[0.7.1] Burner mining drill is a coal hog

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.7.1] Burner mining drill is a coal hog

Post by Holy-Fire »

This seems to be very old, not sure if bug or feature.

Most buildings have a limit on how many resources an inserter will put into them before it stops and gives a chance to buildings further down the line to get some of the action.

Apparently, burner mining drill doesn't have such a limit for coal. The inserter will keep loading it until it is full.

I tried experimenting with delaying setting up electricity and building a working mining line based on burner drills and inserters, so this is a problem.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.7.1] Burner mining drill is a coal hog

Post by kovarex »

Hello, thank you for the report, it will be fixed in 0.7.2

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Sounds like it could be fixed without breking our nice self-feeding burner coal miner array setups :)
I wouldn't mind if burner miners kept higher (double?) amount of coal in stock or something, though.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This setup (we call it joseki ^^) will still work, as the miner ignore the limit.
(It asks for the space in the device as it was not automated, so it allows it to put more).

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

MF- wrote:Sounds like it could be fixed without breking our nice self-feeding burner coal miner array setups :)
I wouldn't mind if burner miners kept higher (double?) amount of coal in stock or something, though.
Right, I use that setup but after a while the maximum of 64 becomes too constraining. Usually I then use a setup with 4 burner miners manually fueled and directly loading the same chest, and eventually fully electric.

I think I'll try replacing the intermediate stage with burner inserters fueling the mining drills and loading into a chest.

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

Holy-Fire wrote:I tried experimenting with delaying setting up electricity and building a working mining line based on burner drills and inserters, so this is a problem.
Now that I have experimented...

I don't recommend it. Burner miners are just too weak (is it just me or did they become weaker in 0.7.x? It seems they now mine at about 1/3 the speed of electric miner), and messing with the burner inserters takes too much time.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

0.7.3 changelog:
Faster mining speed of burner mining drills (66% speed and consumption boost).

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”