[0.12.4] "Viewing" Blueprints Cause MP to Freeze

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
tjmonk15
Inserter
Inserter

[0.12.4] "Viewing" Blueprints Cause MP to Freeze

Post by tjmonk15 »

Hey all,

First off, long night of gaming with drinking involved. So pardon to spelling errors, and the lack of in depth testing.

That being said, my fiance and I were playing on a MP map (3rd or so night or playing on the map) with a few minor mods (Treefarm is the largest.) Not 100% sure this is a vanilla issue, but pretty darn close, so posting it here.

I, at first, tried to create a VERY large blueprint (about 5k entities) and the entire game froze for both of us. After waiting a while, and trying to account for any input lag (moving mouse, waiting, mouse down, waiting, mouse up, waiting;) We force closed the game and started from the last autosave. A few minutes later I tried creating another blueprint (about 1k entities or less) and the same thing happened. Had only my fiance force close her game and i was able to finish creating the blueprint and place it before she rejoined. All good at this point.

After the above, I realized I could "freeze" or "pause" the game by simply hovering over the blueprint in my inventory (causing the "preview" to show up.) We have a list of mods, list is attached as a pic, but I really don't think they are related.

Can anyone verify in vanilla? I will test more fully after I sleep, just wanted to post before I forgot.

- Monk

P.S. ScienceCostTweaker is a folder cause we modified one setting, as a temp fix for mod issues.
Attachments
Mod List
Mod List
mods.png (28.38 KiB) Viewed 12239 times

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.12.4] "Viewing" Blueprints Cause MP to Freeze

Post by Oxyd »

Post the save and your mod folder.

tjmonk15
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tjmonk15 »

Mods folder and Save attached.

I assume inventories are saved by user, so my username in game is tjmonk15. there will be a blueprint on the hotbar, just hover over it and the simulation well effectively freeze.

- Monk
Attachments
MP-Shell.zip
Save
(7.31 MiB) Downloaded 139 times
mods.zip
Mods Folder
(16.14 MiB) Downloaded 138 times

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

The trainstation blueprint? I don't get any freezing when looking at it, or selecting it, or placing it. I also tried selecting a large chunk of your base for blueprint and that wouldn't freeze it either.

What hardware do you and your fiancée have?

tjmonk15
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tjmonk15 »

I thought I mentioned it in the original post, guess I didn't. But its works fine in a MP game as long as I am the only one in the game. As soon as my fiance joins, when looking at the blueprint she is unable to move or do anything.

My PC:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (4-core @ 3.4GHz)
16GB DDR3 (DDR3-1600? i think)
Radeon R7 370 4GB
Gigabit Lan (Gigabit router as well)

Fiance's PC:
AMD E1-2500 APU (2-core @ 1.4GHz)
4GB RAM
This is an all-in-one and a little on the lower end tbh.

- Monk

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

tjmonk15 wrote:I thought I mentioned it in the original post, guess I didn't. But its works fine in a MP game as long as I am the only one in the game. As soon as my fiance joins, when looking at the blueprint she is unable to move or do anything.

My PC:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (4-core @ 3.4GHz)
16GB DDR3 (DDR3-1600? i think)
Radeon R7 370 4GB
Gigabit Lan (Gigabit router as well)

Fiance's PC:
AMD E1-2500 APU (2-core @ 1.4GHz)
4GB RAM
This is an all-in-one and a little on the lower end tbh.

- Monk
If you load up the game as you on her computer are you able to view the blueprint there? It looks like it might just be a PC limit (not powerful enough) depending on the graphic card in that computer.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

tjmonk15
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tjmonk15 »

Rseding91 wrote:
tjmonk15 wrote:...
If you load up the game as you on her computer are you able to view the blueprint there? It looks like it might just be a PC limit (not powerful enough) depending on the graphic card in that computer.
Not sure how to load the game as me on her PC from a zip install? But even if that were the case, blueprint rendering clearing needs to be 100% client-side/hidden behind latency-hiding.

- Monk

tjmonk15
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tjmonk15 »

Oh, here is a completely vanilla save on 0.12.4. Do the following:

1) One person load the save to "create" a MP game. (With username = "tjmonk15")
2) Hover over blueprint in hotbar to see preview. Game works fine.
3) 2nd person joins game AND starts running in a direction.
4) Player 1 hovers over blueprint = Player 2 freezes
5) Player 1 moves mouse off of blueprint = Player 2 can move again
6) Repeat.
7) Fix bug.

- Monk

Edit: If the above fails to freeze the 2nd player, create a 2nd blueprint with double the entities, rinse repeat; til issue shows on your PC.
Attachments
DevTest.zip
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 142 times

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

I made a blueprint so large that the game slows all the way down to 5 FPS, but the other peer in the game could still move. So not really sure what's going on here.

tjmonk15
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tjmonk15 »

Weird. I will do more testing on my end and see what I can figure out. (I have a feeling it has to do with her PC being on the lower end, ie. the blueprint is too big for her pc, but not too big for mine.)

- Monk

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

That is certainly possible. Lock-step architecture means the entire MP game is limited by the speed of the slowest computer. Still, the slow part here appears to be rendering of the preview, which only your client should be doing.

Return to “Pending”