Location of download for semi-old Factorio versions?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Ninjadude501
Inserter
Inserter

Location of download for semi-old Factorio versions?

Post by Ninjadude501 »

I discovered a mod that I really want to play with recently, but it appears that it doesn't work in 0.12.20, so I went and looked on the main download page to see if I could download 0.12.9 (the version the mod I want runs on) anywhere. I looked in the Experimentals, but it didn't appear to go back that far. Is there any way for me to download 0.12.9, or is my search hopeless?

My apologies for any confusion the wording in this post may cause, I'm rather tired at the moment.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Location of download for semi-old Factorio versions?

Post by Koub »

Hi,

Your quest is hopeless atm : there's only a very limited number of experimental versions available on factorio website.
However, there's still hope for you, as you can post a request on you mod's thread, asking if someone can update it for 0.12.22.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ninjadude501
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ninjadude501 »

Koub wrote:Hi,

Your quest is hopeless atm : there's only a very limited number of experimental versions available on factorio website.
However, there's still hope for you, as you can post a request on you mod's thread, asking if someone can update it for 0.12.22.
Thanks for the response!
I guess I'll try that, but it seems most people have just given up on it (and it's in the Obsolete forum, which I doubt many people check). Who knows, though, there may be someone willing to do it and I just have to ask.
Again, thanks for the information, and have a good night! (for me at least)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The changes from 12.9 to current version are in most cases small. You just need to replace game.on_load() etc. with script.on_load()

The point is, that some mods just do the on_load wrong. But you can just try, perhaps it works, for the mods I use it worked.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Ninjadude501
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ninjadude501 »

ssilk wrote:The changes from 12.9 to current version are in most cases small. You just need to replace game.on_load() etc. with script.on_load()

The point is, that some mods just do the on_load wrong. But you can just try, perhaps it works, for the mods I use it worked.
Could you give me some more specifics? Do I only replace lines that say game.on_load() with script.on_load(), or are there others too? For example, one line says this; game.on_init(function()
Would I replace the 'game' in that with script?
Another line says this: game.on_event(defines.events.on_player_created, function(event)
Again, do I replace the 'game' in that with script?

Keep in mind, I have basically no experience with Lua, or almost any programming language for that matter.

EDIT: On further examination of the script, I have actually discovered that there is no line that specifically says 'game.on_load()' that I could find.
Also, in case it would help, here is the link to the mod that I am talking about. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... 40&t=13583

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

[Edited by Koub : we will not promote piracy and illegal software here]

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Why would you want to downgrade the game instead of upgrading the mod?

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

[Edited by Koub : this STILL is incitement to piracy unless stated otherwise by the devs themselves. Any link to pirated software will be moderated.]

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

Oh wow forum mods nuked my post. Well for crap sake's if you dont support him downloading the file on [link removed] then contact the team and get this modder his file. He's your customer why are you enforcing a rule that will help him if you wont help him yourself. At least ask kovarex or someone to make it availible in a dropbox or SOMETHING. What a disappointment... people wouldnt be "stealing" if you didnt abandon the older versions of your work, SOME OF US NEED THOSE FILES!

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

They are experimental versions, the devs just happen to be nice enough to let us play them. They have no obligation to support old experimental versions.
The mods are generally simple to update, even though the game is still a BETA version that is expected to break mods. Eventually the mod API will become stable, and the devs will avoid breaking changes if at all possible after that point.

I don't know the exact reasoning behind not allowing downloads of old versions, but I suspect at least part of it is to try keeping everyone playing on the latest version, and simplify support/bug tracking.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

starholme wrote:They are experimental versions, the devs just happen to be nice enough to let us play them. They have no obligation to support old experimental versions.
The mods are generally simple to update, even though the game is still a BETA version that is expected to break mods. Eventually the mod API will become stable, and the devs will avoid breaking changes if at all possible after that point.
I actually wanted to answer therapist's issues last night, but didn't find the right words. Your answer was pretty spot on.
Experimental versions are just that, experimental versions of an alpha game. If you want to have the most mod-compatible versions, you stick to the stable versions. If you want to try something new, use the experimental.

In this case, the mod is [MOD 0.12.X] Galactic Trade, which is only updated to work with 0.12.9, an experimental version.
The mod maker (coopmaster, last online 14 Dec 2015) didn't update it to the stable version of 0.12.x.
However, there's the older version [MOD 0.11.22] Galactic Trade Mod for the people who prefer stable releases.

I think that experimental versions are just that - experimental. If you want to have an actual safe playthrough with mods, use the stable version they are released with. If Factorio gets changes/features in experimental and the mod doesn't respond accordingly, it's the modders fault, not the devs.
I know that most mods broke with 0.12.11, but that's the risk you're taking if you use experimental versions. Most mods now have (sometimes inofficial) updates to the stable 0.12.20 and are working.
starholme wrote:I don't know the exact reasoning behind not allowing downloads of old versions, but I suspect at least part of it is to try keeping everyone playing on the latest version, and simplify support/bug tracking.
Exactly. The devs don't want you to play outdated experimental versions, as it makes tracking down bugs you encounter harder (they might have been fixed), they won't look at bugs from older experimental versions, unless you can reproduce them in the current experimental. If you want to support the dev team, don't use outdated (especially not available) releases for your bug reports.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Ninjadude501
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ninjadude501 »

daniel34 wrote: In this case, the mod is [MOD 0.12.X] Galactic Trade, which is only updated to work with 0.12.9, an experimental version.
The mod maker (coopmaster, last online 14 Dec 2015) didn't update it to the stable version of 0.12.x.
However, there's the older version [MOD 0.11.22] Galactic Trade Mod for the people who prefer stable releases.
Actually, just last night I tried downgrading to 0.11.22 and there were all these odd bugs. Certain entities were missing their graphics and appeared as just squares of static (like you would see on old TVs). I know one of these was a pistol. I also couldn't zoom out at all.
I had already uninstalled the previous version of Factorio, including deleting the AppData folder (which somehow didn't get deleted in the uninstall). I really have no clue why in the world it was weird like that.
Although now that I think about it, it may have been that I enabled auto-updates (I was tired and not thinking straight). I'll try re-installing it sometime today without auto-updates and see if that fixes the problem.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Ninjadude501 wrote:
daniel34 wrote: In this case, the mod is [MOD 0.12.X] Galactic Trade, which is only updated to work with 0.12.9, an experimental version.
Actually, just last night I tried downgrading to 0.11.22 and there were all these odd bugs. Certain entities were missing their graphics and appeared as just squares of static (like you would see on old TVs). I know one of these was a pistol. I also couldn't zoom out at all.
I had already uninstalled the previous version of Factorio, including deleting the AppData folder (which somehow didn't get deleted in the uninstall). I really have no clue why in the world it was weird like that.
Although now that I think about it, it may have been that I enabled auto-updates (I was tired and not thinking straight). I'll try re-installing it sometime today without auto-updates and see if that fixes the problem.
Uninstalling the current Factorio version and deleting the AppData folder (%appdata%\Factorio) should be enough to remove any previous install you had on your pc. Yes, you have to remove the AppData folder manually, it doesn't get deleted by default.
Also, auto-updates should ask you if you want to update the game, not update it without any notice.

I recommend you download the zip-version of 0.11.22, extract it and add the mod linked ([MOD 0.11.22] Galactic Trade Mod) in the same directory under mods. If there's no mod folder after extracting, just make a new folder.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

starholme wrote:... BETA version ...
Alpha :)

Ninjadude501
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ninjadude501 »

daniel34 wrote:
Ninjadude501 wrote:
Uninstalling the current Factorio version and deleting the AppData folder (%appdata%\Factorio) should be enough to remove any previous install you had on your pc. Yes, you have to remove the AppData folder manually, it doesn't get deleted by default.
Also, auto-updates should ask you if you want to update the game, not update it without any notice.

I recommend you download the zip-version of 0.11.22, extract it and add the mod linked ([MOD 0.11.22] Galactic Trade Mod) in the same directory under mods. If there's no mod folder after extracting, just make a new folder.
Well, I tried downloading the zip folder and extract it, but before I installed the mod I ran a game to check if the visual glitches were still there. They were. I took some screenshots this time. http://imgur.com/a/62aD5

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

that appears to be a Vram issue please try some of these https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=9300

Ninjadude501
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ninjadude501 »

Smarty wrote:that appears to be a Vram issue please try some of these https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=9300
Okay, I did that, it fixed the black spots where terrain was missing. However, the static squares stayed. Also, I forgot to mention that the inventory/crafting also has some pictures missing. http://imgur.com/a/Oo0V8

EDIT: BTW, I have a theory that perhaps some pictures got accidentally removed from the 0.11.22 folders somewhere along the way, and this is what is causing all of the staticky spots.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ninjadude501 wrote:Could you give me some more specifics? Do I only replace lines that say game.on_load() with script.on_load(), or are there others too? For example, one line says this; game.on_init(function()
Another line says this: game.on_event(defines.events.on_player_created, function(event)
Yes, you can refer to other resources by searching it, like so:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/sea ... mit=Search
Keep in mind, I have basically no experience with Lua, or almost any programming language for that matter.
It's surely not that easy to do that in this case, but if you manage to rewrite the mod I can say the result will be overwhelming satisfying for you. :)
EDIT: On further examination of the script, I have actually discovered that there is no line that specifically says 'game.on_load()' that I could find.
Also, in case it would help, here is the link to the mod that I am talking about. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... 40&t=13583
Well, I didn't test it, but there are some "on_*" events, like in prototypes/scripts/trading-chest.lua...

Code: Select all

game.on_event(defines.events.on_entity_died, function(event)
etc.
To understand the function of this you can refer to either to the wiki ( https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... Lua/Events ), or what I meanwhile prefer the documentation delivered with the game (you can find it in the folder doc-html and it starts with the index.html of course). It's just on the top of that first page how LuaBootstrap works.
I mention this, cause there is no guarantee, that it will work afterwards, but with that knowledge it's more probable that you can solve it. :)

You can find all the includes, by following the requires at the top of the files.
You need to start with control.lua

require "defines"
require("prototypes.scripts.trading-chest")
require 'config'
There you see it requires some defines, which are taken from outside (in the Factorio-lua part).
The next is the mentioned files where the game.on_* are
and then the config.lua.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Ninjadude501
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ninjadude501 »

ssilk wrote:
Ninjadude501 wrote:Could you give me some more specifics? Do I only replace lines that say game.on_load() with script.on_load(), or are there others too? For example, one line says this; game.on_init(function()
Yes, you can refer to other resources by searching it, like so:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/sea ... mit=Search
It's surely not that easy to do that in this case, but if you manage to rewrite the mod I can say the result will be overwhelming satisfying for you. :)
Well, I didn't test it, but there are some "on_*" events, like in prototypes/scripts/trading-chest.lua...

game.on_event(defines.events.on_entity_died, function(event)
etc.
To understand the function of this you can refer to either to the wiki ( https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... Lua/Events ), or what I meanwhile prefer the documentation delivered with the game (you can find it in the folder doc-html and it starts with the index.html of course). It's just on the top of that first page how LuaBootstrap works.
I mention this, cause there is no guarantee, that it will work afterwards, but with that knowledge it's more probable that you can solve it. :)

You can find all the includes, by following the requires at the top of the files.
You need to start with control.lua

require "defines"
require("prototypes.scripts.trading-chest")
require 'config'
There you see it requires some defines, which are taken from outside (in the Factorio-lua part).
The next is the mentioned files where the game.on_* are
and then the config.lua.
Thank you so much! You're right, it feels so good to have fixed those by myself. The problem is now, it's throwing some other glitches. I created a new thread in the modding help forum to deal with this glitch, and all glitches following it. For ease of access, here's the link: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=19608

Again, thanks so much for the help up to this point!

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

I'm glad you decided to stick with Factorio, and give updating the mod a try. I felt a little bad after my post, it was a bit harsh :)

The modder forum is generally very active and helpful, hopefully they'll get you running in no time!

Return to “General discussion”