Friday Facts #122 - Better circuit network (Part 1)

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #122 - Better circuit network (Part 1)

Post by Twinsen »

Get the latest info about the circuit network http://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-122

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #122 - Better circuit network (Part 1)

Post by keyboardhack »

Making combinators easier to use is a great step forward!
Last edited by keyboardhack on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waste of bytes : P

Weresmilodon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Weresmilodon »

keyboardhack wrote:FFF not up yet!
It is now.

Edit;
Roboport is connectable to the circuit network. It sends the logistic network contents.
Does this also apply to both active and item robots in the network? (Preferably separately)

Being able to just have a smart inserter load robots into a roboport until a set number of active robots would be wonderful.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

This feedback has been left intentionally blank as a result of plagiarism.

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

I agree 100% with _aD, great FFF!

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Weresmilodon wrote: Does this also apply to both active and item robots in the network? (Preferably separately)
Being able to just have a smart inserter load robots into a roboport until a set number of active robots would be wonderful.
At the moment it just sends the available items in logistic chests. I plan to make it possible to select what you want to get, either items or the network stats(like the number of available and total construction and logistic robots).

Yttrium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yttrium »

That "Nonsense" is what I actually use to check how compressed a belt is, If all materials split perfectly then I know that my belt is "Fully compressed" But if you can change this behaviour without breaking splitter filtering then I'm fine with changing it.

Xarph
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Xarph »

Could the colors on wires be changed? As red-green colorblind person, copper and green wires look the same, and red wires are almost impossible to see in dirt-settings. If there's an option to make arbitrary colored wires, they could also be used for more complex circuits.

AssaultRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AssaultRaven »

Xarph wrote:Could the colors on wires be changed? As red-green colorblind person, copper and green wires look the same, and red wires are almost impossible to see in dirt-settings. If there's an option to make arbitrary colored wires, they could also be used for more complex circuits.
That is a good idea.

But to go a bit further, I'm not color blind and as of a year ago I had 20/20 vision, and I also have trouble seeing wires. They're just so thin! Maybe detail view could make them just a pixel or 2 thicker? Or make their display length configurable between "thin" and "fat?" Which, again, might just need a pixel or 2 difference between those options.

Weresmilodon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Weresmilodon »

Twinsen wrote:I plan to make it possible to select what you want to get, either items or the network stats(like the number of available and total construction and logistic robots).
Nice.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

AssaultRaven wrote:
Xarph wrote:Could the colors on wires be changed? As red-green colorblind person, copper and green wires look the same, and red wires are almost impossible to see in dirt-settings. If there's an option to make arbitrary colored wires, they could also be used for more complex circuits.
That is a good idea.

But to go a bit further, I'm not color blind and as of a year ago I had 20/20 vision, and I also have trouble seeing wires. They're just so thin! Maybe detail view could make them just a pixel or 2 thicker? Or make their display length configurable between "thin" and "fat?" Which, again, might just need a pixel or 2 difference between those options.
Wires are just sprites :) You can easily make a mod to replace the sprites with any you'd like.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Gwynbleidd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gwynbleidd »

I'd also like some colorblind friendly changes or a colorblind config option (lots of games have them now). Regular and advanced circuits, regular inserters and smart inserters, active provider and requester chests all look the same to me.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

I am afraid it would become harder to do this properly if you consider that the combinator sprites also include wires, and some other entities as well. :?

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

In light of all this information, we are considering changing the way splitter works. Possibly by making have a internal state per transport belt lane instead of per item. It split each lane of each belt equally to the output.
No more ugly one sided belts :D

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Will we be able to mod the circuit network properly in 0.13? To give mods the option to create custom combinators and more complex activation options

At the very least there needs to be a way to get the input into a connector and setting the output. (

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

When we can connect the Assembling Machine to the Circuit network to control what they should build would be my dream ...
Then i can make a full automatic fabric that build what it need without that from each type 1 Assembling Machine are needed.
And progamable smart Inserter (Filter) whould be also nice.
Set the smart Inserter to "Signal" then it filter what came as signal.

But the new features also be great ... when we can have it to play with it :geek:
Thank you dev team for the great work you make!

ghoti
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ghoti »

I've had a lot of fun messing with the splitters, turning them into sorting machines. To be honest I'm a little sad to see the behavior changed, but even still, you have my blessing there.

It's funny, it's useless, and it's harmless, but I think it's better that splitters didn't have this unexpected behavior.

pcmaster160
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pcmaster160 »

Zeblote wrote:
In light of all this information, we are considering changing the way splitter works. Possibly by making have a internal state per transport belt lane instead of per item. It split each lane of each belt equally to the output.
No more ugly one sided belts :D
I like the one sided belts, it's a good indicator of how compressed the belt coming in is (if there are a few that end up in the middle this is shown). In addition it's not like the splitter doesn't fill the inside after the outside lanes are full.

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

what is looking good twinsen nice work

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vaderciya »

Is there a circuit/combinator tutorial somewhere that I can watch or read? I want to use them in my factories, but I don't know how they work

Return to “News”