Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[MOD 0.12.x] Burner Leech

Post by Klonan »

Download for version 0.13: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/BurnerLeech
  • Name: Burner Leech
  • Version: 0.1.1
  • Factorio-Version: 0.12.3
  • Description: Burner inserters will now take fuel (coal, solid fuel, wood, raw wood) from entities in their pickup range. As a side affect this fixes the self-fuelling burner problem. They take with script, not with their hand.
  • License: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
  • Release: 2015-08/08
  • Dependencies: Base (i guess lol)
  • Category: Helper mod.
  • Tags:Burner, inserters, fix, early game.
BurnerLeech_0.1.2.zip
--Fixed
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

This is a simple script based mod, only affects burner inserters.
I've tested this in SP and works as intended
Example of Build possible with Burner Leech
Old releases
Last edited by Klonan on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shakar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Burner Leech

Post by Shakar »

I think I understand the premise of this mod.

Two lines of burner inserters, another line of the object they're loading/unloading from. The first row with access to the fuel will load like normally, and then the second row of inserters will take from the object's fuel slot to fuel themselves. Is this what you were intending? If so, sounds neat and will really help early game get automated faster in my opinion.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Shakar wrote:I think I understand the premise of this mod.

Two lines of burner inserters, another line of the object they're loading/unloading from. The first row with access to the fuel will load like normally, and then the second row of inserters will take from the object's fuel slot to fuel themselves. Is this what you were intending? If so, sounds neat and will really help early game get automated faster in my opinion.
Yep, thats exactly what it does. I've played with it and its been working perfectly! and its super nice for smelting setups so you don't need to run electricity to them. It also works to fuel from a belt, if the burner inserter would not normally pickup from the belt, like putting ammo into a turret, then the mod will fuel it!

Check the pictures in the OP for some examples, any bugs please let me know

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

I can do second build example without this mod. :p
I'm sorry, this is not something I'd be playing with. (I'm really, reeaalllyy uncomfortable about using such atomic and numerous actions with lua.)
However, I thought I'd share a couple of ideas on the code. Your mod is designed to stimulate the usage of burner inserters, hence their numbers are to be expected to be large, and so will be the table of their references. Hence it'd probably be better to smear the calculations over the every tick instead of performing one bulk update each 100 tick. Something along the lines:

Code: Select all

for i=1+index, #global.burner, 100 do 
    update(global.burner[i])
end
index=index+1;
The usage of # will require you to actually clean up the references to no longer existent inserters though.

Also. Lines 49 and 75 seem to double each other.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Adil wrote:I can do second build example without this mod. :p
You mean the turret build? Im afraid not, the inserters wont pickup the coal because the turrets don't need any, therefore they won't even have an oppourtunity to fuel themselves.
Adil wrote:
Also. Lines 49 and 75 seem to double each other.
They do, I was lazy ;]
Adil wrote:Your mod is designed to stimulate the usage of burner inserters, hence their numbers are to be expected to be large, and so will be the table of their references. Hence it'd probably be better to smear the calculations over the every tick instead of performing one bulk update each 100 tick.
In my experience even with extremely large numbers of entities the update won't have an noticeable performance impact, I will have a look at updating the logic though

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

I saw your burner town stream. I thought to my self "he did the thing we chatted about". Then I just had to come find the mod. Very cool bro. You got the burner age locked down with your mods.

It just so useful for newly started worlds, I really think they will add this feature into the regular game eventually.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

laige wrote:I saw your burner town stream. I thought to my self "he did the thing we chatted about". Then I just had to come find the mod. Very cool bro. You got the burner age locked down with your mods.

It just so useful for newly started worlds, I really think they will add this feature into the regular game eventually.

Yea it really is so useful, even without any of my other mods, this just makes smelting so much simpler than without, and makes burners much more useful for a variety of other applications

It was a good suggestion you made, and i'm glad i made it ;]

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Burner Leech

Post by The Lone Wolfling »

Klonan wrote:
  • License: Ask me
Too bad.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

The Lone Wolfling wrote:
Klonan wrote:
  • License: Ask me
Too bad.

Excuse me?

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Let me rephrase: what is the license, and why do will you not say what license the code is under without being asked?

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

The Lone Wolfling wrote:Let me rephrase: what is the license, and why do will you not say what license the code is under without being asked?
Lol.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

The Lone Wolfling wrote:Let me rephrase: what is the license, and why do will you not say what license the code is under without being asked?
The licence is: Ask me.

The terms are as follows.

Ask me if you want to use code/graphics, if you're doing something OK i will say 'OK' and you can do what you like, but if i say 'Not Ok' then you cannot do it with my code.

tantrex
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tantrex »

Klonan wrote:
The licence is: Ask me.

Ask me if you want to use code/graphics, if you're doing something OK i will say 'OK' and you can do what you like, but if i say 'Not Ok' then you cannot do it with my code.
Would it not be more appropriate to put it under a CC license? https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

You can control(somewhat) how your code and content is used. Just an idea, btw great mod!

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Klonan wrote:The licence is: Ask me.

So... proprietary.

I kindly ask you to reconsider - especially for a (relatively) small tweak such as this all you're doing by having unclear license terms is pushing others to design an open clone, or just to ignore it altogether. (and yes, those license terms are unclear. Among other things, there isn't the irrevocable aspect that many mods have. And as such if someone gets halfway through a game and you decide they can't use it anymore... It also has the problem of, if you take the license at face value, people having to ask you before even installing the mod. (In which case I question why you have a d/l link in the first place...) Which is less than amusing...)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

The Lone Wolfling wrote:
Klonan wrote:The licence is: Ask me.

So... proprietary.

I kindly ask you to reconsider - especially for a (relatively) small tweak such as this all you're doing by having unclear license terms is pushing others to design an open clone, or just to ignore it altogether. (and yes, those license terms are unclear. Among other things, there isn't the irrevocable aspect that many mods have. And as such if someone gets halfway through a game and you decide they can't use it anymore... It also has the problem of, if you take the license at face value, people having to ask you before even installing the mod. (In which case I question why you have a d/l link in the first place...) Which is less than amusing...)
Ok well really i didnt think it matters since 'its such a small tweak' and I was too lazy to attach a licence...

Regardless, i've now licenced it as Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, and will probably do the same for all my mods

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Thank you very much!

dtoxic
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dtoxic »

it throws an error in the latest version of factorio

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

dtoxic wrote:it throws an error in the latest version of factorio
Fixed, download in OP

dtoxic
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dtoxic »

Klonan wrote:
dtoxic wrote:it throws an error in the latest version of factorio
Fixed, download in OP
thx :)

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello Klonan,

found this thrad after i tryed your mod-pack.

Updated and get the added error message.
Edited the info.json by myself.
Attachments
Burner Leech.png
Burner Leech.png (10.33 KiB) Viewed 11910 times

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Return to “Mods”