Factorio Mod Manager 0.2.1

Tools for search and installing new mods as well as starting Factorio.
For dedicated server handling see Multiplayer Tools
StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Factorio Mod Manager 0.2.0

Post by StanFear »

well, yeah, we are already in discussion with the creator of factoriomods.com,

there will probably be a version supporting it soon

Talguy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Talguy »

StanFear wrote:well, yeah, we are already in discussion with the creator of factoriomods.com,

there will probably be a version supporting it soon
That's awesome. I just found http://www.factoriomods.com/mods.json?page=1 but seems to me the names aren't included yet (or disabled intentionally so nobody can really use the API right now). The MVC Controller is right here: https://github.com/Zequez/FactorioMods/ ... troller.rb

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Having an issue if the mods aren't in a zip file.

I downloaded the 5DIM pack (contains all their mods in 1 zip) and because Factorio doesn't like mods packaged like that unzipped to the right location and the Mod Manager didn't copy them across.

narrowtux
Inserter
Inserter

Post by narrowtux »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:Having an issue if the mods aren't in a zip file.

I downloaded the 5DIM pack (contains all their mods in 1 zip) and because Factorio doesn't like mods packaged like that unzipped to the right location and the Mod Manager didn't copy them across.
Yup, it doesn't support anything unzipped right now. As a workaround, simply zip the directories until it is supported. Next version will have it.

Gandalf___
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gandalf___ »

I'm having an issue. I have java 8 u 60, and I'm on windows 7. However, whenever I try to run the .jar file, it shows a small, white box for a second and then closes

BlakkCooper
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BlakkCooper »

Gandalf___ wrote:I'm having an issue. I have java 8 u 60, and I'm on windows 7. However, whenever I try to run the .jar file, it shows a small, white box for a second and then closes
Very same thing here too except I got Java 8 Update 45.

narrowtux
Inserter
Inserter

Post by narrowtux »

Maybe try running with cmd:

Code: Select all

java -jar FactorioModManger-0.2.0.jar

BlakkCooper
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BlakkCooper »

narrowtux wrote:Maybe try running with cmd:

Nope

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

BlakkCooper wrote:

Nope

I'm running Java 8 u60 on Windows 10 without any issues from the Batch file.

My Batch file is "java -jar "E:\Program Files\Factorio\ModManager\FactorioModManager-0.2.0.jar""

narrowtux
Inserter
Inserter

Post by narrowtux »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:
BlakkCooper wrote:

Nope

I'm running Java 8 u60 on Windows 10 without any issues from the Batch file.

My Batch file is "java -jar "E:\Program Files\Factorio\ModManager\FactorioModManager-0.2.0.jar""
I think it's Windows 7 specific. I have a friend who beta tested it without problems, I think he has Windows 8.

I'll see why this happens this week. Might push a hotfix before I release 0.3 with all the new features.

mololabo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mololabo »

Yo, professional java dev here. You' done goofed, at least I think so, I might very well be wrong or it might be dependant on configuration. Deleted the config file just to be sure. I tried to start your manager over the console so I can take a look at the error message, should be easy to fix:

C:\Factorio_0.12.6>java -jar C:\Factorio_0.12.6\FactorioModManager-0.2.0.jar
Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: C:\Users\genericUsername_000\AppData\Roaming\f
actorio\fmm is not a directory.
        at com.narrowtux.fmm.dirwatch.SimpleDirectoryWatchService.register(SimpleDirectoryWatchService.java:135)
        at com.narrowtux.fmm.Datastore.lambda$new$13(Datastore.java:63)
        at com.sun.javafx.binding.ExpressionHelper$SingleChange.fireValueChangedEvent(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.javafx.binding.ExpressionHelper.fireValueChangedEvent(Unknown Source)
        at javafx.beans.property.ObjectPropertyBase.fireValueChangedEvent(Unknown Source)
        at javafx.beans.property.ObjectPropertyBase.markInvalid(Unknown Source)
        at javafx.beans.property.ObjectPropertyBase.set(Unknown Source)
        at com.narrowtux.fmm.Datastore.setDataDir(Datastore.java:88)
        at com.narrowtux.fmm.Main.start(Main.java:37)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$163(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$176(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$174(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$175(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
        at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$null$149(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Sep 11, 2015 5:59:55 PM com.narrowtux.fmm.dirwatch.SimpleDirectoryWatchService run
INFO: Starting file watcher service.
Exception in Application start method
Test if the directory exists before you use it, otherwise: create it. If you haven't already fixed it in your in-dev version.
Now I also understand why Java 8 is required. You're using the new Lambda functions :D
Other than that, nice program! Eager to see what comes next. :)

Other people encountering the weird error:
If you have never installed factorio using the installer, you will encounter this weird "white window instant close" bug.
How to fix it:
Take a look at your user directory and see to it that this path exists:
C:\Users\yourUsername_000\AppData\Roaming\factorio\fmm

narrowtux
Inserter
Inserter

Post by narrowtux »

I'm actually creating the directory.

This works on any OS except Windows 7. I'll have a look on what's wrong there.

EDIT: I see why it's happening now. I'm checking for directories but the service that listens for directory changes is launched before that happens. Simple fix.

EDIT EDIT: Also I'm using Java 8 because JavaFX2 is not as good as 8.
Last edited by narrowtux on Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

narrowtux
Inserter
Inserter

Factorio Mod Manager 0.2.1

Post by narrowtux »

mololabo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Factorio Mod Manager 0.2.1

Post by mololabo »

Sweet, glad that I seemingly was able to help out a bit. :)

FYI: I was using Win8 in my instance.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

narrowtux wrote:Small bugfix release

https://github.com/narrowtux/SmartModIn ... /tag/0.2.1

I can't run this. Crashes every time. Exception in Application start method.

Also, 0.2.0 was 229kb, 0.2.1 is reading as 41kb.
Did it not compile right?

Neko_Slave
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Neko_Slave »

I recently started playing Factorio with my boyfriend, both he and I can confirm that we, or rather my boyfriend, is getting the Java exception error when he attempts to use the downloaded Java file. I personally get nothing as it doesn't even launch for me. We have both made sure that we are running Java 8 as instructed and currently have to use the default method of moving files into the mods directory.

Hope this helps as well as the above post. :3

narrowtux
Inserter
Inserter

Post by narrowtux »

Sorry guys I accidentally dragged the file without libraries. My build system makes 2 files and I got the wrong one.

Please go back to the release page and download it again.

DaveKap
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaveKap »

I'm confused about something. None of the instructions for how to use FMM tell me how to get the "install using FMM" button on the Factorio Mods website. I have Java installed, I have FMM installed and running, but clicking "Install" on any mod on the website does nothing. What's up with that?

narrowtux
Inserter
Inserter

Post by narrowtux »

DaveKap wrote:I'm confused about something. None of the instructions for how to use FMM tell me how to get the "install using FMM" button on the Factorio Mods website. I have Java installed, I have FMM installed and running, but clicking "Install" on any mod on the website does nothing. What's up with that?
The developer of the website prematurely changed the title of the button. My indev-version supports this, when I release 0.3 you can use the button to install directly from the website.

DaveKap
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaveKap »

Okay I started trying to use this in earnest today and have spent the last half hour pulling my hair out over figuring this out.

Here's the issue. First of all, you don't state what the data directory SHOULD be for Factorio. If I installed Factorio to X:\Factorio then I assumed the data directory you were talking about is the X:\Factorio\data directory. However, in my Windows 7 install of Factorio 12.x, mods are not installed at the X:\Factorio\data\mods directory which SEEMS to be what your program is looking for. However, the mod directory for this installation of Factorio is actually a shortcut from X:\Factorio\mods which leads to C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\mods. If I try to tell your mod manager that my data directory is actually C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\ and set up the fmm directories and mod files appropriately, when I run the mod manager I can see the mods listed correctly but when I launch the game, the proper mods are not enabled or disabled. In fact, they aren't seen by the game at all.

I have been re-reading your documentation and I believe the biggest issue here is your mod manager isn't accounting for the data structure Factorio 12.x is using. Do you know about this? Is FMM only supposed to work for 11.x and below? I've tried numerous configurations to get it to work and none of them have been successful, including putting the mods and fmm into the actual X:\Factorio\data directory. Factorio, though, isn't very happy with that and still refuses to acknowledge any mods are installed unless they are actually inside the AppData directory as described above. Help!

Return to “Mod and installation managers”