Such That This:
Could Become This:
Currently the following "advanced" buildings in Vanilla [16.42] still do not allow connection to the circuit network to at least read their contents
- Steam Turbine, N.Reactor - "I want to measure current steam content/fuel content to flip a power-switch or control seperate centrifuge setup inputs for making less or more reactor-fuel/nuclear bullets/nuclear rocket fuel."
- Electric Smelter, Assembling Machine 2/3, Centrifuge - "I want to read contents of this machine to control an inserter inputting/outputting items from/to a belt or box."
(Such precise control might allow a line of smelters to reach 100 internal plates before ore-input is diverted to other places. Hell, I dunno, maybe circuit-controlled filters for requester chests can be controlled by the smelters themselves depending on if it's idling or not.)
- Beacons - Okay, no, I'm just messing with you, this is the least useful thing to output content data for.
- Research Lab, Rocket Silo, - "I want to signal bots to pickup/move more resources/research packs only once said resource is completely used up."
- Chem Plant, Oil Refinery. - "I want my Programmable Speakers to blare an alarm once yield for this patch/pumpjack falls under X.X/s ".
- Mining Drills, Splitters - "I want to control a belt/splitter to activate/change its output filter depending on what signal it receives."
- Gun/Flame/Artillery Turrets - Need I say more?
Unless it would result in an unacceptable UPS drop from extra signalling not typically handled by the game-logic, I personally cannot fathom any discernable disadvantage from having this in the base mod, but am open to critique.
I seem to remember many versions back being able to attach a signal wire to a stone-smelter, but that was a while ago.
It should also be worth noting that while researching the circuit network is not required to research end-game tech, it sits rather comfortably amongst the starter tech, available right after "Electronics" as one of the first Red/Green techs accessible to research, so perhaps the number of buildings that could be added the list of "Read Contents" could plausibly be even longer.
- Yes, there are mods which deal with a few of these issues in different ways but usually requiring extra entities.
- Yes, this has been suggested before
- ...in various formats.
building connect connection circuits circuit network furnace signals signalling missing smelter wires wire green red read content measure measuring measurement content contents