[MOD 0.17.x] Modular Armor Revamp

Topics and discussion about specific mods
DaCyclops
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Modular Armor Revamp

Post by DaCyclops »

For showing the fuel usage for the burner generator/fusion generator, what about creating a custom "weapon" that doesnt fire (or fires no ammo REALLY slowly for no range or damage)but only accepts the fuel as its ammo (or a custom "fuel insertion cell" or something you can quickly craft from each of the fuels and provides the relevant "charge"). Then have the generator pull directly from that list instead of normal inventory. If a player wants to use those generators effectively, they need to give up a weapon slot (not that much a problem, but still, a sacrifice). And maybe they have to micromanage it themselves so they are not out of fuel when they need it?

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I kinda like the idea of being required to manually put fuel items into the Burner Generator and the Fusion Reactor. That way, I can leave it un-fuelled some of the time and rely on my Conduits to recharge my Batteries.

Ideally, though, there should be a toggle to set auto-refuel for the Burner Genreator and the Fusion Reactor to ON or OFF.

I was about to suggest that a "cheap" workaround is to have two Burner Generators in the mod, one that does auto-refuel from inventory and one that doesn't, and that may work well for Burner Generators, but it's somewhat absurd to have to craft two Fusion Generators in order to be able to switch to a desired functionality depending on one's current needs, since they're very expensive to craft.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I considered adding a weapon for this. I rejected it mainly because I am working on another mod that uses multiple weapons which you will need to use in game. Without being able to add more slots, that isn't really an option.

Multiple instances of the item is a possibility, but if you can't actually manually load it it won't really matter. I have no way to currently manually load it.

The goal is to add a gui, similar to blueprint string, module/upgrade planner, or other mods like those. It would open a window with fuel slots, you drop fuel in, and it access fuel from there.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

A 1x1 Conduit has a transfer rate of 500 kW.

Based on that, and your usual preference for a roughly x2 size = x2.5 power/energy scaling, I suggest that a 1x2 Conduit transfer 1200 kW (or 1250 if you prefer), 3 MW for a 2x2 Conduit, and 7.5 MW for a 2x4 Conduit.

Crafting cost of the 2 tile one could be x3 the small one, crafting cost of the 4 tile one could be x10 the small one, and crafting cost of the 8 tile one could be x30 the small one. Or whatever scaling you prefer. I'm always very keen on pimping my Modular Armor (and later Power Armor) and high cost doesn't deter me, nor do I think it deters other players.

But I am thinking that it'd be nice if your non-square Conduits were wider-than-tall (thus 1x2 and 2x4, not 2x1 and 4x2), since most other modules in your mod (and in the vanilla game) are taller-than-wide, and so it'd be nice for a change (and make it easier to outfit the Armors).

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Yea. I did seriously want to make some horizontally large stuff. However, one of the main issues is a lack of any proper sprites for me to use. Most sprites are square, and tiling them doesn't look very nice. You might have seen the T2 battery, with two batteries on their side, merged together. I also can't draw at all, otherwise I would have made it look like it was a little battery box with two batteries, like you might see in an old gameboy or w.e.

Larger conduits are an option, but it would actually require me to reduce the first one's power amount. The ability to simply fill any open spaces with them was the main reason I made them 1x1. Like solar panels in the base game, but they aren't crappy.

As is, I made them literally more powerful than a fusion reactor, so if I were to add larger ones, then the basic one would be significantly weaker.

Amusing to see that someoe noticed my approximation scale up thinggy. Although it varies a lot. For the battery at least, I think I took a base amount, doubled it and the size of the module each level, then added some extra amount so it was a nice even looking number.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I've found a bug and an unintended behaviour in your v0.10 version:

1. When your mod is enabled, time freezes at 12.00 noon and never changes. Disabling the mod causes time to move forward again.

2. Your mod grants a lot of items to the player, including 50 Electric Mining Drills and a lot of other stuff. I imagine that was some kind of test functioanity that you put into the mod, in order to be able to more easily test it before releasing it, but then you forgot to remove or disable it again. I've tested several times, and again, enabling your mod causes this behaviour to happen, whether I start a new game or load a saved game from before the mod was enabled, whereas with your mod disabled, it doesn't happen.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I removed V10 for now. I need to figure out why it crashes. Also, I accidentally left debug mode on.

Debug mode Gives a bunch of stuff for testing, as well as locks it to noon for using solar panels and conduits.
Last edited by Ranakastrasz on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Uploaded V11.
I have no idea how I fixed it. So far as I can tell, I disabled the whole script then re-enabled it, and it suddenly worked fine.
Notably, I had a script error which wasn't showing up before, which has been resolved.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Even after installing v11, I still had to use the console command to disable the always_day thingie flag, to make time progress as normal, but when starting a new game, with v11 enabled, time progresses as normal.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Ya, debug mode being disabled doesn't run that command's inverse. Otherwise it would overwrite any attempt to pause day night
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

As per Rana's request, I'm copying this to this thread:
Ranakastrasz wrote:
Peter34 wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote:Modular armor's v10 is a bit unstable. It mostly works, but not with games with the older version previously installed. It causes a non-script crash, and I have no idea how to fix it yet.
Thats what I get for trying to add compatability with other mods, as well as a seperate config...
I was able to fix things when I upgraded your Armor mod from 0.08 to 0.10. I had to fiddle around a bit, remove and re-insert modules, and I don't recall the details, but I did get my MkII Power Armor to work again, without losing any of the expensive stuff I had built.
Move this to the other thread? I could use the feedback to determine what went wrong. It just crashes for me.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

V12
Rebalanced Solar panel, Conduit, fusion reactor.
Solar panel T1 75kW -> 125kW, which averages to ~88W. Additionally it requires the old 5 solar panels again.
Solar Panel T2 1000kW -> 1300kW, which averages to ~910kW, or ~101kW per tile
Conduit 500kW -> 400kW.

-Fusion reactor 5000kW, or 312.5kW/tile
-Generator produces 500kW, or 125kW/tile

Solar panels produce 70 and 80% of a generator respectively, averaged over a day-night cycle. During the day the T1 produces the same, and the T2 produces 16% more.
Conduit is the most effective generator still, but requires external power and you must have a power field for it to work.
Last edited by Ranakastrasz on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:V13
Rebalanced Solar panel, Conduit, fusion reactor.
Solar panel T1 75kW -> 125kW, which averages to ~88W. Additionally it requires the old 5 solar panels again.
Solar Panel T2 1000kW -> 1300kW, which averages to ~910kW, or ~101kW per tile
Conduit 500kW -> 400kW.

-Fusion reactor 5000kW, or 312.5kW/tile
-Generator produces 500kW, or 125kW/tile

Solar panels produce 70 and 80% of a generator respectively, averaged over a day-night cycle. During the day the T1 produces the same, and the T2 produces 16% more.
Conduit is the most effective generator still, but requires external power and you must have a power field for it to work.
Sorry, this is a bit confusing, your #1 post that you edited talks about a v12 version of the mod, and offers a v12 for download, but here you talk about v13.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Oops. That would be a result of me using my crappy memory instead of just incrementing the version number in the first post.

Fixed.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

KNOWFEAR1337
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KNOWFEAR1337 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:A quick look at bob's warfare says that it isn't really possible for it to be compatible. not fully anyhow. Aside from the custom fusion reactor, and id collision between our batteries, I don't really know how to resolve that mess. Both mods overwrite some of the tech as well.
That said, I have something that might work for next version, at least partially.
is there an update of weather this works with bob's mods ? if it works with all of them id love to try it, maybe you could add something that looks for those mods and if they are there it could change anything that needed to be changed, or maybe add more items to take advantage of the things available in bobs mods ? just an idea but would be pretty sweet, power armor is always something id want to have sooner in the game,

Id even help if i could but i don't have much practice programming anything other than some stuff i've done at UNI

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

It might work already, mostly. The main problem that I cannot do anything about is collision issues. That is, his mod adds higher tier batteries and shields, meaning that I have no idea which mod's batteries would override the others, and his higher tier shields would all be 2x2. And so on.

It should work, but I haven't tested it properly yet.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I've made one personal change to this mod, by editing the data files, and was going to make one more.

The change I've made is to increase the stack size of Superconducting Coil from 50 to 200. It just seems right to me. Coil isn't something that takes up a lot of volume.

The change I was going to make was to try to do something about Alien Fuel. I thought that "paying" 1 Alien Artifact to get 1 Fuel Unit with a burn value of 100 MJ was a bit expensive. I'd have liked a burn value of 150 MJ or even 200 MJ. That'd have seemed more right to me. I was honestly unsure about how exactly to "hack" that as my understanding of the "language" of mods is bascially zero. I just look for stuff that makes sense and try to change it (e.g. stack size - I've also made a "hack" to the Landfill mod to redyuce stack size as well as increase crafting time for the Landfill thingies; apparently crafting time is tweaked by a variable called something to do with energy cost, which isn't very intuitive).

But then I discovered that you've already chanced it yourself, so that now each 1 Alien Artifact gives 3 Alien Fuel, each worth 100 MJ, thus a total of 300 MJ per Artifact.

I actually think that's too generous now. I think you ought to change the recipe as follows:

Cost
1 Alien Artifact
20 Solid Fuel (not 3)
takes 120 seconds to make (not 20)
Gives 2 Alien Fuel (not 3), thus 200 MJ per Artifact rather than 300.

That is what seems right to me, that is what is in accord with my "sense of rightness" as to how difficult and expensive Alien Fuel ought to be to produce. But of course it's your mod, your choice. I'm merely giving my input, and we're not in serious disagreement about things.

Also, you wrote somewhere that you were going to nerf Conduits a bit, reduce them from 500 kW to perhaps 400 kW, but the in-game text still says 500 kW everywhere where it says something. I think reducing them to 400 kW is a fine change, but if you've done so you ought to update the ingame text so that the player can know.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Peter34 wrote:I've made one personal change to this mod, by editing the data files, and was going to make one more.

The change I've made is to increase the stack size of Superconducting Coil from 50 to 200. It just seems right to me. Coil isn't something that takes up a lot of volume.
o_O. I need to do that, actually. Notably since some of my future mod plans also use coils, and a larger stack size would make sense.
The change I was going to make was to try to do something about Alien Fuel. I thought that "paying" 1 Alien Artifact to get 1 Fuel Unit with a burn value of 100 MJ was a bit expensive. I'd have liked a burn value of 150 MJ or even 200 MJ. That'd have seemed more right to me. I was honestly unsure about how exactly to "hack" that as my understanding of the "language" of mods is bascially zero. I just look for stuff that makes sense and try to change it (e.g. stack size - I've also made a "hack" to the Landfill mod to redyuce stack size as well as increase crafting time for the Landfill thingies; apparently crafting time is tweaked by a variable called something to do with energy cost, which isn't very intuitive).

But then I discovered that you've already chanced it yourself, so that now each 1 Alien Artifact gives 3 Alien Fuel, each worth 100 MJ, thus a total of 300 MJ per Artifact.
A while back, I had made most of these changes as suggestions, and later, when I got into modding factorio, I decided to make them myself. Notably, the fusion reactor was originally going to use alien artifacts directly, and use one per 2 minutes, or something like that.
I was concerned that it might not be wanted to have the artifacts just be consumed from the inventory, so I made a fuel as an intemediary.
The recipe then was originally 10 fuel and one artifact = 10 alien fuel, value of 100MJ. That gave you 3 minutes and twenty seconds per artifact, and cost around 15 artifacts per hour, per reactor. I've adjusted that around some. At 1:1 ratio, it uses up 3 artifacts per minute, which isn't sustainable, even in combat. I wanted the fusion reactor to be combat optimized, with lesser generators for general use. the current 3:1 ratio gives you a minute per artifact, which seems somewhat reasonable.
I actually think that's too generous now. I think you ought to change the recipe as follows:

Cost
1 Alien Artifact
20 Solid Fuel (not 3)
takes 120 seconds to make (not 20)
Gives 2 Alien Fuel (not 3), thus 200 MJ per Artifact rather than 300.

That is what seems right to me, that is what is in accord with my "sense of rightness" as to how difficult and expensive Alien Fuel ought to be to produce. But of course it's your mod, your choice. I'm merely giving my input, and we're not in serious disagreement about things.
Well, it took 60 seconds before, and I dropped it down to 20. Actually I did that on accident, and haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.
As for the amount of solid fuel, yes that might be reasonable. I wanted it to be possible to use it as normal fuel as well, but I will probably remove that.

Also, you wrote somewhere that you were going to nerf Conduits a bit, reduce them from 500 kW to perhaps 400 kW, but the in-game text still says 500 kW everywhere where it says something. I think reducing them to 400 kW is a fine change, but if you've done so you ought to update the ingame text so that the player can know.
I checked the current download and my local files, and so far as I can tell it works fine. Did you check in the latest version?
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

jpas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jpas »

I have gotten a bug report on my mod that is currently incompatible with yours on a new save.

I have looked into your code and saw that you overwrite the properties of a couple technology prototypes. This causes any changes made by mods loaded before yours to be overwritten. I have a couple suggestions to help fix these issues but as you do not have a license I am unsure of how to go about this.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

jpas wrote:I have gotten a bug report on my mod that is currently incompatible with yours on a new save.

I have looked into your code and saw that you overwrite the properties of a couple technology prototypes. This causes any changes made by mods loaded before yours to be overwritten. I have a couple suggestions to help fix these issues but as you do not have a license I am unsure of how to go about this.
Note that the mod conflict bug I'm experiencing is a very minor one. It'd still be nice to get it resolved, granted, but unless I've misunderstood something then the problem is quite minor.

Return to “Mods”