Rocket Research needs to be split up.

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Rocket Research needs to be split up.

Post by TuckJohn »

I understand that the endgame is still a WIP, but I think that the research to rocket deffence should be more split up. Perhaps into different components of the rocket, such as rocket fuel and low-density sturctures. I dont like fact that now you get the research and then have APSOLUTLY EVERYTHING AT ONCE and it does not really give you direction in terms of "You just got _, now research another component required for the rocket."
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Rocket Research needs to be split up.

Post by bobingabout »

I think what we currently have for rockets was basically redesigning the way you build the rocket, but then just putting all the new stuff on the existing research.

splitting it up is a good idea, but probably already in the pipeline.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Yeah I would say not just research but clearly new components etc... I think honestly a new resource even....

pyrolytic_tungsten
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pyrolytic_tungsten »

I agree that the research should be split up a bit.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

You speed up research by building more labs. That's a simple problem with a simple solution.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

Rseding91 wrote:You speed up research by building more labs. That's a simple problem with a simple solution.
I don't think people are complaining about the speed --- Indeed, if my own experiences are common, having far more stuff to spend our science packs on just for the sake of spending those packs would be nice --- rather the gist I get is that folks would rather have stuff like rocket control units, low density structure, and rocket fuel to be integrated into the factory in other areas so they don't have to suddenly build up a new sector all at once.

Using low density structure for light and/or buoyant objects like piers, planes, boats and, --- oh the humanity --- airships for example.

Likewise using rocket fuel to craft missiles, or missile based artillery, before the rocket silo becomes available or using rocket control units as part of a stationary missile battery.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

The Phoenixian wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:You speed up research by building more labs. That's a simple problem with a simple solution.
I don't think people are complaining about the speed --- Indeed, if my own experiences are common, having far more stuff to spend our science packs on just for the sake of spending those packs would be nice --- rather the gist I get is that folks would rather have stuff like rocket control units, low density structure, and rocket fuel to be integrated into the factory in other areas so they don't have to suddenly build up a new sector all at once.

Using low density structure for light and/or buoyant objects like piers, planes, boats and, --- oh the humanity --- airships for example.

Likewise using rocket fuel to craft missiles, or missile based artillery, before the rocket silo becomes available or using rocket control units as part of a stationary missile battery.
I was not looking at it that way(to add more features centered around the rocket building parts)- but you said it well. I am not concerned about speed when researching Rocket Silo- it is more along the lines that everything is grouped together into one research, when, IMO, it should be split up into separate researchers for rocket fuel, low density structures, control units, satellite, and the actual rocket silo. At the bare minimum the satellite should be a separate research then the rocket silo.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

It would be nice for some of the materials to find their way into other items, rather than being ONLY rocket materials.

For example the low density structure would be a nice replacement for steel in the Power Armor MKII recipe. Currently both variants of power armor use the same stuff, just different amounts.

Linosaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Linosaurus »

TuckJohn wrote:I was not looking at it that way(to add more features centered around the rocket building parts)- but you said it well. I am not concerned about speed when researching Rocket Silo- it is more along the lines that everything is grouped together into one research, when, IMO, it should be split up into separate researchers for rocket fuel, low density structures, control units, satellite, and the actual rocket silo. At the bare minimum the satellite should be a separate research then the rocket silo.
Yeah I'd prefer it if it was split up in multiple research items.

I prefer my gameplay to be a bit like this:
- research low density structure.
- set up a production line for low density structure.
- research rocket fuel
- set up a production line for rocket fuel
- etc etc

I like getting one new thing at the time, even if it's useless on its own. Getting ~5 new things at once is a little overwhelming. Though of course this is just my preference.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yes, the speed of the research is not the issue, it's the amount of new things you unlock in one go, it just needs splitting up so that you build it piece by piece rather than being overwhelmed and have to figure out in what order to build everything.

The suggestion of also using some components for other processes is a good idea as well.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

Linosaurus wrote:
TuckJohn wrote:I was not looking at it that way(to add more features centered around the rocket building parts)- but you said it well. I am not concerned about speed when researching Rocket Silo- it is more along the lines that everything is grouped together into one research, when, IMO, it should be split up into separate researchers for rocket fuel, low density structures, control units, satellite, and the actual rocket silo. At the bare minimum the satellite should be a separate research then the rocket silo.
Yeah I'd prefer it if it was split up in multiple research items.

I prefer my gameplay to be a bit like this:
- research low density structure.
- set up a production line for low density structure.
- research rocket fuel
- set up a production line for rocket fuel
- etc etc

I like getting one new thing at the time, even if it's useless on its own. Getting ~5 new things at once is a little overwhelming. Though of course this is just my preference.
This is exactly my position on the subject.

Return to “Balancing”