Save confirmation

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Save confirmation

Post by theRustyKnife »

Very simply, I think it'd be good to have a confirmation pop-up with OK and cancel buttons when saving a map. I know that it's one more (for some probably unnecessary) step to do but it happened to me a couple times that I accidentaly saved into another world which is deleted that way (always do your backups ;) ). Thank you very much

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Save confirmation

Post by bobucles »

To be fair, each world should have its own save folder.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, already suggested/discussed. :)

My current thought is still: you can give a new world a name, which creates a subdir with about the same name. "About" cause file system is not able to store every name, names with / for example.

Inside you can have many versions of this world (at different times in progress). If you start an older version you will be asked (not forced, world name is always optional!) for a new world name.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

I would love a save confirmation. I have 5 different worlds, all with different mods(Love your mods, bobbingAbout) and stages of completion, some single-player, and some multiplayer. Whenever I save I always stare at the save screen to make sure I am saving to the right file.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, I ask differently: should this confirmation only be displayed, if you're about to overwrite a map?

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

ssilk wrote:Ok, I ask differently: should this confirmation only be displayed, if you're about to overwrite a map?
IMO only if you are overwriting a different save than the one you loaded from.

otherwise it'll just create a click through behavior on each save negating the purpose of the dialog box

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ssilk wrote:Ok, I ask differently: should this confirmation only be displayed, if you're about to overwrite a map?
I would say yes.

Though, with this whole thing, it depends how much attention you're paying to what you're doing. in most cases if you're not paying enough attention to realise you've selected the wrong save name by the time you press the save button, you're probably going to still be on your autopilot, and press the "Confirm" button without checking it over too.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok. That is different to the OP, where this important point was not mentioned.
I recommend, that in this case the game provides also the option to save the world in a new files by simply adding a number-suffix to the filename.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

bobingabout wrote:Though, with this whole thing, it depends how much attention you're paying to what you're doing. in most cases if you're not paying enough attention to realise you've selected the wrong save name by the time you press the save button, you're probably going to still be on your autopilot, and press the "Confirm" button without checking it over too.
This is very true. I have serveral different saves, and the idea of overwriting one with a simple miss-click terrifies me (well, not terrify, but you get the idea) A confirmation screen would be another few seconds to realize your miss-click and cancel saving. Even better if the confirmation screen waited a half-second before popping up.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”