Few small suggestions.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Few small suggestions.

Post by Garm »

Had few random suggestions that didn't fit a single theme:

1. Please add Logistics tab or smart inserter tab to storage chests (even without sliders), items present in that tab would be stored inside the chest, allowing dedicated storage chests.

2. At later stages of the game it seems item belts become quite lacking due to inserter-belt limitation in throughput. Would it possible to add hopper-like structure that works as combination of chest above the belt. Items placed in that chest will automatically drop onto the belt below in all 4 slots at once.

3. More logic conditionals (power consumption, presence of train, turrets active, player near?) as well as tools ( alarms, signals, stop gaps, etc) having a clear indicator that complex is out of particular resource is a boon.

4. Allow logistic bots to supply gun turrets, and any future ammo-dependent defence systems.

5. One-time train schedules or schedules with interrupts, that require player, or logic network input. For example "Station A, Station B, Stop the train" , "Station C, Station D, Stop until received signal"

6. Roboport addons: Charger stations - provide more charging slots, have no supply area. Area extensions - provide small supply area coverage, have no charging slots. Fist will allow increased traffic per single roboport without increasing the area, while second would allow greater customization of the supply areas.

Will add other later.
Last edited by Garm on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Few small suggestions.

Post by Dysoch »

Garm wrote: 5. Allow players to control train on rail splits: holding appropriate key (left, right) will ensure train moving in specified direction.
This is already ingame.

The rest, i agree. Also i would like to add that when setting contidoins for logic network, allow multiple conditions with only 1 wire. Like work only when more then 20k iron plates and less then 20k steel.
Sure this can be done with 2 wires, but i always got like a few hundred wires in my game, to also add the second wire is tedious work :(
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Really? I guess i wasn't pressing hard enough. sorry about that.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Would be cool, if the switches showed their current positions... And you see the path you will take...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

Garm wrote:Really? I guess i wasn't pressing hard enough. sorry about that.
You need to press left or right before you get to a switch, to late, and your going straight. It even works backwards.
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

Number 4 is in game too.
-build station stops
-right-click them and change the station name to same for all stops.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Added new number 4: Allow logistic bots to supply gun turrets, and any future ammo-dependent defence systems.

I think it will provide decent alternative to other suggestions, as it would allow gun turrets to remain cheap in order to be viable in early game, while retaining some usability in later game as well.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Sounds like a nice idea. :)
Maybe this can be something to research? "Automatic reloading" or so. Not too expensive.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

All are good ideas and all are something we consider or plan to implement.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Decided to necro my own thread and add two more suggestions:

5. One-time train schedules or schedules with interrupts, that require player, or logic network input. For example "Station A, Station B, Stop the train" , "Station C, Station D, Stop until received signal"

I have found myself relying on 200s timer to catch trains often enough. High-throughput rail networks cannot accommodate different supply sinks well enough without on-demand system.

6. Roboport addons: Charger stations - provide more charging slots, have no supply area. Area extensions - provide small supply area coverage, have no charging slots. Fist will allow increased traffic per single roboport without increasing the area, while second would allow greater customization of the supply areas.

While roboports work well for small complexes, problems arise when one starts to expand. inability to differentiate between logistic storage chests requires multiple networks to have separated by area. 50x50 areas are not precise enough to cover everything needed without accidentally overlapping with other areas. At the same time high demand/small area systems cannot support more than 32x3 robots per roboport active at same time due to charging queue.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”