Explorer Pack

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Filtiarn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Explorer Pack

Post by Filtiarn »

(For all ye explorers out there)

Explorer capsule

#recipe:
6Image + 4Image = explorer capsule

#suggestion:
-a capsule that spawns 2 long lasting non combat, explorer robots that have powerful mounted light systems
-explorer robots don't count towards follower robots and a max of 4 can exist / player
-upon spawning, the robots each take different sides of a player in a predetermined range and start rotating clockwise at the same time (first 2 robots will go E and W and the other 2 N and S; if a robot from the E or W side is destroyed one from the N or S side will move in it's place)
-explorer robots will have the lowest amount of aggro gain, even lower then the player
(effect) --> a alternative to night vision goggles that don't consume modular armor space but have a more limited reveal range

Camouflage shield

#recipe:
//undecided

#suggestion:
-a shield that can be inserted into a modular armor that reduces the player signature making the distance at which monsters aggro the player less
-shield occupies 2x2 and the effect stacks only 3 times ; once players attack the camouflage shield effect will be removed
(effect) --> makes map exploring possible and less risky in areas with fewer hives

Multiple Modular Armor layouts & Layouts swap button

#suggestion:
-modular armor layouts tabs should be added to any modular armor that would allow a player to predefine different types of layouts to switch between ( Basic modular armor: 2 tabs; Power armor: 3 tabs; Power armor MK2: 4 tabs )
(effect) --> at the press of 1 button a player can switch between a fighting layout with more shields or a builder layout with more movement speed

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Explorer Pack

Post by ssilk »

Very good suggestions - if you split them into three posts. :)

Btw, the last one can be also achieved by having some modular armors, each in different layout.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

I love the concept of Explorer capsule, although I think they should cost batteries and they should go only towards the direction that player sends them i.e. not rotate around. They can fly 20-40 chunks away or until destroyed and they see only 1 chunk around them. In my mind it is reasonable balance.

Also I could propose a "Lighting capsule". It is a stack of 3 bots that fly around the player and emit light. They count as one follower and have very long lifespan, about half an hour. I think it is a very good alternative of the annoing eye-hurting night vision. :lol:

tecxx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tecxx »

+1 for the night vision replacement suggestion by explorer bot. altough it would be much cooler if explorer bots actually would help you "explore", e.g. find not yet discovered resource patches, or show direction there, etc, or help you clear the forest to make a trail.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Light robots. not sure I'd call them Explorer, when I read that word, my assumption was that you were sugesting a robot that basically flies away and discovers new land, IE, wherever it is, it reveals the map to you.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

bobingabout wrote:Light robots. not sure I'd call them Explorer, when I read that word, my assumption was that you were sugesting a robot that basically flies away and discovers new land, IE, wherever it is, it reveals the map to you.
I thought of it the same way. That's why I think it would be better we get both: explorer bots that discover the map and lighting bots that illuminate the area around you. :)

Filtiarn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Filtiarn »

@ssilk
I thought it counter-productive for me to flood the forum with multiple threads when I am thinking of posting up more such things in the near future. I hope you can understand my dilemma and why it wouldn't be useful to anyone to separate the suggestions into multiple threads.

@hitzu
I don't think they should cost batteries because it is meant as a early tool for willing explorers.

@tecxx @bobingabout @hitzu

I do not understand why you misunderstand "explorer" to be a adjective when I clearly meant it as a noun. Hence why I dubbed the thread such and why I clearly said "For all ye explorers out there". Also it is my opinion that the player should not obtain map information without risk or there is a possibility of making the concept of the "Radar" obsolete and that is why I didn't suggest that the robots should be able to detach from the player.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Filtiarn wrote:I do not understand why you misunderstand "explorer" to be a adjective when I clearly meant it as a noun. Hence why I dubbed the thread such and why I clearly said "For all ye explorers out there". Also it is my opinion that the player should not obtain map information without risk or there is a risk in making the concept of the "Radar" obsolete and that is why I didn't suggest that the robots should be able to detach from the player.
Excuse me, sir, but you shall not think that absolutely every person in the internet is a native english speaker, so if you cannot convey the idea as clearly as possible then you may at least show some respect and not to point to allegedly the lack of the gumption.
Secondly this is a place for debating, so I humbly ask to not reject people's minds that could enrich you idea the authorship of which we have no doubt.

Ok,let's start from the beggining. Why would you start to explore from early game stages? We get first capsules in the "green science age" as well as batteries. It would make no sence if we can get explorers bots much earlier than defender capsules, right? Personally I reserch batteries first and start figting using bots much later. So I think it is fair enough to require batteries from the gameplay perspective as well as from the point of realism cause that bots should stay alive long enough to do their job well.

Filtiarn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Filtiarn »

I did not replay with bad intention, I was just surprised. My apologies if I insulted in any way.

And yes let's get back to the subject at hand. For me the idea is not directly based on a logical progression of tech but a game "type" progression. For instance, let's say that the monster AI is revamped, if so there is a need for a very early exploration method that will allow the player to explore without setting up a base due to the fact of how pollution currently works. So in that instance a player would want to find a better location and secure it before the the biters start evolving. So that is my reasoning behind not wanting batteries to be part of the recipe and as I said above I am of the opinion that every action that a player takes should have a element of danger attached to it so that the game would be more appealing to players by creating risk / reward situations.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

For me it seems like a cheating to obtain very powerful and handy bots and something like invisble cloak at the very beginning in a moment of coal era with no automation at all. If you want this in the beginning you could use cheats or something like "Quick start mod", cause your arguments are based on a very specific conditions of the game that almost nobody plays like that.
I personally use RSO mod and cheat a car just to quiqer explore if it is even a playable map I get.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Filtiarn wrote:@ssilk
I thought it counter-productive for me to flood the forum with multiple threads when I am thinking of posting up more such things in the near future. I hope you can understand my dilemma and why it wouldn't be useful to anyone to separate the suggestions into multiple threads.
It's useful to the devs, as they prefer that method. If you want your suggestion to be seen by the devs, using that method is the best way.

Please see https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=3394 namely the third point under 'your suggestion is for the devs'

Filtiarn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Filtiarn »

@ FishSandwich
Might you mean the first rule? "One suggestion per post!", because the third rule is a little vague and I don't think my post would need a TL;DR. At least I think I made the thread as short and concise as possible without sacrificing the overall image of my suggestion. I would also love to see a dev express his opinion on this matter because I think that as long as I don't do more then 3 ideas / thread and as long as I keep a theme to each post it would be more beneficial to the overall quality of the forum and the sanity of the devs. The key word here would be easy to find and easy to keep track of so I don't think I am out of line when I say it would be better this way.

@hitzu
The camouflage shield would be a mid tier item, so it is not a starting item. The robot suggestion as I presented it would not be so over powered because the player himself still needs to do the exploring, the robots will only act as a higher tier source of mobile night vision which would be needed as a exploration tool in the early game and when building during early --> mid-game if the player is racing against time. So do not think just because they are robots they might be overpowered, think about the how the idea would be implemented in the game.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

No, I meant this:
if they now find a thread with hundreds of ideas, they cannot use it, cause they don't have the time to read all, cause there are so many other, and maybe better ideas.
If you want to do it your own way, then you are of course at liberty to do it your own way. But not following the suggestion guidelines(not rules) just lowers the chance of your idea being seen by a dev.

Edit: btw, as the mods here it is mine and ssilk's job to worry about any headaches the devs will get from the forum. :p

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Filtiarn wrote:@tecxx @bobingabout @hitzu

I do not understand why you misunderstand "explorer" to be a adjective when I clearly meant it as a noun. Hence why I dubbed the thread such and why I clearly said "For all ye explorers out there". Also it is my opinion that the player should not obtain map information without risk or there is a possibility of making the concept of the "Radar" obsolete and that is why I didn't suggest that the robots should be able to detach from the player.
Adjectives? Nouns? Even though I am a native english speaker, and am fluent in the language, I got a D in high school English. These are just words to me, I'm a scientist and a mathmatician, English, as a whole is like a foreign language to me when my brain runs on numbers. Therefore, to properly understand language, I have to assign meaning and memorise meanings, rather than simply understand words. Exporer means... Expore, to explore is to discover, find undiscovered things. to my mind that is the only meaning of the word because I have never heard it used in any other context.

And if I, a native english speaking scientist, cannot see how "Explorer" ties in with "Provides light" at a first glance, how are the non-native english speaking people supposed to understand it? Therefore in my opinion it's a bad name.

Might I sugest an alternative.

Illumination Robot. It Illuminates, provides light, that's what the word means.

As it was pointed out to me by somsone, an "Explorer's robot", as in a robot that belongs to an explorer MIGHT make some sense, but even then the name is obscure to what it does, and might not work in all languages.

Also, I do like the idea.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”