Friday Facts #112 - Better noise

Regular reports on Factorio development.
vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #112 - Better noise

Post by vaderciya »

Alright, so if no space platform, then what is the end game? Will it be the rocket silo shoot a rocket and just win? Or shall it be some other, possibly more interesting and cool end game? Maybe your scanners pick up reports of a ridiculous biter mutation.

The behemoth biter as it was growing in its egg alongside its brothers in its hatchery had a unique mutation, its skull and brain became enlarged and many times larger than its brothers. After it hatched and began to roam it learned at a much faster rate than the others and quickly began to overtake even the oldest biters and ancient spitters. It got larger and became smarter and stronger, its will dominating the other biters. Soon it could control and manipulate them to do what it wanted. And so it grew an empire, thousands of hatcheries and new alien structure/organisms were created and used while countless numbers of biters,. Spitters, and new alien creatures built up the ranks of their overlords forces.
All the while planning on attacking you, the disgusting player that ravages the planets natural beauty and abuses its natural resources. It's been planning this since it learned of you.
And now it wants to get you.

What do you all think?

Belgak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Belgak »

All I can think is why is there stone and transport belt on the belt to be put into a boiler???

Gully
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gully »

...nice FFF again.

I'm not sure how the FFT of the noise is supposed to look? For true random noise, it should be also true random I guess. Constant if you average over enough samples. Now we don't really want true random on our maps, but large structures (larger than what's generated in one step?), which means there should be a maximum somewhere. A circle around k=0 if it treats all directions equally, what looks like true if I look at the images. Is that correct?

I once tried to write a random map generator which makes smooth maps. (but I only thought about it for a few hours, you seem to have read a lot more about it and even worked through some scientific papers, so don't listen to me :D ). That was for Civilization 4 and I never finished it. I used what I remembered from my physics-study, the Ising Model, to generate structures. (structure size and surface roughness can be controlled via "temperature", land/water ratio can be controlled via the probabilities). This produced nice maps
test0000.JPG
test0000.JPG (225.55 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
but it's probably far too slow to use here.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Ising model is nice, and certainly very cool, but it is a dynamic model (for systems changing over time), and as you said - inherently slow (because it's dynamic).
still - I agree it makes cool-looking images :)

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I was about to get FO4 but decided to spend on Steam controller instead. A bit more sensible investment in my uneducated opinion, but I wound up craving for Fallout nonetheless. New Vegas is my fix for the time being.

/Replying with steam controller. Surprisingly good for browsing websites and writing short replies.

LotA
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LotA »

I'm playing Rocket League these days

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Belgak wrote:All I can think is why is there stone and transport belt on the belt to be put into a boiler???
Because - as I know it now - the image is a mockup. Not from real game. It's used to see a new graphics in it's surrounding.
Gully wrote:This produced nice maps
The problem is, that it should not only produce nice maps, it should not produce the whole map at once. Only when you discover a new chunk, the map for that chunk is generated.

See https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... _generator
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by safan »

Okay 3 things to say:

1).11 broke a lot of mods, and i mainly was waiting till these mods were updated before i could continue a 50h game. Wasting the time with RimWorld and CitiesSkylines.

2) I always wonder why mapgeneration is so hard in factorio. OpenTransportTycoon and Simcity can make nice maps with rivers and mountains. Factorio is always flat with unrealistic lakes/seas and no rivers

3)I have a mod in my head in wich i want a planet with only desert and not a single tree. At the moment this is not possible to create.

Thanks, and keep the work going.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

safan wrote:2) I always wonder why mapgeneration is so hard in factorio. OpenTransportTycoon and Simcity can make nice maps with rivers and mountains. Factorio is always flat with unrealistic lakes/seas and no rivers
I think before adding rivers they'd have to look into making water more interactable than just having it an impassable obstacle. Which is most likely, understandably, not currently high up on the priority list.

Basically, if you were to just add rivers to the current build, it'd break the game because the rivers would practically work as impassable boundaries and kind of make the whole infinite map generation thing redundant.
safan wrote:3)I have a mod in my head in wich i want a planet with only desert and not a single tree. At the moment this is not possible to create.
Yes please.

It's not a huge nuisance for me, and I never really mentioned it before, but I find it offputting how the planet seems to be for the most part this vast desert, but there are areas that resemble temperate forests. It doesn't mix well in my mind, and I like deserts a lot. Like, a lot. (avatar fitting)

I wish there was a mod that covers the entire planet in an arid desert and removes wood as a resource.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

already logged 70* hours in fallout4 .. kill me, so many problems with the PC port though, for example the game requires you to lock the fps at 60 because the damn physics are tied to the damn fps, I have a 144hz monitor and was experiencing insane bugs.

anyways sweet ff, cant wait for the switch, when my ally in mutiplayer fucks with me and we trade power for resources and doesn't hold up the bargin, BAM, no moar power for you.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Drury wrote: I think before adding rivers they'd have to look into making water more interactable than just having it an impassable obstacle. Which is most likely, understandably, not currently high up on the priority list.

Basically, if you were to just add rivers to the current build, it'd break the game because the rivers would practically work as impassable boundaries and kind of make the whole infinite map generation thing redundant.
But this would be cool anyway.
http://www.nolithius.com/game-developme ... deposition

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

So... A river made up of puddles? :)

Or you mean just the way it looks, yeah, I agree. Very river-like.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Drury wrote:So... A river made up of puddles? :)
It's actually not uncommon in deserts, where flash-floods erode the surface, mostly after small waterfalls, creating pits that may contain water long after the rest of the "river" had dried up. Until the next flash-flood, of course :)

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

I'm not a huge fan of the results of the current map generator. I understand that the devs want to be able to calculate any point of the map independently of all others, but that constraint it is getting in the way of creating fun, variable, interesting maps with replayability value. I'm sure a better map generator could be found if that constraint was dropped. Don't get me wrong, it could still be infinite.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Kayser wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the results of the current map generator. I understand that the devs want to be able to calculate any point of the map independently of all others, but that constraint it is getting in the way of creating fun, variable, interesting maps with replayability value. I'm sure a better map generator could be found if that constraint was dropped. Don't get me wrong, it could still be infinite.
Not sure what you mean by "...be able to calculate any point of the map independently of all others...", but can you explain what constraints such approach inherently has?

rgbwr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rgbwr »

Aaaagh I want to see this railroad stuff.

CovertJaguar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CovertJaguar »

I've always liked simplex, it's fast and simple. I use it for all my terrain gen in Railcraft.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

CovertJaguar wrote:I've always liked simplex, it's fast and simple. I use it for all my terrain gen in Railcraft.
If only you boosted bore head when you play with TFC mod, it would be awesome. Cheers for best train mod for MC.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Guys, do you know that the whole noise thing is supposed to be only performance improvement? At this stage, at least.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

cube wrote:Guys, do you know that the whole noise thing is supposed to be only performance improvement? At this stage, at least.
Meh, just thread world generator more and we'll have faster stuff. :)
Like why all passes have to run in 1 core? Can't they just make 1 core prepare 1 part then 2nd core process it while 1st core is preparing new and with all 4 world generation passes it could be sequenced a bit faster? If you also throw in that new faster algorithm, it should be insanely fast?

Return to “News”