Mod Adding Confirmation

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Mod Adding Confirmation

Post by TuckJohn »

I am going to but the as simply as I can for readability's sake.

Whenever you wish to load a game (say, with mods A, X, & Y installed) and you have mods A, B, X, & Y loaded, then you should have a confirmation asking if you want to add that mod to the save. For mods like "factorio maps" it would not matter too much, while loading a vanilla game with bobs mods would be terrible. I have already axidentily done that once, and only managed to keep it vannila from an autosave.

I know that it is bad from to have two topics in one thread but I have a question that goes with this: Is it currently possible to remove large mods from a savegame without having to edit the save file directly(like, in a text editor)?
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mod Adding Confirmation

Post by ssilk »

You mean: if you load a mod that includes a different set of mods than installed, the game should
- inform you (A diff: which mods would be new for this game, which mods are missing)
- ask to activate/deactivate them.

Right?
What's with mods, that are just in different versions? I mean, the same could happen: It's not working, or the mod has changed so much.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think what the base game needs is a control.lua script, with a script.on_configuration_change event that runs update_recipes and update_technologies. that was people wouldn't need to add them to migration scripts constantly, just to update recipes and technologies.

or just, like, do it automatically. New recipes and techologies are added to the game automatically, and entities are updated automatically, wh not recipes or technologies?

I'm guessing the main issue here is that when you add some mods, such as some of bob's mods, it may change the base game's recipes and stuff(EG, my electronics mod completely changes the electronics chain, MCI will change the recipe of steel plates to require only 2 iron, and change the recipe for the battery, etc.), which arn't undone again when you disable the mod (due to the lack of those 2 functions being called).
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

ssilk wrote:You mean: if you load a mod that includes a different set of mods than installed, the game should
- inform you (A diff: which mods would be new for this game, which mods are missing)
- ask to activate/deactivate them.

Right?
What's with mods, that are just in different versions? I mean, the same could happen: It's not working, or the mod has changed so much.
I am thinking more along the lines of when loading a save with different mods that you previously loaded it with, the game will inform you.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”