Topics and discussion about specific mods
Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 0.16.x] Large Chests

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Large Chests

Description:
  • This is mostly a stand-alone version of Dytech's Large Chests.
    It adds 2x2 and 3x3 chests of each type, and makes chests use weaker material chests in their construction.
Details:
  • Factorio Version: 0.16
  • Released: July 28th 2015
  • License: MIT License
  • Tags: Chest
Download
--
Large-Chests_16.1.1.zip
(3.54 MiB) Downloaded 224 times
--[/b][/color]

LONG DESCRIPTION
TODO
CREDITS
CHANGLOG
Attachments
Large-Chests_16.1.0.zip
(3.54 MiB) Downloaded 211 times
Large-Chests_15.2.1.zip
(3.47 MiB) Downloaded 192 times
Large-Chests_15.2.0.zip
(3.41 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
Large-Chests_15.1.0.zip
(435.72 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Large-Chests_14.0.15.zip
(492.12 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Large-Chests_14.0.14.zip
(491.33 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Large-Chests_14.0.13.zip
(491.36 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Large-Chests_14.0.12.zip
(490.84 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Last edited by Ranakastrasz on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 29 times in total.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Large Boxes

Post by MrDoomah »

Error on startup: File __Chest__/graphics/technology/Chest.png not found.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

That's just wierd. I've been running with this mod for a while, and that error doesn't come up. I see why it occurred, and fixed it, hopefully, but have no idea why you got it when I didn't.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Linux vs Windows perhaps? In Linux, filenames are case-sensitive, in Windows they aren't.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

That would do it.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Ranakastrasz wrote:That's just wierd. I've been running with this mod for a while, and that error doesn't come up. I see why it occurred, and fixed it, hopefully, but have no idea why you got it when I didn't.
The issue is simple.

You test your mod when it is uncompressed.

You then zip it up and upload that for everyone, and assume it should work just fine!

But capitalization errors only happen when you load with the zipped version!

Let this be a lesson for us all :)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Can these be Smart Chests?

If not, then could you add that to your mod? I think being able to have "large footprint"-Smart Chests will come in real handy in certain aspects of the game, especially gathering the materials needed to build the Rocket and related machines.

I'm running a test game right now, and I gather the mats into a series of Requester Chests, then wire them up, and use the Nixie Tubes mod to display the total amount of mats in each set of Chests. Helps me see how close I am to the next goal. But even without the Tubes mod, I could still use Combinators to control a row of Lamps, for instance 5 Lamps each turning on after another 20% of Chest content completion.

But Requester Chests often get filled unevenly, for instance if I have 3 Chests for the Low Density thingies, then one Chest might get 250, the second 200 and the third 75. So if I add one Inserter to each Chest to move the thingies into the machine, the third chests empties fast. Yet if I output the thingies onto a Belt and then use Inserters from there, then I temporarily loose the ability to keep track of how many thingies I "have" for making that machine.

That's why Large Smart Chests would be super nice to have, as I can then feed from the Requester Chests into the Large Smart Chest, and still see how many thingies I have (via Nixie Tubes, or via percentage-Lamps if not using the Nixie mod).

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

All chests, basic, smart, and logistic are part of this mod.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:All chests, basic, smart, and logistic are part of this mod.
Sonic boom as Peter moved fast enough to break the sound barrior to immediately downloads the mod!

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

By the way, can you add 4x4 and 5x5 Chests too? I don't really care about storage capacity, them being able to store more than 3x3 Large Chests, but it's nice to have a larger "surface" area so that 16 or 20 Inserters can interact with the Chest (4 or 5 on each of the four sides) instead of being limited to 12 total.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

To be honest, I think the number of slots in the larger Chests is far too large.

For me, larger Chests isn't about being able to store more stuff. Rather it's about having a storage container with more "surface" area so that a greater number of Inserters can interact with it simultaneously.

The number of slots seems to go up super fast with increasing Chest size.

I think it'd be preferable if the #slot scaling is much less agressive, perhaps so that a 2x2 Chest has 1.5 times as many slots as a 1x1 Chest, a 3x3 Chest has 2 times as many slots as a 1x1 Chest, and 2.5 and 3 times as many slots, respectively, for 4x4 and 5x5 Chests.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

The current scaling is that one of your 2x2 footprint Chests has 2.5 times as many slots as a 1x1 Chest, while a 3x3 Chest has 5 times as many slots as a 1x1 Chest.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I agree that it is a bit ridiculously large, but I just copied the chests from Dytech. The amount of space per tile is lower for the larger chests anyhow. If you had 4 1x1 chests in place of a 2x2 chest, you would still have more space. Same with 3x3.

As is, an even larger chest would be even more crazy.

That said, the purpose of larger chests is at least in part the extra surface area. Adding even larger ones is something to consider.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I can't attach Red/Green Wires to them. I thought maybe it was the AutoWire mod that conflicted with it (although that didn't seem likely to me), but even with AutoWire disabled, I still can't attach R/G Wires to the 2x2 and 3x3 footprint Smart Chests or Logistics Chests.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Peter34 wrote:I can't attach Red/Green Wires to them. I thought maybe it was the AutoWire mod that conflicted with it (although that didn't seem likely to me), but even with AutoWire disabled, I still can't attach R/G Wires to the 2x2 and 3x3 footprint Smart Chests or Logistics Chests.
I imagine that has something to do with the recent update that altered circuit mechanics.
Will look into it.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Peter34 wrote:I can't attach Red/Green Wires to them. I thought maybe it was the AutoWire mod that conflicted with it (although that didn't seem likely to me), but even with AutoWire disabled, I still can't attach R/G Wires to the 2x2 and 3x3 footprint Smart Chests or Logistics Chests.
I imagine that has something to do with the recent update that altered circuit mechanics.
Will look into it.
I discovered the problem before updating to 12.6, while still playing 12.5.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Can someone please confirm that this is an actual bug with the mod, and not just something that occurs specifically to me because of conflict with another mod? I have tried disabling the mod most likely to have caused such a problem, but that didn't help.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Oh, you did stealth fix it! Super nice!

At this point in time, I'm using so many small and medium sized mods (I avoid large mods like DyTech and Bob's) that there's a danger I overlook it when my mods get updated. For instance, I didn't notice that you had updated your Modular Armor ReVamp from 1.08 to 1.09 and then 1.10 until very recently.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Stealth fix, meaning that I altered the main post rather than adding a post with the patch log? I just now realized that was normal practice, and why it occured. Will have to follow that protocol from now on.

---

Modular armor's v10 is a bit unstable. It mostly works, but not with games with the older version previously installed. It causes a non-script crash, and I have no idea how to fix it yet.
Thats what I get for trying to add compatability with other mods, as well as a seperate config...
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Modular armor's v10 is a bit unstable. It mostly works, but not with games with the older version previously installed. It causes a non-script crash, and I have no idea how to fix it yet.
Thats what I get for trying to add compatability with other mods, as well as a seperate config...
I was able to fix things when I upgraded your Armor mod from 0.08 to 0.10. I had to fiddle around a bit, remove and re-insert modules, and I don't recall the details, but I did get my MkII Power Armor to work again, without losing any of the expensive stuff I had built.

Return to “Mods”