Show status of requested items for player inventory

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mickael9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Show status of requested items for player inventory

Post by mickael9 »

I think it would be a nice addition to be able to see whenever an item is requested (both from a requester chest and from a player), whether or not the request can be fullfilled.

This could be indicated by showing a small number in the corner of the requested logistic slot (or next to the requested item count) indicating how many items of that type are coming.

Ideally one would be able to tell if :
  • The requested items are not (or only partially) available in the logistic system
  • Robots are currently dispatching the requested item(s)
  • No robots are currently available but the items will be delivered whenever possible
My main concern here is that sometimes I need an item and I don't know if it's available in the logistic system so I just order it and wait for it to come, but I have no way to tell if something is actually coming.
Last edited by ssilk on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title according to discussion.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Show status of requested items from logistic system

Post by ssilk »

You already see, how much items are delivered to this chest? If zero items are delivered, but you have plenty robots free then you lack that item. :)
All that can be seen, when you hover over the chest. :) Not ideal, but working.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mickael9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mickael9 »

Of course but if you have a large network and the item is far away it can be very long before you see any item arriving, so you have no direct feedback whether the item is available or not, you have to wait.

mickael9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mickael9 »

I just found at that my suggestion is already partially implemented, see the "Deliver" section here ?
delivery.png
delivery.png (47.23 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
So I change my suggestion : can we have the same thing but for the player inventory ?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Show status of requested items for player inventory

Post by ssilk »

mickael9 wrote:I just found at that my suggestion is already partially implemented, see the "Deliver" section here ?
That's what I already told above. :)
it can be very long before you see any item arriving, so you have no direct feedback whether the item is available or not, you have to wait.
Show time remaining until (first ? last?) item is coming. (?)
What is the usage of that? Why do you need to wait? In my opinion it doesn't tell you anything important. Or it depends very strong on . But on the other hand you can hover over the chest and then you can see the robots, that will deliver to that requester marked.
can we have the same thing but for the player inventory ?
Well, that looks more useful. But it makes only sense if we have "one-time-requests", request-slots, that are only requested once/or until the specified amount of items are fulfilled, cause only then you can estimate the needed time (this is a problem, cause you cannot know, how the player is walking or how much the bots are charged).
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

No, it doesn't only make sense for the (non-existent, apparently) one-time delivery orders.

It's precisely how I came to this thread: wondering if anyone had suggested a display like for chests, but for the player. I'm continuously wonder whether any bots are en route to me... I *can* do the "workaround" of checking my inventory against the logistics slots, but that's tedious (especially with the mess the inventory is... how the f is that thing order anyway?). I can also hover (if in view-range) over the chest they'd deliver from (IF there is only one such... all my fabs so far have been rather tiny in comparison).

But I hate workarounds/bandaids... why *did* we invent computers again?

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

ssilk wrote:But it makes only sense if we have "one-time-requests"
From my games most requests are actually one-time-requests (like "gimme 50 electric furnaces"). So I'd make request one-time by default. Belts, inserters, tubes are all-time requests and as more rare kind can be marked by middle-click in logistic slots (analogous with toolbelt middle-clicking) to make them all-time requests.

As for seeing what's available - just hover over any logistic chest or roboport, you'll see all items available. It's hard to read and information jumps in realtime, but I heard that will improve in 0.13

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

To add: when you get logistics slots, there's a lot of empty room in that middle column below those slots. Which is the *perfect* place to put this info.

And yes, some are one shot. Others aren't. There should, IMHO, be a way to specify one-time orders. There isn't, is there?

Oh... and I'd also would love if I could set the amount *before* the slot is activated. But that's another (though related) topic.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”