QoL: Auto-refuel car/tank from player inventory

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

QoL: Auto-refuel car/tank from player inventory

Post by Lav »

Suggestion
When a player is trying to drive a vehicle that's out of fuel, and has some fuel in his/her inventory, the vehicle should be automatically refueled with a single stack of the most efficient fuel player has.
Why
Because manual refueling of a freshly placed car doesn't add any challenge to the game except some menial work for the player.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: QoL: Auto-refuel car/tank from player inventory

Post by Koub »

Actually, I'd like every vehicle "mined" to keep its configuration, so that the next time it is plonked down, it refills everything (ammo, fuel, cargo, ...) the way it was (to the extent of what the player has in his inventory).
And I also think this should be made into vanilla, because it's not (imho) a "niche need". I favor mods when something is needed only by a fraction of Factorio's audience, this is not the case.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Rakshasa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rakshasa »

To fail to refuel seems like it should have some kind of penalty, e.g. a delay before the refueling action activates.

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

Koub wrote:Actually, I'd like every vehicle "mined" to keep its configuration, so that the next time it is plonked down, it refills everything (ammo, fuel, cargo, ...) the way it was (to the extent of what the player has in his inventory).
And I also think this should be made into vanilla, because it's not (imho) a "niche need". I favor mods when something is needed only by a fraction of Factorio's audience, this is not the case.
Or blueprints for vehicles that include inventory.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Another quality of life improvement will be a game option to automatically add some fuel from the player inventory when building vehicles (car, tank or locomotive), making rail transportation as simple as placing a locomotive on a rail, entering it and control-clicking where you want to go.
Source
Now that's a neat timing :)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I find it very rare that if you put down any type of vehicle you will need more than 50 coal, which shouldn't be hard to keep on you - 100 wood works as well. Trains would probably use the most fuel, but you can fit 3x as much fuel in them, and in that case the amount of fuel you have on you is probably the bigger issue.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

NeXuS
Inserter
Inserter

Auto fueling Cars and Tanks

Post by NeXuS »

TL;DR
Auto-fill in of fuel into cars and tanks after placing them from the inventory.

What ?
I'd like the idea to automated fueling tanks and cars just picked out of inventory. So, if you place your car a routine will have a look through your inventory and fuel the car with the best fuel available in your inventory.
To get it easier the algorithm has the following preferences:
NuclearFuel -> RocketFuel -> SolidFuel -> Coal -> RawWood

Best might be a game option to toggle this behavior between
  • OFF -> There is no auto fueling
  • HALF -> Auto fueling uses half of a full stack (i.e. 25 coal)
  • FULL -> Auto fueling uses a full stack (i.e. 50 coal)
This behavior might be expanded to fueled mining drills as well.
Why ?
Next to my own behavior I often see users in Let's Plays taking there cars with them after leaving the car. So, before being ready to drive to an attack spot or to another point in the factory, they have to open their inventory (again) and fueling the car manually.
Having an auto fuel algorithm might be a great plus in user friendly programming. ;-)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into very similar older topic

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”