Underground Building

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Semaphorism
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Underground Building

Post by Semaphorism »

The idea is simple but probably complex to implement. The idea is the ability to build underground + mine.

Limitations/thoughts on this idea.
- Can only mine 1 layer under the surface
- Aliens will be able to "Dig" when they can sense or see say a smoke stack nearby
- All objects will be able to be placed underground, but require vents for certain objects to work. Solar will not work (Of course)
- Add some "Vents" + fans to move the pollution that we can hook up to polluting objects, to direct the pollution out to a vent, and perhaps make it so underground systems that burn resources to power need vented air to them.
- Keep underground belts separate on both layers, but add new ones that go from surface to underground and back.
- Mining will be slow, since it will be more protection.

I may edit my topic as I think of some other things that would be necessary.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Underground Building

Post by ssilk »

Some other topics with "underground" it it's title:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/search. ... mit=Search
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Meh. Monitors only display a single layer of visual output. An underground layer means you have to constantly switch between 2 views. No matter what the player is only going to be able to read half of the game's info at one time, and that is a big issue when it comes to providing a clean clear UI.

You have to be toggling constantly between 2 separate views to make a full underground layer work. It's kind of a player headache when there's more than enough room to deal with everything on the surface.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

bobucles wrote:Meh. Monitors only display a single layer of visual output. An underground layer means you have to constantly switch between 2 views. No matter what the player is only going to be able to read half of the game's info at one time, and that is a big issue when it comes to providing a clean clear UI.

You have to be toggling constantly between 2 separate views to make a full underground layer work. It's kind of a player headache when there's more than enough room to deal with everything on the surface.
dwarf fortress players seem to pull it off with even more Z-layers

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I absolutely detest the way DF handlers z levels. Outside or in caves with multiple z levels it is simply impossible to see where your army / the enemy is, since you can only see a single z level at a time. There are some modes that show lower z levels as well, but that is a hack at best and doesn't show higher z levels.

Inside it's slightly better since people don't change z as much, but it is still much easier to have things on a single z level.

Finally, the gameplay stimulates "vertical integration" since a stairs is the same time to traverse as a normal tile, even hauling a boulder. This leads to unrealistic and ugly designs.

IMHO, DF2D ("classic boatmurdered") was better than 3D... Space constraints force interesting design choices, having a third dimension makes space practically infinite...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

With 0.12 they integrated "surfaces". So in theory it's already there.
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ua/Surface
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”