Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest (red slots) and vice versa

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Restricted Storage Interaction

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:27 pm
It says "[...] cannot be filled by machines". That excludes the engineer. So hand filling is by design OK, hence not a bug.
netmand wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:36 pm
ah so, then since it cannot be filled by the engineer (via shift-click) then wouldn't that be a bug? If we all don't want to classify this so severely, At least it supports the intention of the topic.
Yeah, I missed the place where someone mentioned that you could manually drag & drop into it. I don't think I honestly knew that you could (or I forgot).

As such, I think this should be less of an idea & suggestion, and more of a bug report? Let the devs sort it out from there which way... is the tooltip & filling by hand a bug, or the fact that you can't fill via ctrl/shift+click a bug?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1601
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Restricted Storage Interaction

Post by mmmPI »

I don't think there's any bug here. The tooltip is literally exact : "it prevent machines from filling the chest".

It is not saying that it is forcing the engineer to use another method that the classic hotkey to fill it, like dragging things stack by stack. It omit to mentions the fact but what is mentionned isn't "wrong" it's just incomplete in a way :).

It would be a nice idea/additions (imo), to have a hotkey to skip the dragging things stack by stack.

But not to remove the way the limit functions as you can take advantage of it for fast and precise manual refilling in early game.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Restricted Storage Interaction

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mmmPI wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:51 pm
It omit to mentions the fact [...] it's just incomplete in a way :).
Yes, so that's a bug. I really don't care which way the devs want to go about it now knowing that you already can manually drag & drop, but either the tooltip and the ability of the player to fill these is a bug, or the omission of allowing ctrl/shift+click is. Or maybe it's as intended (for some reason), but without anything from the devs, I'm more likely to believe that the omission of allowing ctrl/shift+click is a bug (or oversight, if you will, but that's still a bug).

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1601
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Restricted Storage Interaction

Post by mmmPI »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:47 pm
Or maybe it's as intended (for some reason), but without anything from the devs,
I understand your point of view of willing to ask the question in bug as it would allow to know if it IS or NOT by design.

Which could then help the suggestion of adding a new hotkey to allow a different behavior if that was by design ( my prefered outcome), or just not even need the suggestion if it was an oversight.( not prefered outcome as I would miss the ancient behavior).

I had never really read/memorized the tooltip

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 5112
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:10 am
Contact:

Re: Restricted Storage Interaction

Post by mrvn »

netmand wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:36 pm
Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:27 pm
It says "[...] cannot be filled by machines". That excludes the engineer. So hand filling is by design OK, hence not a bug.
ah so, then since it cannot be filled by the engineer (via shift-click) then wouldn't that be a bug? If we all don't want to classify this so severely, At least it supports the intention of the topic.
Kind of. But that behavior is actually a nice feature. The suggestion above would allow keeping that but also allow filling chests past the restriction if desired. Best of both worlds.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 6759
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am
Contact:

Re: Restricted Storage Interaction

Post by Koub »

Don't get me wrong, I also wish I could Ctrl-Click my trash into the reduced slots, but I don't expect the devs to add the feature, as they usually don't invest too much time polishing the manual interactions part of the game, to focus on the automation part.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 12723
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Restricted Storage Interaction

Post by ssilk »

I think that also. And in neither case it is a bug, because the tooltip says what to await from machine interaction, but nothing about character interaction. Could be any behavior and is in the current state just an awaited behavior.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:51 am
Contact:

Re: Restricted Storage Interaction

Post by Zaflis »

Just bumping this up, since it is possibly the most important QoL feature that game is still missing.

I was even thinking today if it would be possible to override the behavior with a mod?

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 12723
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest (red slots) and vice versa

Post by ssilk »

I repeat: it looks useful, but might never be implemented, because players should use automation instead of manual interaction. See 2 posts above.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:51 am
Contact:

Re: Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest (red slots) and vice versa

Post by Zaflis »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:19 am
I repeat: it looks useful, but might never be implemented, because players should use automation instead of manual interaction. See 2 posts above.
You can't avoid that at all with malls, modded playthroughs and buffer chests.
And those things are not something that people will stop using even if it was not recommended practise.

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 12723
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Bulk transferring items from player inventory into a limited chest (red slots) and vice versa

Post by ssilk »

Maybe it sounds so. But I never said I’m against this. Just telling my experience.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Post Reply

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”