[MOD 0.12.12+] YARM (Yet Another Resource Monitor) v0.7.17

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Cyber_Garret
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.12+] YARM (Yet Another Resource Monitor) v0.7 (build 12)

Post by Cyber_Garret »

Hi again Narc, i can't write PM :( I thinking about better icon for item "Resource Monitor" later i show you another version. If you need help with the icons\gfx that will be glad to help.

YARM-Graphic.zip
Include:
2 Picture for you forum theme
2 Icon for game
Revamped prototypes.lua for new icon

Images created by me from zero.
"What is locked, can be opened,
What is hidden, can be found,
What is yours, can be mine" (c) Garret

My English is very bad, sry.

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SpeedDaemon »

I added YARM to an existing game (12.17), and can't load a save created with YARM active. The previous save (no YARM) is fine, but the current one gets to end of the loading progress bar and hangs.

UPDATE: I left it sit, and after about five minutes, it finally loaded... any ideas why it takes so long?

No actual crash (have to kill the process), so the log isn't terribly informative:
factorio-current
Attachments
02-072.zip
(17.26 MiB) Downloaded 265 times

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

imajor wrote:This mod is a must have, I really like it. One suggestion: when the list is not expanded, I only see those sites which are close to deplete. It would be cool if the list would also contains sites which still has plenty of resources, but the mining rate is low. Usually that indicates something wrong with the site, electric wires broke, trains stuck, anything.
Yes, the plans currently call for several configurable filters and better feedback through some kind of alert system. When I pick this up again, that'll be one of the first things I'll do.

SpeedDaemon wrote:I added YARM to an existing game (12.17), and can't load a save created with YARM active. The previous save (no YARM) is fine, but the current one gets to end of the loading progress bar and hangs.

UPDATE: I left it sit, and after about five minutes, it finally loaded... any ideas why it takes so long?[...]
The more resource tiles (not sites, but actual in-world ore entities) you're tracking, the longer it'll take for Factorio to reload the save as it will need to re-establish the connection between the stored entity references and the ones existing in the world. There are some options I might try to mitigate this, but all it would do is shift the delay from load-time to later -- meaning you'd then have good reason complain that, for the first few minutes after loading a save, you get unpredictable lag spikes.

The best workaround I can offer is to only keep sites you're actually mining, or are about to mine. Be wary of large-area ore patches (the bigger they are, the more impact they have). If using endless resources, remove sites that have reached minimum output, as their entities will keep existing (consuming resources at load-time) but will never change (i.e., no useful feedback).

Cyber_Garret wrote:Hi again Narc, i can't write PM :(
The forum probably needs you to have made a minimum number of useful posts, as an anti-spam measure.
Cyber_Garret wrote:I thinking about better icon for item "Resource Monitor" later i show you another version.
Thanks! I'll wait a few more days, then, while you consider whether to change the item graphic and how.

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SpeedDaemon »

Narc wrote:
SpeedDaemon wrote:I added YARM to an existing game (12.17), and can't load a save created with YARM active. The previous save (no YARM) is fine, but the current one gets to end of the loading progress bar and hangs.

UPDATE: I left it sit, and after about five minutes, it finally loaded... any ideas why it takes so long?[...]
The more resource tiles (not sites, but actual in-world ore entities) you're tracking, the longer it'll take for Factorio to reload the save as it will need to re-establish the connection between the stored entity references and the ones existing in the world. There are some options I might try to mitigate this, but all it would do is shift the delay from load-time to later -- meaning you'd then have good reason complain that, for the first few minutes after loading a save, you get unpredictable lag spikes.

The best workaround I can offer is to only keep sites you're actually mining, or are about to mine. Be wary of large-area ore patches (the bigger they are, the more impact they have). If using endless resources, remove sites that have reached minimum output, as their entities will keep existing (consuming resources at load-time) but will never change (i.e., no useful feedback).
Ah... Bob's Mods + RSO = Problems, then. :)

I suppose I don't REALLY need to monitor that iron patch with 14 million units until it's closer to depletion... (although I suspect that once I get my rocket production up and running, a patch like that may only last about 4 hours)

You might add a note about this situation in the first post. That way people will know they can just wait it out and delete some monitors instead of thinking the save is toast.

bushbaby1234
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bushbaby1234 »

hello i was trying to figure out how to name a resource or combine oil spouts and all i can find on the monitor is the view and delete button. is there something im doing wrong? im playing multiplayer on a local connection and im the host

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

bushbaby1234 wrote:hello i was trying to figure out how to name a resource or combine oil spouts and all i can find on the monitor is the view and delete button. is there something im doing wrong? im playing multiplayer on a local connection and im the host
When you view a site, you can rename it. To merge different deposits (of the same resource!) into a single site, tap each deposit (e.g., oil spouts) in turn before the ten second countdown elapses and the site is created. The countdown resets every time you tap a new deposit. Site addition will be cancelled if you tap the ground, so be precise.

bushbaby1234
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bushbaby1234 »

Narc wrote:
bushbaby1234 wrote:hello i was trying to figure out how to name a resource or combine oil spouts and all i can find on the monitor is the view and delete button. is there something im doing wrong? im playing multiplayer on a local connection and im the host
When you view a site, you can rename it. To merge different deposits (of the same resource!) into a single site, tap each deposit (e.g., oil spouts) in turn before the ten second countdown elapses and the site is created. The countdown resets every time you tap a new deposit. Site addition will be cancelled if you tap the ground, so be precise.
Thanks thats exactly what i needed. loving the mod btw

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.12+] YARM (Yet Another Resource Monitor) v0.7.15

Post by Narc »

Ladies and gentlemen, beloved followers and other interested parties, here is YARM v0.7.15 (direct download)!

Afforess continues showing awesomeness with #26 and #27 -- a major performance enhancement improving save/load times as well as site addition performance. Overall, this is beyond excellent.

There's also a nice improvement from @zorbathut: #25 allows endless resources to have a base value other than 0%, and thus just stay out of your way even when depleted. Personally, I tend to just remove endless sites when they deplete down to their base production, but having the ability to retain them for remote viewing is obviously a good thing.

StoneLegion
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by StoneLegion »

Narc has been busy.

Update 7.16 is now out:
https://github.com/narc0tiq/YARM/releas ... 0.7.16.zip
Changes:
Ensure force_data is available when it should be, even if it wasn't created at game init. Which it really should have been.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Kane wrote:Narc has been busy.

Update 7.16 is now out:
https://github.com/narc0tiq/YARM/releas ... 0.7.16.zip
Changes:
Ensure force_data is available when it should be, even if it wasn't created at game init. Which it really should have been.
It's not quite an official release yet, as I'm still thinking of whether there's a way to avoid checking for that stuff every time, but if anyone had a problem (especially if you like to play multi-force games), that should fix it right up for you.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Hi,

thanks for this nice mod.

I just wonder if it works correctly to keep track of crude oil. Because when I record a new crude oil, it shows percentages well over 100%...

By the way, for crude oil that already has a pumpjack on it, it's not very easy to click on the crude oil below (you can't see it).
So maybe it could be nice to have a little sound also at the beginning of a scan, showing that you correctly selected the "invisible" crude oil.

Have a nice day.
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Hi again,

I saw that before accepting a "eye" on a ressource (and a character change), you check if you are in your body. But the check is an error if the player is in god mod (character = nill), so you could add this simple check also before.

I think it's in resmo.lua, line 677 :

Code: Select all

if player.character.name ~= "player" then
                player.print({"YARM-warn-not-in-real-body"})
                return
end
should be

Code: Select all

if player.character == nil then
                return
elseif player.character.name ~= "player" then
                return
end
Thanks for your help.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

binbinhfr wrote:I just wonder if it works correctly to keep track of crude oil. Because when I record a new crude oil, it shows percentages well over 100%...
There's no way to obtain the yield percent from the oil patch (or there wasn't when I wrote it), so you get a count calibrated to the oil resource's `minimum_resource_amount`.

The default calculation gives you 0% when the endless resource has finished decaying to its minimum yield and 100% when it's twice that, if memory serves -- this can be skewed so as to make a different value for the minimum yield using the dedicated hook in control.lua.
binbinhfr wrote:By the way, for crude oil that already has a pumpjack on it, it's not very easy to click on the crude oil below (you can't see it).
So maybe it could be nice to have a little sound also at the beginning of a scan, showing that you correctly selected the "invisible" crude oil.
This is one of the failings of using YARM for monitoring oil (or hot springs) -- it's tedious to select the individual patches (small mouse targets) and any misclick will normally cancel the new site creation. Unfortunately, I don't see how adding a sound would improve this; what's needed is a way to do an area select or similar.
binbinhfr wrote:I saw that before accepting a "eye" on a ressource (and a character change), you check if you are in your body. But the check is an error if the player is in god mod (character = nill), so you could add this simple check also before.
Thank you, noted.

Thanks for your feedback, and I'm glad you're enjoying YARM!

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Excuse me for my "newbie" questions. Now that i'm a little more in the game, I understand the oil %. As I'm french, I did not catch the word "yield" but now I understand what it means, so effectively, no "ending" or "empty" calculation possible as for the iron or copper.

For the click-on-oil, I also understand, now that I see what kind of event a mod can catch.

So, only my last note about "character == nil" test is relevant :-)

thanks for your help.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

By the way, is there something I'm missing ? because I do not have the settings icon, nor the renames icons... (as shown in your main post) :-(

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

binbinhfr wrote:By the way, is there something I'm missing ? because I do not have the settings icon, nor the renames icons... (as shown in your main post) :-(
The settings screen has yet to be implemented; I only had the button there as a placeholder for the first short while. The rename icon was hidden away inside the site view, because there were getting to be too many site-specific buttons otherwise. Incidentally, thanks for reminding me of that -- it means that I really do need to make sure the site view works while you're in God mode.

SgtKamato
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SgtKamato »

I have a small error with the mod. I can not enter any more resources. It is always an error. In fact 2 different.

(Sry for bad English)
The Picture
English: Greetings SgtKamato

German: MFG SgtKamato

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

SgtKamato wrote:I have a small error with the mod. I can not enter any more resources. It is always an error. In fact 2 different.
This is with YARM v0.7.15, I imagine? Try the v0.7.16 beta (direct download) and let me know if that clears it up for you.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Hi again,

I saw that number of people ask for settings ;-)
Making a settings menu is hard work to implement, but maybe you could just enrich the config.lua that users could edit ?

I would especially like to customize the warn_percent number: I'd like to see only the depleted sites, not the yellow ones.

Or even better : the expando button could have 3 positions :
- full view
- warning view, showing only yellow and red
- always closed, showing nothing (this lacks, because I do not want to see the warning list every time)

And when it's closed, to keep a little warning posibilities, you could just change the color of the expando button : green if all is full, yellow if there is some warned sites, red if there is some empty sites.
So if the color button changes, we could open to have a look and then close again, once we are aware of the situation.... :-)

Any way, thanks for your tool.

PrgSkidmark
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PrgSkidmark »

I installed this mod on my Mac and I started a new game. I have confirmed YARM is enabled, and the save shows YARM active. I put electric mining on each type of ore but YARM only displays the little bullet list icon. I don't get an on screen list of items.
I Wonder if because I'm on Mac it behaves different.
Is there a trick to display the list?
Clicking the bullet list icon does nothing.
Thanks
Doug

Return to “Mods”