Cursor Icon

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DasSaffe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Cursor Icon

Post by DasSaffe »

Hey,

don't know how you feel about it, but this simple, white, default cursor is so lame :/ Would be cool to have some factorio-related mouse-cursor icons.
Something steampunk/cybertech related maybe

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Cursor Icon

Post by lancar »

It may be lame, but it also works really well.
If it is to be replaced, it'll have to be with an equally easy-to-see and useful one. The mouse cursor is your most critical tool in the game, so function over form is definitely the mantra here.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

I do agree that Factorio needs a custom cursor though.
Like, C'moooon man, all the cool kids are doing it!

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I agree with lancar.
It's really annoying when game have some fancy cursor that is blending with background and i have to move around to notice it.

Krayt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krayt »

lancar wrote: It may be lame, but it also works really well.
[...]
Agreed. A custom cursor would probably cause more potential problems, although the Standard Cursor first feels out of place when starting the game.
A change is simply not needed. This is a game about factories and no turn-based RPG with fancy art all over the GUI elements.

But I think an optional option to change the cursor is allright.

DerTolleIgel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DerTolleIgel »

I like the idea. And I trust the team to do an appropriate design. What do the developers say, I think this would improve the over-all experience.

ARC190
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ARC190 »

I do like the idea of a custom factorio cursor. should have the same shape as the current one, but maybe just slightly bigger and a yellow-y orange inside with a visible outline of a very dark orange, just like the factorio logo, to give it that "factorio" feel

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

A custom cursor would help "immersion", but as it is, I play in windowed mode and it seems to me as if I fairly often get the "working" blue circular cursor of the standad Win7 interface, while playing (perhaps more often in MP than in SP, but it does happen in SP too), and that is death to any sense of immersion.

So a custom cursor, fitting the "look & feel" visual style of Factorio, would only be worthwhile to implement if it is guaranteed to never be replaced with any of the other Windows cursors, such as the "waiting/working" one. And that might, or might not, mean you have to play in full screen mode, rather than windowed.

happymoep
Inserter
Inserter

Post by happymoep »

Peter34 wrote:[...]I play in windowed mode and it seems to me as if I fairly often get the "working" blue circular cursor of the standad Win7 interface[...]
It is not possible to avoid system cursors in >every< case (and not useful either). When the game crashes you will most likely get your system cursor back.
The waiting cursor (blue circle in your case) appears due to windows waiting for a response from factorio. I can see how you would like that cursor hidden but one should favor erasing the problem instead of hiding it.
Either your system specs are too low to play factorio without interruption or there is another problem. Maybe just some optimization along the way will fix this issue for you. You might want to get help with it if it annoys you though.

In summary:
The cursor being replaced by system cursors (even in window mode) is not a normal situation. It is well possible to implement a custom factorio cursor icon without enforcing fullscreen.

I want to remind everyone of a workaround:
When someone got a fitting cursor icon, why not post it somewhere and put a link here? We can still set it as a system cursor to get it ingame if we wish (and I WOULD try that out if someone presents a good looking cursor)

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

I would recommend a cursor like what is in KSP, a simple triangle with a notch at the rear end, perhaps a dark grey color.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

A cursor must of course look somehow like so:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

shitty paint is best paint

*Rust and wear not included

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

LordFedora wrote:shitty paint is best paint

*Rust and wear not included
That's looks nice, perhaps more of a triangle though :)
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

:) Ehmmm. Remembers me to Star Trek:
Background: Wheel, Foreground: Pointer.

Wheel can rotate or change form/color or anything to show the player what state the current thing is, he points to.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Custom Cursor icon

Post by PeteTheLich »

I created this custom cursor icon:

but it slightly covers up the items on the cursor

I dont think there's anything I can do about this (or nobody has answered on the mod sub forum)

I think having a custom cursor would add a nice touch of polish to the game rather than the bland windows default cursor

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Custom Cursor icon

Post by steinio »

I would support this to implement in vanilla.
Look great.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Custom Cursor icon

Post by PeteTheLich »

steinio wrote:I would support this to implement in vanilla.
Look great.
It doesn't look very good when in game because it covers items currently under the cursor but I'm sure they would be able to deal with that

TurkleTrenox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Factorio theme cursor

Post by TurkleTrenox »

TL;DR
Cursor / Pointer should be "factorio style" instead of the boring-not-good-looking-default-by-da'-system one

WHY?
because cool games use system mouse cursor :D , but GREAT games as Factorio use its own styled one 8-)

PS: so sorry for gramatycal horrors
fun fact i wannted to share: i bougth Factorio at 50 PEN (20 USD) time ago, yesterday i saw they lowed the price to 35PEN (~13 USD), FOREVER NOW XD i lost 15 PEN (~7 USD)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Factorio theme cursor

Post by Jap2.0 »

TurkleTrenox wrote: fun fact i wannted to share: i bougth Factorio at 50 PEN (20 USD) time ago, yesterday i saw they lowed the price to 35PEN (~13 USD), FOREVER NOW XD i lost 15 PEN (~7 USD)
Where'd you see that? The developers don't do sales (and I just checked, there aren't any now and the steam history doesn't show any in the last few days). What could happen is that Steam automatically adjusts the price depending on the exchange rates, average income, ect. between your currency and whatever the currency the developers set the price in (Euros or USD), so if 50 PEN used to be 20 USD, but Steam updated it so that due to fluctuating exchange rates or something, they now consider 35 PEN equal to 20 USD, the price may have lowered in comparison. Note that it is not strictly basesd off of the exchange rates, so it could have gone down in comparison - I believe they may also use the cost of living, average incomes, etc. as well.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio theme cursor

Post by JohnyDL »

Making a mouse/cursor themed actually makes it less useful and useable if it's the same colour scheme as the game you can easily lose it. I realize some games don't want their aesthetic ruined by a cursor but generally speaking I think it's bad for accessibility.

(Gah I'm being negative/critical about yet another idea I need to find some/more I can really get behind positively)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”