Remote Spidertron Inventory Control

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SalamanderCmndr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Remote Spidertron Inventory Control

Post by SalamanderCmndr »

TL;DR
Allow Spidertron Remotes to manage Spidertron settings

What ?
Instead of having to manually visit a Spidertron to change its settings, have the Spidertron Remote be able to open the inventory menu of its associated Spidertron, allowing inventory management, logistics changes, ammo swapping, changes to targeting mode, etc.
Why ?
A Spidertron can be largely independent from direct player interaction, with logistics and follow mode being added, but logistics/trash having to be set in person makes it slightly less viable for dynamic use, and practically unusable for tasks like delivering items to places without train lines or connected logistics systems, such as when setting up new, far-away outposts.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Remote Spidertron Inventory Control

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

SalamanderCmndr wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:58 pm
logistics/trash having to be set in person makes it slightly less viable for dynamic use, and practically unusable for tasks like delivering items to places without train lines or connected logistics systems, such as when setting up new, far-away outposts.
Make a spidertron(or group of them) dedicated to outposting. You can have them follow a lead spidertron (of a different color for easy selection) and give each one unique requests for a different type of outpost.

They aren't supposed to deliver items unless constructing, so I don't see why you are complaining about that. (though I could see a usecase where one wants to add logistic bots to a new network for the first time: that seems currently impossible without a rail connection)
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is hard related to the more covering suggestion
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61147 Editing in map view
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:04 am
This is hard related to the more covering suggestion
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61147 Editing in map view
I find this suggestion more "understandable" than the "control things from map view", which is a very nice QoL, but feels a bit like "doing magic from the distance".
At least, with spidertron, you have a remote control with which it would make sense to do more stuff.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

I just wanted to write a request that is similar to this one.

But in my case, I just want remote access to spideys logistics requests tab. Trunk and equipment grid should be inaccessible like the fuel tab in trains, when remotely accessing them.

My reasoning is, that the requests tab is just information contrary to trunk, grid and ammo. These make sense to be inaccessible from the distance. You might argue, that logistic chests, assemblers and combinators recipes also can not be accessed from the distance. That is true, but
1. For all of them I can make a local blueprint, and let it be built in the distance by bots. Spidey is a special case. It can not be placed or removed by bots and properties can not be copied over from a local spidertron to a distant one.
2. Trains schedules can also be accessed from the distance.

My current motivation for this request is, that I am playing on an extremely stretched out map (Comfy/Redmew desert oasis scenario - it is really well done). Resource outposts are far away and going there by nuclear fueled train can take minutes. So I send spidertrons. But I have to think of everything I ever would like to build, or I can go there and back, spending 5 minutes on travel time or recall spidey to reconfigure it and send it back out. And yes I have supply trains going there and the first things spidey sets up, are a train station for supplies and a botnet. But still there is stuff to be built outside the botnet.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Your addition is described in viewtopic.php?p=368829#p368829 Editing in map view

I currently think there is a difference in editing immobile entities like combinator, inserter etc. and mobile ones, like the spider, trains, cars.
I’m not sure, if that should be so mighty.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”