same, I no longer have requirements for a size, as long as the belts inputs and ouputs match the game grid !
      It should have wires connections on all surfaces (copper green and red) !

here is my initial thought of what it could look like :
    • [DONE] (thanks to YuokiTani) active air vent : basicaly a huge (well ... 2x2 tiles) motorized air vent like you would find on roofs of big buildings
    • [DONE] (thanks to YuokiTani) passive air vent : a 1x1 tiles air vent without motor, nor blades, just a hole with iron bars or something to allow the player to walk on it
    • intersurface fluid tank : something that would look like a fluid tank with one part in the subsurface and the other on the surface ideally something like a water heating ballon with a 1x1 tile size and 4 input-output on each surface parts.
    • [UPDATE] items elevator : something like the belt-to-ground thing but bigger (2x2 tiles since factorio does not handle non squares entities yet) and that give an impression of more advanced machinery OR something that realy looks like an item elevator like : (obviously, I need a sprite with animation for both the surface and subsurface and going in both ways)
      there are two belts for each item elevator, the belts are set up like this, for the top side
      and like this for the subsurface side
    • [NEW] Stairs : pretty straight forward, some stairs, made out of stone, with gfx for the top side and underground side,
      the size is not yet decided !
      the player will be using these to move up and down a single surface, they will activate by walking towards it in the defined direction
      so I need 4 directions for the top surface entity, and 4 for the bottom part
  • icons
    • an icon for the huge mining drill
    • [DONE] an icon each for the active an passive air vents
    • [UPDATE] 1 icon for the fluid elevator
    • [UPDATE] 1 icon for the item elevator
  • Technologies icons
    • an icon for the technology of drilling the ground
    • an icon for the technology of intersurface logistics (the tech will unlock item and fluid elevator)
[/list]
I think this is all for now,
maybe at some point I'll need more gfx (for unplanned features), at that point I'll edit this post !

and in advance, thanks to all who will spend time to do these gfx !
Last edited by StanFear on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [REQUEST] GFX for mod : Subsurface

Post by jorgenRe »

The concept you have for the elevator may be a little hard to create. So if i where to do the model i would send the ores straight into a tunnel and down to the ground. Basically hiding the fact that the animation would look wrong if one where to see the belts on the entity.
Other than that it seems like a pretty doable job. I may look into modeling one or two things when i have the first prototype of my enemies+ mod ready pluss some work stuff done ;)!

PS the items might need to be put in a crate that is then locked onto the belt so it is secure when going up. Trye and think how it might go if you sent those smaller items straight up on a belt :geek:
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

If you are speaking of the main elevator, (with the drawings I did) I was indeed thinking of tunnels, but since there is a belt place when the entity is places, the begining of the item elevator could be seen !
for the item elevator, I think it will change a little, and go from 1x2 to 2x2 or 2x3 with two belts, it will only depend on wether I manage to have a rotatable entity that is not a square ! and it will also depend on what you think would look better !

but anyways, the contents of the belt must be hidden while going through an item elevator

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Okay so do you want the hole down to be a proper squary hole with walls or just rocky walls?
Then dont you think it would be better if the player uses another entity or how big of an entity do you want the hole to be?
Logo

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

the hole should have rocky walls (the ruffer the better), think just drilled, and with some belts going up and down from it, (and with stairs or an elevator for the player) on the subsurface, having the shadows of the borders of the hole could be nice, and with a metal platform (I now realize my drawing was not as clear as I thought ^^).

as for the size, I initially thought of a 3x3 square, but a 5x5 would actually be nice as well (maybe even better, the driller sould be 5x5, so as long as the driller and the hole match each other, It's fine !)

do you have the informations you're looking for ? if you don't, just ask (maybe be more precise ? english is not my native language so I can easily misunderstand what you say !)

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

StanFear wrote:the hole should have rocky walls (the ruffer the better), think just drilled, and with some belts going up and down from it, (and with stairs or an elevator for the player) on the subsurface, having the shadows of the borders of the hole could be nice, and with a metal platform (I now realize my drawing was not as clear as I thought ^^).

as for the size, I initially thought of a 3x3 square, but a 5x5 would actually be nice as well (maybe even better, the driller sould be 5x5, so as long as the driller and the hole match each other, It's fine !)

do you have the informations you're looking for ? if you don't, just ask (maybe be more precise ? english is not my native language so I can easily misunderstand what you say !)
Ok thank you, thats all i need to get started unless somebody else can do it earlier as i'm currently putting the finishing touches on a lending system im working on :)!
But yea a drawing may be nice, but a drawing with well done descriptive text is a whole lot better :)!
Logo

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

i think Air_Vents still open ...

ImageImage
ImageImageAV22 - 16ner Sheet
recommend changeing animation-speed ingame

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

YuokiTani wrote:i think Air_Vents still open ...

ImageImage

woaw ! this is amazing, and it looks so good in game !

I just have to find a way to make the active air vent animated .. (based on assembling machine, which does not animate unless working ...)

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

StanFear wrote:
YuokiTani wrote:i think Air_Vents still open ...

ImageImage

woaw ! this is amazing, and it looks so good in game !

I just have to find a way to make the active air vent animated .. (based on assembling machine, which does not animate unless working ...)
Create an item that can stack very high but is very slow to craft. Then have a script insert the items and deleting the resulting item
Logo

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Or you could make them beacons with zero module slots or something. Or radars, even. Plenty of things have animation potential.

Radars would have the advantage of being able to use on_sector_scanned to move the pollution up from underground to above ground.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Supercheese wrote:Or you could make them beacons with zero module slots or something. Or radars, even. Plenty of things have animation potential.

Radars would have the advantage of being able to use on_sector_scanned to move the pollution up from underground to above ground.
nah, I solved the problem, used a dummy recipe.
the main problem with beacon was the need to have at least one module inserted, plus, beacons have a fixed part and a moving one, plus a shadow animation part, so this would have been to much a a trouble
as to radars, that would mean all my air vents wouls behave as radars, and reveal the space around it, which is not an intended functionnality

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

This is my form of contribution to this mod, basicaly, I've done modified a bit the textures, added missing ones and modified layers so :
  • ground is now under walls
  • walls are now smoother
Subsurface_0.0.3.zip
Texture patch
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 175 times

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

y.petremann wrote:This is my form of contribution to this mod, basicaly, I've done modified a bit the textures, added missing ones and modified layers so :
  • ground is now under walls
  • walls are now smoother
Subsurface_0.0.3.zip
well, thanks, the graphics looks nice !

but, walls being under the ground was not a mistake, I wanted to be able to "see" the walls the player is digging, in what you gave, the player needs to dig "behind" the walls, I thinks this looks weird ...
plus, having the walls under the ground allows to have the transition be made up to where the player can walk (see what I mean ?)

I might still use the graphics you made (or modified ?) but I'll change them to move them one tile outside !

but anyways, thanks !

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

StanFear wrote:well, thanks, the graphics looks nice !

but, walls being under the ground was not a mistake, I wanted to be able to "see" the walls the player is digging, in what you gave, the player needs to dig "behind" the walls, I thinks this looks weird ...
plus, having the walls under the ground allows to have the transition be made up to where the player can walk (see what I mean ?)

I might still use the graphics you made (or modified ?) but I'll change them to move them one tile outside !

but anyways, thanks !
All I've done is to change texture, but in this case, I think you should have a biome with walls and ground in mind, no black ("out-of-map") things.

Also making wall breakable by robots would be great

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

I've taken in account what you said and made a new version.
Now the walls you can dig are more evident
I also added a small perspective (top walls are bigger than bottom wall)
It's also a bug-proof tileset (texture can overlap to make walls like with this snail like shape in the image)
I've put gimp xcf file inside the zip if you need to tweak a bit the colors
Subsurface_0.0.3.zip
Texture patch
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 160 times

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Looks neat. Reminds me of old Diablo 2 dungeons :D

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

y.petremann wrote:I've taken in account what you said and made a new version.
It's also a bug-proof tileset (texture can overlap to make walls like with this snail like shape in the image)
Subsurface_0.0.3.zip

well, it looks more like what I had in mind !

and I might twick a bit the collors to make it a bit less 'scrary' and more welcoming

I'll do some testing to see if this goes nively with the game obviously, but this looks great !

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

StanFear wrote:
y.petremann wrote:I've taken in account what you said and made a new version.
Subsurface_0.0.3.zip

well, it looks more like what I had in mind !

and I might twick a bit the collors to make it a bit less 'scrary' and more welcoming

I'll do some testing to see if this goes nively with the game obviously, but this looks great !
Since colors are not at their best, I can give you the advice to have the wall and ground to be clearly different

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

please test if this could work for you as elevator - surface-version
ImageImage

this could also break down into the surface and subsurface-variant of transport-belts. if the center-block or control-block always the same.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

YuokiTani wrote:please test if this could work for you as elevator - surface-version
ImageImage

this could also break down into the surface and subsurface-variant of transport-belts. if the center-block or control-block always the same.

ok, this looks amazing !

I have one question and a few changes to ask you though,

How wide did you plan for this entity to be ?
if it is planned to be 7 tiles wide, then the belts are not large enough (they could be, It would just require some kind of compressor gfx to be added to that one

now the changes I wouls like :
  • make the player elevator a closed one (I know the open one will probably still look better, but I'm thinking about making the player elevator part a vehicle (to handle the transportation to the other levels better, and to, maybe, make the elevator go through several layers))
  • make the transport belts parts covered (there is no clean way to make items on ground move and get hidden so making the belts hidden would help make it not look weird to have items just disapearing on the midle of the belt)
  • maybe, make the background a separate picture, hat way, I can make it into a decorative entity which then can be set to always be under the player !
so please, see what you think can be done, and if you think it will look good,
I'm always open to suggestions,

and really, thank you for your work !

Return to “Texture Packs”