Graphics Request Thread

The place to share your custom game graphics.
Socram
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Graphics Request Thread

Post by Socram »

Hello fellow supporters of Factorio! I'm currently studying visual graphics (for game's and otherwise) at university and feel I may be able to help with the current lack of graphics and help with the lag time between features developed in code and their corresponding art. For example, the fact that walls are implemented, but lack art so have yet to be put in.

This is an open request to the developers, especially the devs, as well as modders and every day fans, to request art/graphics for anything, whether it has yet to be implemented (such as the wall) or already exists in game and just needs improvement. I hope to get a list going and work my way through as many as I can for anyone who needs, then its can be up to the devs to put them in the official game if they desire and approve. I can do both 3D and 2D art so whichever is more fitting for the request I will try to do. Any information you can provide for art direction would be lovely, the more the better. Dimensions needed, Materials used, external reference images, written descriptions, etc will all help. An example request is below:

Requesting: Walls: 32x32 px, needs vertical and horizontal directions as well as corner pieces.

-Stone Wall
Made of primarily stone, brick like pattern

-Iron Wall
Made of primarily Iron plates, visible rivets

etc, etc.

P.s. Devs, I'm the same Socram from facepunch and the emails, in case that wasn't obvious :D

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Graphics Request Thread

Post by zlosynus »

Hi Socram!

First of all thanks for all the help at the facepunch forums, it is a really great thread there. I cannot speak for the developers but I can add my opinion. Your help with the graphics would be very welcomed. One of the problems with the current graphics is that the artists are just externists and do not know/play the game at all. What would be very needed is some Factorio player who could make graphics which would be good and understandable for the players (and I think understandable is much more important than pretty). In the current graphics, everything is dark, gray and from the distance it looks pretty much the same (steam engines, assembling machines, laboratories). The only think I like quite a lot are transportation belts. So for example you could go and test to make inserter graphics in some nice and understandable way (ya, this is hard as hell), and I think if the developers like it, they could even hire you for the project.

Socram
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Socram »

Appreciate the suggestions! I'm in contact with the devs directly so hopefully we'll figure something out. I'll likely be posting my attempts here so I appreciate further feedback and any sort of ideas anyone might have.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I just want to be very careful, so I want to state from the start:
  • We can't offer any money at this stage.
  • Although the graphics is in work-in-progress state, we rarely accept the first version, I don't feel bad when I do that to someone I pay to, but I can't accept bad work for free as well.
  • The plan is to not only add new stuff, but also go back, and continuously polish, polish and polish, this means, that your work, great and helpful at this stage might be replaced later.
I'm sure slpwnd will have something to say about this too.

Now the better part :)
There are tons of stuff that we would like to have in the game, and it is quite certain, that the graphics is the limit at the moment, not the programming.
So If you like to help, I would be glad. If you want some feature in the game (that we want as well ^^), providing graphics for it (even if it is temporary) might help us to deliver that sooner.
Socram wrote: Requesting: Walls: 32x32 px, needs vertical and horizontal directions as well as corner pieces.

-Stone Wall
Made of primarily stone, brick like pattern

-Iron Wall
Made of primarily Iron plates, visible rivets
These walls would be really nice :)

Socram
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Socram »

I completely understand, to be clear for the time being this is completely pro bono, doing it purely for practice and my portfolio, and to help out with the game as much as I can.

That is if you even like my work.

To clarify, are those the correct dimensions as well?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Socram wrote:I completely understand, to be clear for the time being this is completely pro bono, doing it purely for practice and my portfolio, and to help out with the game as much as I can.

That is if you even like my work.
Great, we will certainly setup some list of contributors to factorio (with some comment of what they did) later, so anyone that helps can use the reference.
Socram wrote: To clarify, are those the correct dimensions as well?
The dimension of the tile is 32X32, but the image can be actually larger (it can overlap the tile a bit when needed, this is common for the top part of the image).
I'm not sure if the wall should fit into 2x2 grid or 1x1, I'm afraid it would be too tiny for 1x1, what do you think?

Streammz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Streammz »

kovarex wrote: I'm not sure if the wall should fit into 2x2 grid or 1x1, I'm afraid it would be too tiny for 1x1, what do you think?
I'd say 2x2 walls, or even 2x1 if you'd be able to figure out how that would work with corner pieces

( Tchey )
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ( Tchey ) »

I'd say 1x1 or 2x but not 2x1 as it may add some unwanted troubles and difficulties to build the walls.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

( Tchey ) wrote:I'd say 1x1 or 2x but not 2x1 as it may add some unwanted troubles and difficulties to build the walls.
Definitely.

Nemoder
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemoder »

The graphic I'd like to see improved the most is the resources/terrain/hills* set. To me the hills are very jarring, hard to tell apart from mineral resources, and the gray clashes with the gray of most of the factory machines.

Maxion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maxion »

Nemoder wrote:The graphic I'd like to see improved the most is the resources/terrain/hills* set. To me the hills are very jarring, hard to tell apart from mineral resources, and the gray clashes with the gray of most of the factory machines.
And here I had been thinking the hills might be wasteland terrain, since it seems to spread as an area gets more heavily industrialized. Might just be my imagination though.
I'm going to live forever, or die trying.
And failure is not an option!

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Nemoder wrote:The graphic I'd like to see improved the most is the resources/terrain/hills* set. To me the hills are very jarring, hard to tell apart from mineral resources, and the gray clashes with the gray of most of the factory machines.
This is high on our graphics priority list.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Ill try to do it later, but one square how many pixels are?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

One square is 32x32 pixels.

bosky2102
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bosky2102 »

I would love to see the lamppost texture improved it looks so bland right now compared to some of the other ones

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Hmm.. I realized that streetlamps are usually of the same size as wiring posts.

I wouldn't mind if I saw the lamp before hitting it with my head :P (I assume that was not the purpose. They are rather hard to spot)

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

MF- wrote:Hmm.. I realized that streetlamps are usually of the same size as wiring posts.

I wouldn't mind if I saw the lamp before hitting it with my head :P (I assume that was not the purpose. They are rather hard to spot)
i actually like the lamps being so small, i dislike how they look and prefer to hide them.

i'd be just as happy if the lamp was one of those tiny ones that stick out of the ground by 30cm or so

Return to “Texture Packs”