[0.12]Ideas, suggestions & discussion

The raillayer; must have, if you want to play with railway.

Moderator: Choumiko

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12]Ideas, suggestions & discussion

Post by Boogieman14 »

Nah, this is such a fringe case that I suspect any development time spent on it would be far better spent elsewhere :)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Speaking of development time ;)

Do you think it would be feasible to implement a toggle for the blueprint? Right now you could clear and then re-read the same blueprint set, but it might be nice to have a toggle to switch between blueprint-based building or regular building. That would make it easier for me to use FARL for laying the main line and then switching to building a specific siding going into a station.

And while I'm suggesting features: I realize it's pretty hard to place the tracks other than the main track in turns, but it might be useful if it would clear out any trees and rocks within blueprint range at least to make room for manually placing the curves there.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Boogieman14 wrote:Do you think it would be feasible to implement a toggle for the blueprint? Right now you could clear and then re-read the same blueprint set, but it might be nice to have a toggle to switch between blueprint-based building or regular building. That would make it easier for me to use FARL for laying the main line and then switching to building a specific siding going into a station.
Under Settings you can toggle placing of parallel tracks already. I could at this option to the main ui, so it's easier to reach?

Boogieman14 wrote:And while I'm suggesting features: I realize it's pretty hard to place the tracks other than the main track in turns, but it might be useful if it would clear out any trees and rocks within blueprint range at least to make room for manually placing the curves there.
Should be quite easy, i'll see what I can do.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Choumiko wrote: Under Settings you can toggle placing of parallel tracks already. I could at this option to the main ui, so it's easier to reach?
:oops: I had noticed that toggle, just never considered it would do just this... I'll give that a try next time i play.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Boogieman14 wrote: :oops: I had noticed that toggle, just never considered it would do just this... I'll give that a try next time i play.
It's not exactly toggling between blueprint / no blueprint layout. It's just not placing the tracks/signals for parallel lines. Poles and other stuff will be built as defined in the blueprint. Should be good enough or even better than switching to the standard layout?

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

I'm curious about this planned feature :
Pathfinding and automated driving to location
Do we setup some marker on map, than FARL will go to that marker automatically ?

Also, maybe a bit of stretch of my current skill, but i will starting to learn 3D program (Cinema4D) soon (next week).
Maybe i can contribute to make a model for FARL ?

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

waduk wrote:I'm curious about this planned feature :
Pathfinding and automated driving to location
Do we setup some marker on map, than FARL will go to that marker automatically ?
Ideally, yes. But i might have to ditch the pathfinding and instead have the player programm it like: go 1k tiles north, go 500 tiles northeast, go 50 tiles east. Or maybe have it programmable by some sort of drone that let's you define waypoints. Last time i tried pathfinding was a pain and slow to find the path.
waduk wrote:Also, maybe a bit of stretch of my current skill, but i will starting to learn 3D program (Cinema4D) soon (next week).
Maybe i can contribute to make a model for FARL ?
Depending on the result i guess that would be nice :D

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

That's really awesome, yeah this will be a really-really useful feature. Factorio is all about automating, right?
Wow...

Haha, yeah, it's up to you to decide. I will not posted the attempt on forum (PM's you instead), if i submitted my work.
Will be embarrassed by newb attempt at 3D modelling, hehe...

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

Please advise when "Enter" bug will be fixed.

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

Could you please add compatibility for multiple forces? As far as I know only the placed entities are incompatible, rails etc.

Edit:
In FARL.lua replace all game.force.player with self.driver.force and it should work with multiple forces. I don't think if any issues occur by doing this, I tested it and it worked like a charm for me.

crazylionator
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by crazylionator »

I like your mod very much.
But can you add support to another mods? I playing game with Bob's mods and there are Big poles MK2, MK3. They have longer distance.

xiaohong
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xiaohong »

Really like the mod Choumiko.

The license is TBD for your mod.I am planning to make my own mod that is about trains, can I use you code? It will not be a clone of your mod, focused on a whole different area, but automated rail laying will be useful in my mod.

Suggestion, I have played a lot with your mod and one of the parts that is really annoying is when I want to connect back to an existing track with FARL, its really hard to aim/align to the existing track. An Idea that could partially mitigate the problem would be to add a laser guild that could be placed at the start/end of the track, an object that shoots a laser guild in one direction for a long distance, this way we will have more time to aim for the track. Something like a buildcraft landmark:

It would probably be really easy to add, just an entity with a really long sprite, and would make life much easier. Then again this might already be in another mod.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

xiaohong wrote:Really like the mod Choumiko.

The license is TBD for your mod.I am planning to make my own mod that is about trains, can I use you code? It will not be a clone of your mod, focused on a whole different area, but automated rail laying will be useful in my mod.
It would probably be really easy to add, just an entity with a really long sprite, and would make life much easier. Then again this might already be in another mod.
Feel free to use it, though you might want to hold off a bit, since i'm rewriting the rail laying part, to be better/support parallel curves and stuff. Licencse for the code is MIT or something similar, reason for tbd is: not sure what license the sprite has to be, since it's merely a recolored vanilla loco..

I guess a custom rail piece with an added lang colorful line should do it. When 0.13 is out and the better rail pathfinding is accessible via API , FARL is gonna learn to do it automatically for sure :D

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

you should wait with the curves until 0.13, as it will have more types of curve
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

MightyMike
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MightyMike »

Is it possible to add a "'demolition derby" mode that picks everything up you drive thru, somewhat like the maintenance mode but then picking up everything. Just in case you want to build a train track thru the middle of you base of solar farm?

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Plopping new train station for FARL, then this happened :
Pic
I guess it's meant to be.
I keep the name :D
It's an honor.

DutchJer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DutchJer »

hi choumiko,

I know a bit of coding, and i was wondering is it hard to make it work with different poles, poles like bobs mods higher tier poles, or for example the concrete lamppost, so my rails are nice and lit up.

Factorio2016
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorio2016 »

:?:
you can cut down the forest with the help of robots? staying inside the train.
a lot of laid railway tracks, but little time has passed. not realistic
English is not my native language. Translator.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Factorio2016 wrote::?:
you can cut down the forest with the help of robots? staying inside the train.
a lot of laid railway tracks, but little time has passed. not realistic
If i understand you right you want robots to cut trees/place the rails?
Thought about this a while ago (https://github.com/Choumiko/FARL/issues/34) and the possible issues seem to become more and more whenver i think about it again. It would be really cool i guess.

Return to “F.A.R.L”