Friday Facts #102 - Getting close

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #102 - Getting close

Post by slpwnd »

Among other things, read today how NOT to test your web applications: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-102

Yttrium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #102 - Getting close

Post by Yttrium »

"we have been accumulating graphical debt for quite some time"

when I played factorio for the first time all those outdated graphics were very confusing to me. Good thing you guys are planning on repaying that debt before the steam release.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

I love that you're doing an official mod portal!
Question is: Do you plan on making it (or parts of it) open source and if so, is it going to be not RoR?
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Don't worry about reaching the "finish line" we have many more ideas that will need to be implemented for Factorio 2. We'll figure out ideas for 3 later.

Well done on the switch. It looks good! As a side note, switches for high voltage lines require significant force/mechanical advantage to disconnect. Electricity doesn't like to be interrupted.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

This was a really good FF in my opinion. Hopefully accounts get restored, but in the end no worries, mistakes happen. :D

It's good to realize that it is best to enjoy the ride and get to the finish line whenever, rather than just rushing to it and missing all the parts in between. I think that is part of why Factorio is such a great game, because nothing was rushed.
The graphic for the power switch is quite nice it seems to fit into the Factorio graphical style pretty well. :)
Image Image Image

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

the power switch looks really cool the moving power plug is the best! give vaclav a cookie for awesome looking power switch!

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

YES, the power switch was an Item very much useful for a load of builds. I like the addition, and also understand what you said about notch, although it might not look like it most of the time we guys actually want you(and the other devs) to have fun!

indjev99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by indjev99 »

The power switch looks great + it will be very useful in the game.

kel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kel »

although i love the new power breaker i do belive that it looks kind off odd.
why make a big heavy (and overengineered) machine when you can use a disconnector (google it)

also i would love a way to stop trains as i still have train problems (there are a tiny chocke point that only fits 3 rail lines that is used by 14 trains)

best of luck

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Wikipedia wrote:Unlike load break switches and circuit breakers, disconnectors lack a mechanism for suppression of electric arc, which occurs when conductors carrying high currents are electrically interrupted. Thus, they are off-load devices, intended to be opened only after current has been interrupted by some other control device. Safety regulations of the utility must prevent any attempt to open the disconnector while it supplies a circuit.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

Y is the power switch 2x2? i think 1x2 would look beter?

Redominus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redominus »

I think the power switch would be way cooler with some lightning effect like this one: https://youtu.be/euW4NerLAPg

Mazth
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mazth »

Congratulations on your collaboration with Vaclav. I am quite familiar with his work in Openttd where he has impressed me a lot with a strong vision, sense for details and a lot of humor, so looking forward to what he'll bring to Factorio. Awesome to see that you guys took him on board and provided him with this opportunity!

AssaultRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AssaultRaven »

Redominus wrote:I think the power switch would be way cooler with some lightning effect like this one: https://youtu.be/euW4NerLAPg
Yeah, that's what would happen if a giant plug like that was opened under load. I guess we're assuming it has arcing contacts hidden inside.

TheKingOfFailure
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheKingOfFailure »

The power switch looks awesome, though it could use a cool arc.

I just have a couple of questions:

Will buildings disconnected with this switch still display the "Unplugged" yellow triangle? If so can you make them temporary or something? I fear that I may be confused when I see the warning and go off on a wild hunt for the problem, only to find that it's not actually a problem.

Will these switches work with the circuit network? Or will there be an upgraded specialized version?

Can i flip this switch with a condition? Say I have low power in my accumulators, could i connect my back-up steam engines using a condition and a switch?

Thanks and keep up the awesome work :D :D :D !

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

AssaultRaven wrote:Yeah, that's what would happen if a giant plug like that was opened under load. I guess we're assuming it has arcing contacts hidden inside.
I've filed it away under the same technology as 100% efficient steam engines. :lol:

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Is there not a HD mod for Factorio? Why not hire that chap or look into it anyways. If it's someone who has really done a good job with it then he might be worth it.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

Always look forward to another slice of Factory Facts on Fridays. This was another particularly tasty one!

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

slpwnd wrote:Among other things, read today how NOT to test your web applications: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-102
Random people on twitter wrote:A QA tester walks into a bar. Orders a beer. Orders 0 beers. Orders 999999999 beers. Orders a lizard. Orders -1 beers. Orders a sfdeljknesv. Orders a '; DROP TABLE users;
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

Talguy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Talguy »

Mazth wrote:Congratulations on your collaboration with Vaclav. I am quite familiar with his work in Openttd where he has impressed me a lot with a strong vision, sense for details and a lot of humor, so looking forward to what he'll bring to Factorio. Awesome to see that you guys took him on board and provided him with this opportunity!
In case his OTTD name is V453000, then I can vouch for him and am very happy :) We're bound to see some great work from him in the future then. I've played OTTD on their coöperative servers.
In terms of art AND in terms of gameplay I think he can be a great asset to your team, I mean, he invented or coöperatively invented gameplay mechanics like orderless SRNW (linked is a game from about five years ago that I remember, seeing him and others build awesome, jawdropping structures and patterns).

Besides his knowledge he is inquisitive because he always wants to solve issues in the best way possible :)

Return to “News”