Local power connector module for modular armor

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Local power connector module for modular armor

Post by vzybilly »

I like this idea. I will try to write a mod here in the next hour, might take a week otherwise.
Will code for Food. I also have 11+ mods!

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

I think at one point I had batteries so large it would take half an hour or so to fully recharge them with 4 MK4 fusion reactors (4 times as powerful as base game reactor), and the shields and lasers were so power hungry, it could fully depleat those batteries in about 2 minutes... but then you had to pretty much walk through a heavy biter base to not only keep the weapons going constantly, but also have biters and spitters constantly bombarding you to make all those shields draw power too.
Modded numbers don't really apply here. Anyone can crank X up to 11 and say "well it won't work because eleven". The topic should remain around the base game, and in the base game batteries are incredibly WEAK. They can not sustain a player as an independent power source, and only have moderate use strictly for buffering shields. A power source that requires "docking" will not work if the player suit can not sustain a charge for more than a minute or so.

A player is regularly inside a power grid area, and can choose to remain in one as long as they like. A power source that only activates inside a power grid is perfectly fine. It requires no effort inside the protected area, and only needs careful consideration if the player chooses to leave their base. It is no less a weak point than a power source which only works at daytime.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I would go so far and remove the power armor solar modules. They are ridiculous. :) Instead of them having a such a charge module. It would enable to put more batteries into the suit which should then fit perfectly to a strategy of going back and forth between a power pole and a biter nest.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ssilk wrote:I would go so far and remove the power armor solar modules. They are ridiculous. :) Instead of them having a such a charge module. It would enable to put more batteries into the suit which should then fit perfectly to a strategy of going back and forth between a power pole and a biter nest.
Exactly.

It would be best used as an early game modular armor charger.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes.
I think also it should be so, that this charger needs not to be fully in an pole-area, it can work also outside of that area but of course with much less efficiency.

Or - more fun - the very first version of this device adds a "special pole" to the character, that connects like a big pole, if you are near enough to another pole.
He runs around with connected cables. :) Like an aquanaut connected to the compressed air.

That visible feedback would also help to understand, how the device works. And it is also an good lesson for new players, that in the beginning you cannot survive without your factory in background.

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vzybilly »

I know that I don't get reactors till late game, new 70ish hours, till then I'm on solar for my roboports. even now in my new world, I have a level one power armour with 3 batteries, 2 shields, one roboport and the rest solars (31? might be 36...) and I can still burn through the power during the day. I feel that the low level power options are quite unhelpful (batteries and solar.).

As for a big power pole connected, it would depend on the poles around, if they can't reach with their wires then it wouldn't connect. meaning it would only be useful with other big power poles around... this would also cause the issue of items being powered if the player stands next to them...

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

vzybilly wrote:I know that I don't get reactors till late game, new 70ish hours, till then I'm on solar for my roboports. even now in my new world, I have a level one power armour with 3 batteries, 2 shields, one roboport and the rest solars (31? might be 36...) and I can still burn through the power during the day. I feel that the low level power options are quite unhelpful (batteries and solar.).

As for a big power pole connected, it would depend on the poles around, if they can't reach with their wires then it wouldn't connect. meaning it would only be useful with other big power poles around... this would also cause the issue of items being powered if the player stands next to them...
Unless I have a large forest to clear, I never make power armor untill I have the items to research the fusion reactor.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vzybilly »

TuckJohn wrote:
vzybilly wrote:I know that I don't get reactors till late game, new 70ish hours, till then I'm on solar for my roboports. even now in my new world, I have a level one power armour with 3 batteries, 2 shields, one roboport and the rest solars (31? might be 36...) and I can still burn through the power during the day. I feel that the low level power options are quite unhelpful (batteries and solar.).

Unless I have a large forest to clear, I never make power armor untill I have the items to research the fusion reactor.
I rush for robo buddies... it's my downfall... I just gotta have em~
And with the personal robo buddies... I... I just can't take it... I wanna pet all of them~ I wish I could colour code them (even if it's just a tape following behind them of that colour) and give them names in game... poor charles though... he didn't deserve that behemoth's stomach...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Need to point to this thread
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=17053 Make moving objekts acceppt Power from The Grid

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

ssilk wrote:Need to point to this thread
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=17053 Make moving objekts acceppt Power from The Grid
You kinda made a loop there I think, and neither have a solution.

There was a mod that added electric trains at one point, no idea which one it was, and never tried it. Assuming it used accumulators instead of laser turret dummies, it probably broke with the update that broke customized accumulators.

And I still wonder how either of these topics are still asking, when I already posted a link to my mod which already solved this problem. Or why no one acknowledged that I posed that...
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ranakastrasz wrote: You kinda made a loop there I think, and neither have a solution.
It's not a solution, it's the suggestion to combine these two suggestions. I thought it is clear, cause it makes sense, to have an interface which enables either vehicles or the character or its modular armor to a power grid.
And I still wonder how either of these topics are still asking, when I already posted a link to my mod which already solved this problem. Or why no one acknowledged that I posed that...
Nice, that there is a mod, but suggestions are also thought for the devs to implement it into vanilla.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

ssilk wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote: You kinda made a loop there I think, and neither have a solution.
It's not a solution, it's the suggestion to combine these two suggestions. I thought it is clear, cause it makes sense, to have an interface which enables either vehicles or the character or its modular armor to a power grid.
Nice, that there is a mod, but suggestions are also thought for the devs to implement it into vanilla.
I'd really like it in vanilla. Mod that does that is a bit hackish.

And ability to have modular armor powered from grid and maybe even vehicles would be really nice. Would also make some mods much easier to make.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

ssilk wrote:
Oh, that makes more sense.

I suppose my two cents is that I would prefer more modding support type stuff over implementing things that mods can already do.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
ssilk wrote:
Oh, that makes more sense.

I suppose my two cents is that I would prefer more modding support type stuff over implementing things that mods can already do.
Mods are great a way to get even more content for your game than the developer provides.
But...
Substituting proper game development for mods is a slippery slope due to the (often) conflicting wills involved.
Vanilla content is more easily controlled, bugfixed, balanced and meshed with other core features.

Also, don't forget that if it's a vanilla feature, it's supported by the game developer. If it's a mod, it's supported by a random person on the internet. Which one would you rather put your trust in when the version updates start rolling? (no offense) :)

OT: I've always wanted some sort of suit connector, especially before you get the fusion reactors or when you build outpost bases with mobile roboports.

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vzybilly »

One of my issues is that you can have an electric energy source for cars and trains, that *should* connect it to the network for power but instead, doesn't and causes crashes in the GUIs. There's no notes that you can't do that except for it just not working and crashing. That's one of my biggest issues over several threads here.

I've been told that my thought of how to do it, "is how it is in the code" but, if it is, why does it not work?

GUIs and Power Network needs a look over from the modding perspective.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

vzybilly wrote:One of my issues is that you can have an electric energy source for cars and trains, that *should* connect it to the network for power but instead, doesn't and causes crashes in the GUIs. There's no notes that you can't do that except for it just not working and crashing. That's one of my biggest issues over several threads here.

I've been told that my thought of how to do it, "is how it is in the code" but, if it is, why does it not work?

GUIs and Power Network needs a look over from the modding perspective.
Prepare a small mod that crashes and post a bug report with it.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Allow Modular Armor to Gain Energy from Electric Network

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

I noticed that immediately after you research basic modular armor, you get an armor item that has zero benefits over the previous heavy armor. You cannot gain any usage from the modular armor until you research portable solar panel and at least one other module. It seems to take so long to get anywhere that you might as well skip ahead and research power armor, and never even bother crafting a basic modular armor.

I've got some suggestions to improve the early game use of modular armor:

1.) Allow modular armors to collect energy from your electric network, so while you're standing within the power range of any electric pole, you could gain power from your generators. It could have a maximum rate of power in, but would give you a way to charge it before you have researched portable solar panel.

2.) Give modular armors a small amount of energy storage. Batteries will be a huge help, but before you have researched the tech, you at least have some slight capacity to hold a charge. I'm thinking basic modular armor base energy storage should be about 50% of one standard battery. It's not much but it's a lot more than nothing.

3.) Give a free module tech with the armor, so after you research it you can immediately craft it and put it to use. Maybe something like an energized armor plating. It could be something that absorbs charge to increase your physical resistance a bit. Without any other module tech, you wouldn't be able to stay charged for more than a few seconds outside your electric network, but the resistance would be very helpful in base defense!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow Modular Armor to Gain Energy from Electric Network

Post by bobingabout »

Allowing the armor to connect to the electric grid isn't a new idea, in fact I think the suggestion most people agreed on is that you research a module for the armor that allows this connection, along with special entities (power poles) in the world that interface with this module. so you'd have to stand specifically within the area of influence of this charging station, with the charging module in your armor to be powered from your grid.

From what I recall, it was a relatively early tech before you get the reactor, the idea being you charge your suit at the base, then go out and fight, when power gets low you retreat back to base.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

I don't see too much of a problem with making it a tech you can research, but I really do think the modular armor should have SOME use immediately, even if it's just higher base stats.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Agreed. the first module armor is in a weird spot.
Personally i think there should be a burner generator too unlocked at the same time as the armor.

Modular Armor revamp has some excellent ideas and I hope some of them make it to the game.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”