Different alert sound for destroyed objects

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Different alert sound for destroyed objects

Post by Boogieman14 »

Currently, the same alert is sounded for both damage to an object and destruction of an object. It takes an extra glance at the notification icon to see which it is, and with a constant stream of walls taking damage and getting repaired, it's easy to miss when an object gets destroyed. A different sound for object destruction would be helpful here, because you can then easily tune out the damage warning (but still be made aware of it) but still take action when something gets destroyed (of course, bots will likely replace the destroyed objects, but when biters are getting through something, it may be time to upgrade the defenses)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Different alert sound for destroyed objects

Post by silman »

+1 was just thinking this myself.

cappie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cappie »

I know this post is old, but me and other users @ https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... _for_when/ thought this might be very handy indeed.. (also, very 'cheap' to implement)

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

I agree, this has been bugging me for a long time.
There have also been other Ideas, for example using the circuit network / combinators to add user-defined notifications and alarm sounds (like explained here). Maybe too detailed for the devs but the modding API should allow such extensions.

Related topics:
Alerts / better combat warnings [Ideas and Suggestions]
Warning Sounds [Ideas and Suggestions]
Audio warning when enemies attack [Ideas and Suggestions]
Custom Alarm/Notification/Player Set Alarm/Attention [Ideas and Suggestions]
Disable alert for damaged wall [Ideas and Suggestions]
Event alert filters? [Ideas and Suggestions]
Disable alerts for mundane combat [Ideas and Suggestions]
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

The mod above seems quite neat, is it OK to load it up on an already running factory?

Another way you can sort out the GUI sounds is to rename a file yourself. Simply go to;

C:\Users\USER\Desktop\Factorio_0.12.21\data\core\sound (find the factorio install location etc etc)

And just rename the sound file. The gear grinder for me was the 'can not build' beep, so I just made a copy of inventory-move.ogg, deleted cannot-build.ogg and renamed the copied file to cannot-build.ogg
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Ghoulish wrote:The mod above seems quite neat, is it OK to load it up on an already running factory?
It should be just fine; that's how I tested it. :)

shachar2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by shachar2 »

the alerts are really annoying.
if there's a turret there to respond, I don't care and don't need to know.

also I would think about adding something like:
building under attack
with something a bit different when a turret is there to engage
base under attack (although I don't like the use of the word base since this isn't a strategy game)

chrisgrimes
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by chrisgrimes »

Just posting something so that this can come up to the front again. This is very necessary. I even went and created an account just so I could make my voice heard on this matter.

It's not like it would be hard, you have the "mwah mwah mwah" alarm for damage and a "eagh eagh eagh" alarm for something that got destroyed. Please excuse my sound effects.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

All I read is the title... but I must agree with it.

You just started a large empty this entire field of chests deconstruction event, bots are probably going to take half an hour to clear it, so things start beeping at you constantly.
You tune it out
Biters attack
you've tuned out the beeping, you completely miss the fact that the exact same noise no longer means that the completely ignorable 25 mins left deconstruction job is going to take forever, and instead means biters are destroying your base.

oops.

A different beeping for being attacked, and another for things being destroyed would be useful, the fact that weapons are firing is still a yellow alert, not a red alert.

Actually, I'd rate them as follows.
Lasers firing: Death con 3, bleep.
Something is being damaged: Death con 2, attention may be required, make a slightly more noticeable sound.
Entity destroyed: Death con 1, you probably should do something about this, activate that red alert siren!
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is already added here: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=16566 Alerts, Alert-Info (Map), visible/audible Indication
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”