[0.12.9][MAC] [Michal] White top bar

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
vlczero
Inserter
Inserter

[0.12.9][MAC] [Michal] White top bar

Post by vlczero »

Factorio: 0.12.8 and 0.12.9
System info:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Mac OSX 10.10.5

Since factorio 0.12.8 i am getting a white bar at the top of the screen when starting factorio.
This did not happen in factorio 0.12.7.

Screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/cOV9P

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.12.9][MAC] White top bar

Post by ssilk »

This bug is related to https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=8446 Random spinning pinnwheel
because in the cases, when this white top bar doesn't appear, the wheel keeps spinning. I tried that now several times.

Everything else keeps as described there. I'll try tonight/the next days with ElCapitan update.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

vlczero
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vlczero »

ssilk wrote:This bug is related to https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=8446 Random spinning pinnwheel
because in the cases, when this white top bar doesn't appear, the wheel keeps spinning. I tried that now several times.

Everything else keeps as described there. I'll try tonight/the next days with ElCapitan update.

I am not getting the spinning wheel nearly as much as a few updates back, it happens sometimes but in my case the white bar still stays..

bearand
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bearand »

Same exact issue happening to me in 0.12.10 - started happening after I updated from 0.12.7 (I skipped .8 and .9).

Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015)
OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Let me know if I can provide any more info.

BlaatMekker
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BlaatMekker »

bearand wrote:Same exact issue happening to me in 0.12.10 - started happening after I updated from 0.12.7 (I skipped .8 and .9).
Same for me, but still on 10.10.5 on an 2007 iMac.

rono10000
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rono10000 »

Same issue here... pretty annoying, since version 0.12.8.

tried it on OSX 10.10.5, 10.11 and 10.11.1 (beta), on an 2009 MacBook Pro and an 2013 retina MacBook Pro, same everywhere

bar is not there when playing in windowed mode.

brab
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by brab »

I see the same thing with 0.12.16 on OS X 10.11.1.

Segundo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Segundo »

Same here.

The menu bar of Mac OS X is visible as a white bar when Factorio (0.12.20) is running in full screen mode.
The white bar is always visible when running Factorio in full screen mode.

I have not included a screenshot because it looks exactly the same as the screenshots posted earlier in this forum thread.

Macbook Pro5,1 (late 2008 model)
Mac OS X 10.9.5
8 GB RAM
Geforce 9600M GT 512 MB VRAM

Apart from the white menu bar Factorio 0.12.20 runs very stable and smooth.

Hope this small glitch can be fixed soon.

xaviershay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xaviershay »

Same on 0.12.20 on El Capitan (10.11.2), Mid-2014 Macbook Pro with 15" Retina.

PostfixingEdginess
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PostfixingEdginess »

Same here on OS X 10.9.5.

It happens on both 720p and 1080p.

IsaacHeron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by IsaacHeron »

I think I had the same issue when I first started factorio a few days ago in fullscreen mode.
The easy fix I'm using is NOT using fullscreen mode but to use the window's native zoom button (formerly +). It maximized the window and gives it its own space (as in OS X's Mission Control spaces).
Using a trackpad or shortcuts you can easily switch between factorio and other OS X stuff.

BlaatMekker
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BlaatMekker »

IsaacHeron wrote:I think I had the same issue when I first started factorio a few days ago in fullscreen mode.
The easy fix I'm using is NOT using fullscreen mode but to use the window's native zoom button (formerly +). It maximized the window and gives it its own space (as in OS X's Mission Control spaces).
Using a trackpad or shortcuts you can easily switch between factorio and other OS X stuff.
The issue with this method is that it doesn't disable hot corners, meaning that my machine will go to sleep if I move my mouse too far from the center.

IsaacHeron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by IsaacHeron »

The issue with this method is that it doesn't disable hot corners, meaning that my machine will go to sleep if I move my mouse too far from the center.
Good point. I only use one hot corner to disable the screensaver so this is no issue for me. Have a look at this: http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... -such-full
You can add modifier keys to the hot corners.

Also there is BettTouchTool (https://www.boastr.net) which has "hot corners" and "Configure everything on a per application or global basis."
That's what the features list says (I haven't used the app in years). It has a trial download so you might want to give it a try.

ergzay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ergzay »

I'm just confirming that this still happens. I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.5 when I go fullscreen. There's a solid white bar across the top of the screen in the place of where the menu bar usually is.

IsaacHeron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by IsaacHeron »

ergzay wrote:I'm just confirming that this still happens. I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.5 when I go fullscreen. There's a solid white bar across the top of the screen in the place of where the menu bar usually is.
Have you seen the workaround I've posted earlier?
I wrote:The easy fix I'm using is NOT using fullscreen mode but to use the window's native zoom button (formerly +). It maximized the window and gives it its own space (as in OS X's Mission Control spaces).

ergzay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ergzay »

IsaacHeron wrote:
ergzay wrote:I'm just confirming that this still happens. I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.5 when I go fullscreen. There's a solid white bar across the top of the screen in the place of where the menu bar usually is.
Have you seen the workaround I've posted earlier?
I wrote:The easy fix I'm using is NOT using fullscreen mode but to use the window's native zoom button (formerly +). It maximized the window and gives it its own space (as in OS X's Mission Control spaces).
That gives me even less space as then I have the window's title bar as well as the top menu bar. It's not a workaround.

IsaacHeron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by IsaacHeron »

ergzay wrote:That gives me even less space as then I have the window's title bar as well as the top menu bar. It's not a workaround.
That sounds like you are only maximizing the window, not making it full screen (which creates a new space for only one window). I'm talking about this: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18744?locale=en_US

Try to option+click the green button in the top left, this might help. I'm not at my Mac at the moment so can't double check.

ergzay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ergzay »

IsaacHeron wrote:
ergzay wrote:That gives me even less space as then I have the window's title bar as well as the top menu bar. It's not a workaround.
That sounds like you are only maximizing the window, not making it full screen (which creates a new space for only one window). I'm talking about this: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18744?locale=en_US

Try to option+click the green button in the top left, this might help. I'm not at my Mac at the moment so can't double check.
That work around does appear to work, but I wish the factorio devs would comment on this. It's a pretty major issue seen immediately as play begins and gives a bad presentation to the game. I'm kind of surprised it's been around for over a year and nothing's been done and no one has even commented on it. Do the devs read these threads?

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

I have not been able to reproduce the problem yet, on multiple versions of OS X and multiple computers.

IsaacHeron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by IsaacHeron »

Any specific info you need?
I'm a dev myself so it shouldn't be a problem to provide you with detailed information.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”