Railroad

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.
vulstar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Railroad

Post by vulstar »

I would like to have an armored carriage that has 2 slots for turrets, and 8-10 slots for ammo or batteries to arm them. I could imagine your early game trains to run with the gun turret, and normal ammo, then later on in the game you equip your train with laser turrets and batteries.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

chests content and unconnected chests not showing

Post by brunzenstein »

the lapse that

- the chests contents are not shown correct ( bug in GUI) and
- not connected chest are no easily be found (if not using a mod)

should be tackled in the upcoming major update

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: chests content and unconnected chests not showing

Post by starholme »

brunzenstein wrote:the lapse that

- the chests contents are not shown correct ( bug in GUI) and
- not connected chest are no easily be found (if not using a mod)

should be tackled in the upcoming major update
What does this have to do with the railroad?

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

starholme wrote:
There is no other way to post something into the "Development Proposals forum" as the posting there is strictly limited to certain given headers - sorry for that.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

brunzenstein wrote:
starholme wrote:
There is no other way to post something into the "Development Proposals forum" as the posting there is strictly limited to certain given headers - sorry for that.
Didn't you think there was a reason for that? Posting in this subforum is limited to the topics given. As the subforum description states, "Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers."

That's why there is an Ideas and Suggestions board where you can make your own threads. If you think something is a bug (the chests contents are not shown correct ( bug in GUI)), make a Bug Report.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

daniel34 wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
starholme wrote:
Didn't you think there was a reason for that? Posting in this subforum is limited to the topics given. As the subforum description states, "Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers."

That's why there is an Ideas and Suggestions board where you can make your own threads. If you think something is a bug (the chests contents are not shown correct ( bug in GUI)), make a Bug Report.
Sorry for that

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Speadge »

daniel34 wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
starholme wrote:

he did this several times on other subforums...
i.e. Bugreports to a dedicated Problem for posting another Problem / in fact gameplay question since it was a Problem on physical side
Funfact: i just landed here cause i saw that he posted last and wanted to check if its the same ... "Situation"

Dr.Green
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dr.Green »

Is it possible to get railroad tunnel like underground belts?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This isn't that easy, cause the game would require more or less big entry-zone (otherwise it would look awkward) and something like an underground-level.

Some of that is described here: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14024#p128695 Travel over Water: Boats, Ships, Canus / Bridges / Tunnels
(search for "tunnel" to read the right links)
Especially this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4544 and the linked articles inside. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

raidho36
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by raidho36 »

Can we get trains to signal when they start moving, approaching a gate, and approaching a player?

Pls.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

raidho36 wrote:Can we get trains to signal when they start moving, approaching a gate, and approaching a player?

Pls.
Wire up a signal and set it to output signal mode.

raidho36
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by raidho36 »

No look I get that you can get signaling to work but I want the train to blow the horn, because it's cooler that way.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

raidho36 wrote:No look I get that you can get signaling to work but I want the train to blow the horn, because it's cooler that way.
The closest to what you want. viewtopic.php?f=92&t=21623

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Trains have strange logic that if the shortest path is temporarily occupied they calculate an other path. It is problem because I want to make realistic like rail network (and also practical to run from an outpost to another by the work train) which have many routes from station to another. Sometimes (far too often in my opinion) trains choose absolutely stupid routes. They can run through a 5 kilometer long defense rail instead of a 1 km straight route to avoid waiting 15 seconds on red signal. I do not see any advantage in such behavior. That would be easily avoided if there was a limit how much extra distance train would take. That could be for example 200 units so that train would take a free side track but not very long loop. If it is too strange to default game for some reason, could if be an option, for example a console command to adjust maximum extra distance or setting in lua files.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Your network contains loops. 4/10

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

hitzu wrote:Your network contains loops. 4/10
I know that tree structure would be more optimal in Factorio. However, I want to make more aesthetic, realistic ans practical rail network. It is not huge problem if some train uses couple of extra minutes. However, it is annoying and it would also be very easy and fast to fix with just couple of code lines in route finding function.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Hannu wrote:However, I want to make more aesthetic, realistic ans practical rail network.
I bet there are no "roundabouts" for trains anywhere in the world. It's not realistic.

If you want roundabouts and don't want trains to make big detours then build more options for trains to make shorter detours. This behaviour is made in favor for large stations with many branches and many train stops so trains wouldn't choose only one shortest branch and wait forever when there are 7 empty stops nearby.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

hitzu wrote:I bet there are no "roundabouts" for trains anywhere in the world. It's not realistic.
But there are several possible routes between cities in every country. I did not mean very realistic traffic but as realistic as practically possible in Factorio. I would like that there would be a possibility to make automated switching work and path based traffic control but of course I understand that it is not sane to demand such things because Factorio is not a railway simulator. However, it would be relatively easy to make a simple adjustment what is maximum extra distance, for example through the console or modding interface.
This behaviour is made in favor for large stations with many branches and many train stops so trains wouldn't choose only one shortest branch and wait forever when there are 7 empty stops nearby.
I understand why such behavior is in the game, but I suspect that no one have so huge station which needs 1000 units extra distance. Or 5000 units. I do not ask to change it completely, just give an adjustment to fine tune the game for my gamestyle.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Hannu wrote:I understand why such behavior is in the game, but I suspect that no one have so huge station which needs 1000 units extra distance. Or 5000 units. I do not ask to change it completely, just give an adjustment to fine tune the game for my gamestyle.
How in your opinion pathfinding should predict the time needed for waiting?

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Hannu wrote:Trains have strange logic that if the shortest path is temporarily occupied they calculate an other path. It is problem because I want to make realistic like rail network (and also practical to run from an outpost to another by the work train) which have many routes from station to another. Sometimes (far too often in my opinion) trains choose absolutely stupid routes. They can run through a 5 kilometer long defense rail instead of a 1 km straight route to avoid waiting 15 seconds on red signal. I do not see any advantage in such behavior. That would be easily avoided if there was a limit how much extra distance train would take. That could be for example 200 units so that train would take a free side track but not very long loop. If it is too strange to default game for some reason, could if be an option, for example a console command to adjust maximum extra distance or setting in lua files.
A simple solution would be to disconnect your 5 km defence route from the main transport system.

Return to “Development Proposals”