[MOD 0.12.11+] EvoGUI (Evolution Factor Indicator) v0.4.16

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Evolution Factor Indicator

Post by Narc »

orzelek wrote:Player index might not work well for you.
If I understand correctly it's game dependent - so different person connecting to same multiplayer game could get settings of someone else that was in same slot earlier.

It's a bit of a guess - I'm not sure if that's exactly how player index works.
As far as I've noticed, unless one explicitly clears the offline players (with game.remove_offline_players()), the player indices are consistent and saved with the map. Certainly, multiplayer games that I've saved and run locally have always maintained the exact same set of players in the exact same slots both during local play and when running the games as multi-player again.

That said, I haven't tested with more than three players on a world -- it might potentially break down at some large number of players. I wouldn't expect it to, though.

In the case where remove_offline_players() was called and someone takes a previously-existing player's settings, that should still be fine, but it may be a good idea to provide a remote call to allow admins of servers running EvoGUI to clear out player settings altogether so they can be rebuilt.

DaCyclops
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaCyclops »

Narc wrote:
DaCyclops wrote:Is it possible to add an option for showing Pollution Effects (what biters start spawning and when) are active? or maybe a flashing(color changing) "alert" when you reach the point that certain effects kick in?
I think yes, if I understand your request correctly: you'd like to see something like "Evolution factor: 34% (Small biter, Small spitter, Medium biter)"? That could get a little long, so I'll probably make that a separate line in the GUI (likely a separate sensor so it can be turned off).

For the second part (alert when threshold passed), I have a more generic version of it planned that could maybe be applied to any sensor. I still need to think about it, and it's not a huge priority yet, but it's definitely something I'd like to have.
Pretty much, just a secondary "sensor" that just lists the current effects would be fine, so we can toggle it on/off, or have it only visible in Expanded mode.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

A new release! That's right, EvoGUI v0.4.0 (direct download) is here, and brings with it... not all that much.

All the changes happened around the player locations sensor, which looks like this now:

By default, it now only shows you the names of the players and direction to reach them, but you'll notice on the settings GUI a new button:

Which opens this:

Which lets you make the player location sensor look like this (if you want to):

Esrevinue
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Esrevinue »

Wow, this is a brilliant mod! I love the fact that it's open source!

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Esrevinue wrote:Wow, this is a brilliant mod! I love the fact that it's open source!
Thank you! All my (published) things are open source, under the theory that the work isn't that special, but someone might derive knowledge from reading how it works.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

Would be much better if direction was more precise:
-N, NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SSE, S, SSW, SW, WSW, W, WNW, NW NNW or
-000....359 degrees

Esrevinue
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Esrevinue »

Narc wrote:
Esrevinue wrote:Wow, this is a brilliant mod! I love the fact that it's open source!
Thank you! All my (published) things are open source, under the theory that the work isn't that special, but someone might derive knowledge from reading how it works.
Yeah, I would love to see if I can take in some info from it as I do coding as a hobby, but nothing serious or anyway complete like your mod. :)

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

irbork wrote:Would be much better if direction was more precise:
-N, NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SSE, S, SSW, SW, WSW, W, WNW, NW NNW or
-000....359 degrees
That would be pretty neat, yes. I'll put it on the wishlist.

Esrevinue wrote:[...]Yeah, I would love to see if I can take in some info from it as I do coding as a hobby, but nothing serious or anyway complete like your mod. :)
EvoGUI isn't complete -- and it won't be until I abandon it. Even then, someone might decide to take it up and continue it. That's one of the open secrets of software development: a project is never finished, it's only either being worked on or not.

Vin wrote:[...]When I tried to show player locations, it spammed a message that it was trying to use a nil value. After a few moments I realized it was due to not having a multiplayer name defined.
Turns out that was relatively easy to catch and fairly safe to just stub out into an error:

You can't join a multiplayer game with an empty name (and changing it mid-game causes a desync loop), so while this may "break" a single-player save, well... I suppose if you really needed to, you could fix it with something like `/c game.local_player.name="me"`.

EvoGUI v0.4.1 (direct download) fixes the issue. OP will be updated in a few moments.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

When starting a new game with this mod (and no other mods enabled - I'm trying to hunt down 2 strange bugs), I get a continued error message:

Unknown key: "err_generic"

I've never had this before. EvoGUI has always worked fine for me. Is this mod dependent on any other mods? It'd be my assumption that it isn't, but I'm just throwing the question out...

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Peter34 wrote:When starting a new game with this mod (and no other mods enabled - I'm trying to hunt down 2 strange bugs), I get a continued error message:

Unknown key: "err_generic"

I've never had this before. EvoGUI has always worked fine for me. Is this mod dependent on any other mods? It'd be my assumption that it isn't, but I'm just throwing the question out...
That you're getting 'unknown key' on that is very strange -- locale/en/locale.cfg has it as 'err_generic=[EvoGUI|__1__] Error: __2__'. Also, trying to start a new game with nothing but EvoGUI (in Factorio 0.12.6, if that matters) works just fine, including even starting a supply challenge scenario and a new instance of the campaign.

Something very strange is happening on your machine.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Narc wrote:Something very strange is happening on your machine.
Yes. Factorio has begun to behave stranger and stranger. I no longer think the problem lies with your mod at all.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Peter34 wrote:
Narc wrote:Something very strange is happening on your machine.
Yes. Factorio has begun to behave stranger and stranger. I no longer think the problem lies with your mod at all.
I found the cause of the strange behaviour. It had nothing to do with the EvoGUI mod, but was caused by another one (which was quickly fixed). Sorry about that.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Peter34 wrote:I found the cause of the strange behaviour. It had nothing to do with the EvoGUI mod, but was caused by another one (which was quickly fixed). Sorry about that.
No worries, I'm glad you got it all sorted. Thanks for letting me know.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

I love this mod a lot.
There are some things I have to adjust every update:
- minute precision on time display,
- evolution factor indication with 0,0001 precision.
It would be awesome if those options were added to in game config (now when there is one) or a single config file.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

irbork wrote:I love this mod a lot.
There are some things I have to adjust every update:
- minute precision on time display,
- evolution factor indication with 0,0001 precision.
It would be awesome if those options were added to in game config (now when there is one) or a single config file.
To in-game config, for sure -- I dislike the config.lua convention. You'll probably also want to be able to adjust the frequency of GUI updates -- at once per 60 ticks, the time of day changes by several minutes at a time (which is why I built it with 15-minute rounding in the first place).

I'll add it to the wishlist.

Edit: Or wait, did you mean chopping the seconds off the play time indicator? That's also a time display.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

Narc wrote:To in-game config, for sure -- I dislike the config.lua convention. You'll probably also want to be able to adjust the frequency of GUI updates -- at once per 60 ticks, the time of day changes by several minutes at a time (which is why I built it with 15-minute rounding in the first place).

I'll add it to the wishlist.

Edit: Or wait, did you mean chopping the seconds off the play time indicator? That's also a time display.
I didn't mean play time. I haven't notice the minute skipping, probably because I play with extended day mod which causes for time to pas 3x slower. GUI updates sound nice as well :D

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I'd like to see the suggested "alien types" item added to this mod, showing what types of aliens can appear based on the Evolution Factor.

I compiled this list, using data from an article in the Factorio Wiki, something like a week or 10 days ago:
0.0 Only Small Biters can appear
0.3 Small Spitters appear
0.35 Medium Biters appear
0.55 Medium Spitters appear
0.65 Big Biters appear
0.65 Big Spitters also appear
1.0 Behemoth Biters & Spitters appear

That can perhaps be used as the basis for that element of the mod, although my preference would be for something very short and compact.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

irbork wrote:I didn't mean play time. I haven't notice the minute skipping, probably because I play with extended day mod which causes for time to pas 3x slower. GUI updates sound nice as well :D
Gotcha. Yes, the DayNightExtender would slow down time enough that it would be rare for more than a game minute to pass in a second. I have that part working now in the 0.4.2 experimental (the ability to turn off minute rounding), and it shouldn't take much work to add the ability to change the GUI update rate.

Peter34 wrote:I'd like to see the suggested "alien types" item added to this mod, showing what types of aliens can appear based on the Evolution Factor.
Me, too! It sounds like it'd be fun to do.
Peter34 wrote:I compiled this list, using data from an article in the Factorio Wiki, something like a week or 10 days ago: [...list ellided...]

That can perhaps be used as the basis for that element of the mod, although my preference would be for something very short and compact.
My intent is to read the game's data structures to produce the list, which would also mean maximum compatibility with mods as long as they use the normal biter spawning mechanics, but if that doesn't work out, a hard-coded list is better than nothing. Be aware that somewhere down the line (at about 0.7-ish, if memory serves), small biters stop being able to spawn.

For reference, in case you were curious, the places to check for this are the type="unit-spawner" entries in data/base/prototypes/entity/enemies.lua and demo-enemies.lua -- each of those has an entry named "result_units" that defines what can spawn with what probability.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

Narc wrote:
Peter34 wrote:I'd like to see the suggested "alien types" item added to this mod, showing what types of aliens can appear based on the Evolution Factor.
Me, too! It sounds like it'd be fun to do.
Peter34 wrote:I compiled this list, using data from an article in the Factorio Wiki, something like a week or 10 days ago: [...list ellided...]

great work Peter34 !

Narc - This sounds like a great Idea, when I first saw that evolution factor, I thought to myself "that's nice but what does it mean ?, guess I'll know when I hit 100%..." with peter34's list or you intended upgrade to that idea players will have the right info right or screen ! I support adding this and suggest you have the factor stay and add a popup list by button to show factors and effects with the current factor/effect level highlighted (different color)

exanple (using peter34's list):

0.0 Only Small Biters can appear
0.3 Small Spitters appear
0.35 Medium Biters appear
0.55 Medium Spitters appear
0.65 Big Biters appear
0.65 Big Spitters also appear
1.0 Behemoth Biters & Spitters appear

( The real challange for me will be to translate all that to Hebrew :D)
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Is this mod meant to be multipayer compatible?

Return to “Mods”