More Useful Robots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

me_me_me_rawr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

More Useful Robots

Post by me_me_me_rawr »

For most situations the follower robot count max is a bit much (134) and I have rarely had above 90 while taking on gigantic nests. I think it would be interesting to have some more utility with the follower robots and potentially some upgrades for the time they stick around.

1. Shield Robots - Provides the player the equivalent shielding of one mk 1 shield module then after she shield is drained the robot dies. Potentially further levels similar to the current combat robots that would provide additional shielding.
2. Personal Deconstruction Robots - These robots would follow the player and deconstruct things marked by the player (Potentially making it a bit easier to cut through forests so you don't have to shoot your way through >.> )
3. Specialized Robot Ports - These robot ports would aid your defensive turrets by maintaining a minimum number of construction robots and auto request repair packs similar to requester chests.
3b. Builder Ports - These robot ports would request specified buildings materials and provide them to construction robots but make them unavailable to logistics robots.

Potentially the idea for builder ports would instead (or additionally) be added to chests. I would like to see a way to stock a nearby chest for my construction robots like a requester chest but not have the items available to logistics robots.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: More Useful Robots

Post by ssilk »

me_me_me_rawr wrote:For most situations the follower robot count max is a bit much (134) and I have rarely had above 90 while taking on gigantic nests. I think it would be interesting to have some more utility with the follower robots and potentially some upgrades for the time they stick around.

1. Shield Robots - Provides the player the equivalent shielding of one mk 1 shield module then after she shield is drained the robot dies. Potentially further levels similar to the current combat robots that would provide additional shielding.
Nice, if you had made that as extra suggestion I could put it to the other robot suggestions. :)
2. Personal Deconstruction Robots - These robots would follow the player and deconstruct things marked by the player (Potentially making it a bit easier to cut through forests so you don't have to shoot your way through >.> )
But ... the construction robots do already that???
3. Specialized Robot Ports - These robot ports would aid your defensive turrets by maintaining a minimum number of construction robots and auto request repair packs similar to requester chests.
3b. Builder Ports - These robot ports would request specified buildings materials and provide them to construction robots but make them unavailable to logistics robots.
See point 1. Multiple suggestions cannot be useful discussed.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

That is a personal roboport for power armor but they can deconstruct and place things

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

I like the idea of sheild robots as an addition to combat robots, but I feel like the other suggestions are garbage (sorry for being harsh)
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Hanzzz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Hanzzz »

Since this post is recent, I'll add my robot suggestion here, what about mining robots (that would be able to mine coal and ores and put them straight into logistic system)?

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

Hanzzz wrote:Since this post is recent, I'll add my robot suggestion here, what about mining robots (that would be able to mine coal and ores and put them straight into logistic system)?
Good idea! Almost worthy of creating a forums account to share with the interwebs! :P

But on your idea, I like it. on my second playthough I decided to go all bot-crazy, and loaded a 3-wagon train with 50 miners useing only logisics. It would be interesting to add bots to could curcumvent the need to build all those miners (unless they require it in the recipie...) :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hanzzz wrote:Since this post is recent, I'll add my robot suggestion here, what about mining robots (that would be able to mine coal and ores and put them straight into logistic system)?
And what would you await doing them? O. k. mining, of course. But that was not the question. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Placing one robo-mining-port instead of dozens of drills on a dozen outposts is a really really good idea! But what about performance?

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Play on a death world ... 134 robots isn't really all that much. You will still get pushed back frequently. I generally keep the numbers of bots I have capped out. Don't assume because it's easy on your settings that you use it's too much.

Shield idea is interesting, not sure I would ever use that. We would need some new game mechanic to make that useful IMO.

don't remember what the other suggestions were.

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

Mining robots would be epic. It would go a long way to helping the with creating a self-perpetuating blueprint.

Some extra ideas for combat robots:
  • Robotic Mine: Robot that runs at the enemy once in range and detonates. (Destructive, but single use. Prefers to target alien nests.)
  • Gas Drone: Rushes enemy and deploys slowdown and poison gas as many times as possible. (Likely to die quickly though).
I cannot really think of robots that can fill a niche that isn't already covered by other robots or other mechanics.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

UberWaffe wrote:Mining robots would be epic. It would go a long way to helping the with creating a self-perpetuating blueprint.

Some extra ideas for combat robots:
  • Robotic Mine: Robot that runs at the enemy once in range and detonates. (Destructive, but single use. Prefers to target alien nests.)
  • Gas Drone: Rushes enemy and deploys slowdown and poison gas as many times as possible. (Likely to die quickly though).
I cannot really think of robots that can fill a niche that isn't already covered by other robots or other mechanics.
I have a question for you though; how would those robotic mines be different then a rocket launcher?
Also, would you have to "pay/make" the capsules that the gas drone deployes?

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

TuckJohn wrote:I have a question for you though; how would those robotic mines be different then a rocket launcher?
Mainly I thought that the rocket launcher is limited in its rate of fire, while a swarm of these robots would make for a more viable 'hit-and-run' tactic, in that you can run in with a swarm, have them wallop the nest, and then make a beeline away (or deploy more bots and continue the fight).
Jason Nesmith wrote:And what you fail to realize is my ship... is dragging mines!
Car drive-by with a swarm of mine drones anyone?
TuckJohn wrote:Also, would you have to "pay/make" the capsules that the gas drone deployes?
I figured simply to make their recipe include the cost of two or three gas capsules, since it is unlikely they will survive long enough to deploy more than that anyway.
If they do, bonus, but it isn't like you'd be scoring massive amount of resources anyway.
Overall, destroyers bots would likely still have the best return on investment in terms of damage dealt versus their cost.
The main idea behind these gas drones are 'pay extra resources -> get auto-deploy of capsules'.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

UberWaffe wrote:
TuckJohn wrote:Also, would you have to "pay/make" the capsules that the gas drone deployes?
I figured simply to make their recipe include the cost of two or three gas capsules, since it is unlikely they will survive long enough to deploy more than that anyway.
If they do, bonus, but it isn't like you'd be scoring massive amount of resources anyway.
Overall, destroyers bots would likely still have the best return on investment in terms of damage dealt versus their cost.
The main idea behind these gas drones are 'pay extra resources -> get auto-deploy of capsules'.
How could you make sure that the gas drones dont just drop capsules on top of you or where you are about to walk?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”