Programming Bots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Hex-Advure
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Programming Bots

Post by Hex-Advure »

TL;DR
Instead of bots being able to do anything and automatically, i propose you have to program bots on what to do

What?
Looking at last week's and the week before that's Friday fact, this is my idea of how bots could be nerfed, instead of there being 5 different chest types, i think there should only be 1 chest type. you can now go into a robot's menu when it's in your inventory, in this menu, is a map of the area covered by Robo-Ports. you can click on any chest on the map, and when you do, you can choose to;
A: Have a variable equal how much of a specified item is in there.
B: Take a specified item out of the chest and into the robot
C: Drop a specified item from the robot and into the chest
robots can also have variables shared between robots
robots can have if statements, and defining variable statements.
you get the point.
Why?
Making bots would be more tedious, making less people want to do it. To make it not too tedious, you would be able to copy one bots program onto another

flapje
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Programming Bots

Post by flapje »

+1

I think it wold also be cool if you cold use some sort of "real" programming langues. I mean keep your system so everyone can use it. but also give the tools for more advanced users. This ,I think, will lead to some very cool creations.

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FactorioParadox »

The problem is that bots would either have to lose their programming when they go into the robot-port so they can stack as items or keep their programming but not be able to stack. Alternatively, you could program Roboports and they would communicate instructions to their robots.

I am also concerned about how this would affect construction robots.

Hex-Advure
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hex-Advure »

FactorioParadox wrote:The problem is that bots would either have to lose their programming when they go into the robot-port so they can stack as items or keep their programming but not be able to stack. Alternatively, you could program Roboports and they would communicate instructions to their robots.

I am also concerned about how this would affect construction robots.
perhaps each robot port could have 10 slots which each have a differant program, and you put the amount of bots in each slot as the amount of bots you want with that program. when the bots come back they would return to the same slot. as for construction robots, they would have seperate slots, no changes.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”