Strategic and Useful Floors

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Anonemuss
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Strategic and Useful Floors

Post by Anonemuss »

The new floors are wonderful, but it would be great to see floors and terrain that can be used in the front-lines against biters.

Some good examples would be:
-Spiked floors: Minor damage to anything that walks on them
-Moats,Marshes, or Trenches: Not deep enough to prevent the aliens from crossing, but slows them down while on them
-Tall Grass: high pollution absorption, naturally occurring, lowers alien detection range
-Metal Platform: Same movement speed as concrete, but the raised metal grating could allow a trap system to be implemented (traps could be hidden under the grate)
-Rubble: Slows movement, naturally occurring, can be destroyed like boulders

These were just a few ideas I came up with, but I think additional flooring like these would add an entire new element to the game, outside of the "paint the map gray" strategy most people have taken with flooring.

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Strategic and Useful Floors

Post by lancar »

This is actually not a bad idea.
it meshes well with the electricity-transferring floor previous suggested in another thread, and would add some nice variety to the gameworld.

...with some tweaks, of course. Grass shouldn't absorb that much pollution at all.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Grass already absorbs pollution, this just suggests a new grass type of tile that absorbs it faster.

As a note, if you replace most types of terrain with stone or concrete, it reduces pollution absorption. I think sand is just as bad as concrete at absorptionhowever.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

I do like the the first sugestions, but not the last 2. I think that a "metal platform" should be implemented in the form of a catwalk.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Anonemuss
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Anonemuss »

TuckJohn wrote:I do like the the first sugestions, but not the last 2. I think that a "metal platform" should be implemented in the form of a catwalk.
Yeah, the last two I actually came up with as I was typing the post. For the platform I meant "a floor that can have traps hidden underneath it", so catwalks and other examples of raised flooring follow the principle behind it. As for the rubble, I thought of it as a way to add variety to the terrain outside of actual flooring, since right now all we have are boulders and trees. But yeah, I think it was by far the least imaginative of the examples on my list.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”