loading gun turrets

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Frodoctorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

loading gun turrets

Post by Frodoctorio »

So, I'm very happy with the improved turrets. Previously, I would only use the laser turrets. Now I actually enjoy using the gun turrets. There is however an annoyance. When I want to take out early game alien bases, I am being extremely clumsy in loading the turret quickly. Often I find myself running away from biters, placing a gun turret behind me, forgetting that it OF COURSE needs ammo... I can't figure out an easy way of loading the panic-placed turret. Running around, selecting and ctrl clicking, rmb, or hitting q too many times results too often in ending up with the wrong weapon in my hand, severely injured or dead, with a full pack of ammo, somewhere not intuitively defaulted, in my inventory...
I know about assigning quick slots but all in all, I find it too much hassle getting that gun fire ready when sneaking up to an alien base. Could the turret please start out with at least one ammo when you place it?

Suggestions & strategies are welcome

Thanks!

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: loading gun turrets

Post by Klonan »

Hey there is a mod called AutoFill which automaticall takes ammo, fuel and whatever from your inventory and places it in the entity you place down. It may be just what you are looking for to help you deal with the gun turret creep

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This loading of turrets, etc. is boring at some point. Well, I really like to make my first wall with gun turrets and a belt, that is filled half with coal and half with magazines and burner put them into the turrets. This is really cool. But this strategy is not so useful for what you seem to use it. I never did that, placing a gun turret... when I see biters in that stage I run to my turret I placed of course next to me.

But at some point it gets boring. The same with loading of car and train. The mod Klonan mentioned is a good idea, indeed something should be fixed in the vanilla to reduce this amount of repeating.

Also two points:
- If the gun-turret would be filled by default it could be used for cheating, just remove and set turrets continuously and you have endless ammunition. With enough gun turrets and the personal roboport no problem. I think in a pvp this can get really unfair.
- It's a good question with what ammunition the gun turret should be filled then. Think of mods, that have lots of different types.... This is a bit different than the burner inserters.

So, I currently think it is a good direction to go for the autofill mod, but I'm not a fan of implementing it 1:1. It seems to be a little bit too easy and I don't have much control of what is placed inside. But have currently also no better idea yet.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

ssilk wrote:Also two points:
- If the gun-turret would be filled by default it could be used for cheating, just remove and set turrets continuously and you have endless ammunition. With enough gun turrets and the personal roboport no problem. I think in a pvp this can get really unfair.
Obviously, you would have to have the ammo in your inventory for it to be auto-added, so no endless ammo.
- It's a good question with what ammunition the gun turret should be filled then. Think of mods, that have lots of different types.... This is a bit different than the burner inserters.
This is a trickier question. The game could probably on-the-fly compile an ordered (by damage) list of all the suitable ammo and fill the turret with the highest damage ammo you're carrying in your inventory.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I edited the above post a bit after and took too long, so it was after your answer. Sorry.
Boogieman14 wrote:The game could probably on-the-fly compile an ordered (by damage) list of all the suitable ammo and fill the turret with the highest damage ammo you're carrying in your inventory.
The autofill mod makes it so: "Gun turrets are loaded with ammos (First in array first in use). Ammo is divided to all turrets in quickbar and hand."
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Frodoctorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Frodoctorio »

Thanks for the mod suggestion. I will try it :)

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

ssilk wrote:I don't have much control of what is placed inside.
Autofill has console commands that you can tell it exactly what and how many to place inside of each entity type. See the original post at https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =92&t=1612 and specifically the section under "Example of making own autofill set."

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”