A simple mod, adds nuclear locomotives which run on nuclear fuel:
Nuclear locomotives weigh twice as much but are also twice as powerful. This means that a nuclear locomotive with no cargo wagons will accelerate slower than a locomotive running solid fuel, but a nuclear locomotive pulling four fluid wagons will accelerate faster than a locomotive running rocket fuel. Nuclear locomotives also have a 25% increase to their top speed (solid fuel gives a 5% bonus, rocket fuel 15%).
As of 1.1.2, the inserter issue preventing removal of spent fuel has been fixed. Locomotives now use normal uranium fuel cells again, and I have removed the custom fuel from the mod. Any existing stocks you have (including in locomoitves) will automatically be converted to uranium fuel cells. Note that this update requires Factorio 0.15.7.
Nuclear locomotives technology is available when both Nuclear power and Railway have been researched.
- 20 electric engine units
- 30 steel plates
- 10 advanced circuits
- 10 copper plates
Inserters currently do not recognise spent fuel inventories as outputs to take items from, so spent fuel must be manually removed. This is a Factorio problem, not something I can fix.
- 1.1.3 - 2017/12/15 - Updated to Factorio 0.16
- 1.1.2 - 2017/05/05 - Inserter issue resolved, removed now-unnecessary custom fuel
- 1.1.1 - 2017/05/03 - Increased top speed 25%
- 1.1.0 - 2017/04/30 - Added custom fuel as inserters can't remove spent fuel from vehicles
- 1.0.2 - 2017/04/26 - Adjusted locomotive power and weight
- 1.0.1 - 2017/04/25 - Remembered to remove smoke
- 1.0.0 - 2017/04/25 - Initial release