TL;DRSequence of nuclear fuel reprocessing technologies (recipes), that replaces Kovarex enrichment.
BackgroundFirst of all, nuclear energy is awesome. But for me, it is too simple. I'd like nuclear industry to be more complicated then just Kovarex enrichment (one simple recipe that solves all problems), and have some inner technological progression.
Currently Nuclear fuel reprocessing is very boring and almost useless. So I've tried to replace Kovarex enrichment with more complex multistage Nuclear fuel reprocessing, which could be split into multiple sequential researches, each one increasing power production.
Also this reprocessing must be able to cope with either surplus and shortage of U238.
Thus I wanted to make the set of recipes with the following properties:
- They can be combined into enclosed cycles (U235 + U238 -> power) in several ways.
- These cycles must have different U235:U238 ratios both greater and less then natural proportion ( 1:142 ).
- Minimum additional intermediates so as not to over-complicate the system.
ConceptI came to the following :
1 extra intermediate - Plutonium (can be replaced with more abstract radioactive byproduct).
4 recipes for nuclear fuel production :
- Tier 0 - basic fuel production :
U235 + U238 -> FC
- Tier 1 - reuse residual uranium from DC, also get some "garbage" Pu :
DC + U238 -> FC + Pu
- Tier 2 - MOX-fuel, partially replace U235 with Pu in basic fuel production :
U235 + Pu + U238 -> FC
- Tier 3 - fuel exhaustion, pump up DC with Pu to get the most out of it :
DC + Pu + U238 -> FC
DetailsCombinations of these recipes allow to handle surplus of any component.
Tier 0 is already implemented and it is nice : 1 U235 + 19 U238 -> 10 FC.
By manipulating the proportions in other recipes, very different results can be obtained.
Some examples :
- Nice rates:
1x : 1 U235 + 10 Pu + 35 U238 -> 20 FC
10x : 5 DC + 5 U238 -> 3 FC + 4 Pu
10x : 4 DC + 3 Pu + 7 U238 -> 4FC
Cycle : 1 U235 + 155 U238 -> 90 FC
- Not so nice rates:
6x : 1 U235 + 15 Pu + 45 U238 -> 25FC
75x : 5 DC + 5 U238 -> 3 FC + 5 Pu
95x : 2 DC + 3 Pu + 3 U238 -> 2FC
Cycle : 1 U235 + 155 U238 -> 94.16 FC
- It is possible to get rid of this doubtful proportion 1:1 in tier4, but numbers will be not so nice.
- Centrifuge ratios can also be tuned with recipe times.
- Any additional chemical ingredients are very welcome.
- Nuke could require Pu.
- Out-of-use byproduct "Nuclear waste" and special facility "Nuclear burial ground" that destroys waste ( time + Nuclear waste -> nothing ), producing huge pollution.
Hope you like this suggestion. I believe it's more challenging and rewarding then Kovarex enrichment.