All machines to have circuit network control

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

All machines to have circuit network control

Post by SkiCarver »

I would like to be able to connect any machine to a circuit network in order to read the contents and control behaviour.

I suggest that, as a general rule, all machine properties and methods should be accessible to a circuit network. For example, I would like to be able to control a furnace, feeding it with multiple ores and allowing the circuit network to decide which it will process. The same applies to assemblers (reading contents and controlling production) and other objects. Another example - it would be useful to read the number of trains associated with a station, to use the circuit network to create a visual signal of the number in order to quickly see which mines can have additional trains assigned.
There are a number of areas where reading and controlling machines via the circuit network would add greatly to the depth of the game, but as furnaces, assemblers, centrifuges ... are 'black boxes', the opportunities for automation are limited.
While I understand that new/casual players may not be interested, I believe the benefits of, for example, being able to read an "IsActive" signal from a centrifuge would greatly simplify the task of optimising the processing of Uranium (to limit a machine to 40 U235) and therefore more people would be inclined to use circuit networks.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: All machines to have circuit network control

Post by Koub »

Actually, this is a kind of meta-suggestion regrouping many others individually suggestiong more things readable by circuits. I have seen such suggestion for :
- radars
- assembling machines, and their production
- turrets
- and many others.

The issue is that there has to be some enumeration at some point : the devs can't just add a "output everything" and have everything we ever needed or will ever need be readable for circuit network.
As an example, I've seen recently appear a need to know how much of the maximum discharge rate of accumulators was attained at a specific moment. That need was unexpected until recently.

Don't get me wrong : I fully agree that the more things can be circuit read/controlled, the better it will be to give people the ability to build awesome stuff. But we need to express our needs, because some will be not-so-obvious.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Being able to connect more types of entities to the circuit network has been discussed a bit in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60377 Circuit Network Information 2.0 - Open Your World

I agree that it would be nice if more entities were controllable and/or readable by the circuit network. However, I would only be in favor of being able to connect more entities to the circuit network if it wouldn't impact UPS (performance) too much.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

Koub wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:43 am
Actually, this is a kind of meta-suggestion regrouping many others individually suggestiong more things readable by circuits. I have seen such suggestion for :
- radars
- assembling machines, and their production
- turrets
- and many others.

The issue is that there has to be some enumeration at some point : the devs can't just add a "output everything" and have everything we ever needed or will ever need be readable for circuit network.
As an example, I've seen recently appear a need to know how much of the maximum discharge rate of accumulators was attained at a specific moment. That need was unexpected until recently.

Don't get me wrong : I fully agree that the more things can be circuit read/controlled, the better it will be to give people the ability to build awesome stuff. But we need to express our needs, because some will be not-so-obvious.

Hi,
To be clear, my request was specifically the existing properties and methods associated with the class object. There will be some form of 'IsActive' property for every machine, for example. If this were to be accessible, we can choose how we wish to use it.

daifeiya
Inserter
Inserter

It is recommended to add automatic control of Assembly machine

Post by daifeiya »

Now the scale of the factory is getting bigger and bigger. The Assembly machine is omnipotent and can make a very large variety of items. In order to make different items we often have to place too many assembly machines, in order to reduce the size of the factory and CPU consumption, I hope that the future version of the assembly machine can be connected (circuit) control, so that we can use the circuit to automatically change the assembly machine production accounts, thus greatly reducing the size of the factory, truly automate.
This is Machine translation, maybe not right. The theme is automated assembly machines

Antilope
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: It is recommended to add automatic control of Assembly machine

Post by Antilope »

LOL i just wrote a similar request :D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with similar suggestion. (Also this kind of suggestion is very recurrent since very old times)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”