Endgame content filler - simple orbital station

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Endgame content filler - simple orbital station

Post by Tev »

Well, devs abandoned making more polished endgame (for now). I think we need some better filler until automated spaceship-factories are implemented . . . Devs’ time is precious, so it has to be simple (also so it can be potentially made into a mod).

I always liked the idea of launching many rockets. They might make something offscreen, I don’t really care, as long as it gives meaning to those launches. And that led me to the idea of simple orbital station.

Core ideas:
  • EDIT (needs emphasizing): whole station is offscreen, you just see its stats
    - remake win condition to “send S.O.S. message to Earth”, achievable with 10 or less launches (so everyone can “win”, but also feel like he did something useful)
    - number of launches enables more research (you get experienced with space stuff)
    - some research / orbital modules will make rockets cheaper (like productivity modules: investing a lot resources to make more efficient factory in the long run)
    - modular station that can grow infinitely
    - station requires refueling so you need to launch rockets (say at least once per 10 hours), else it deorbits
Now to make making building some offscreen station worthwhile you need to add some bonuses. I came up with 3 things: (no interplanetary stuff, let’s keep it simple to make)
  • - revealing all explored areas + ability to look anywhere (where you’ve revealed map). Large factories are slow to travel around, so you can “pay” for remote supervision (player action shouldn't be allowed I think)
    - beamed power: solars are more efficient in orbit + never shaded, so you can invest in really expensive and really reliable and space saving power source
    - ion cannon: logical extension of beamed power + to make late game expansion easy and fast
Implementation would be easy:
  • - New recipes (partially dynamic, based on research) and research (tied to number of launches)
    - Orbital station would have some simple overview showing it’s fuel / energy / ports (for docking and modules).
    - “Observer” mode would have some button on the global map and would show you selected area - basically what YARM does (for selected mining site).
    - Ion cannon would be tied to observer mode, and would in the simplest version just wipe all entities in one chunk, maybe with some modified beam animation.
I tried to figure out some kind of balanced preliminary research tree and numbers here (google spreadsheet). I might do the mod myself, but I won’t have time for it until Christmas, and I’ll have to learn a bit about lua first. I’d like to persuade devs to implement it (in 0.13, 0.14 . . .), because real ion cannon graphics would be cool, but if some experienced modder wants to take a shot at it I wouldn’t mind . . .
I think only one implementation is desirable, for many reasons, but I don’t know . . . Say what YOU think :) I appreciate any comments - they will be helpful for me if I try to make it myself ;)
Last edited by Tev on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tmr_2000
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Endgame content filler - simple orbital station

Post by tmr_2000 »

How come none of the science requires purple?
I just though as all of the current endgame stuff requires purple, so this should follow the same format.
Otherwise, a very good idea, and i would love to see it made!

Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tev »

tmr_2000 wrote:How come none of the science requires purple?
I just though as all of the current endgame stuff requires purple, so this should follow the same format.
Otherwise, a very good idea, and i would love to see it made!
Well on low biter difficulties you might even struggle to get artifacts for vanilla research. So requiring tens of thousands of more artifacts would be a bit sadistic :D

Even in my max-biter factory I have only 30k artifacts after ~100 hours . . .

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

I might try and help on this project, I'm not really good at balancing, so the number you created are a good start. Lets look at the response and I'll try and make something when I have some more time

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

There's nothing "simple" about creating a completely new game layer with its own set of rules.

This is expansion pack tier.

Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tev »

No, it's simple, you just need some logic around research and recipes and one object in game state that stores state of the station. And simple interface showing that state. There could be some animations (esp. for ion cannon), but not much for a mod. If devs choose to implement it they'll probably spruce it up a little but apart from that cannon nothing major is needed.

Please read the OP (and look at the spreadsheet] before responding again.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

bobucles wrote:There's nothing "simple" about creating a completely new game layer with its own set of rules.

This is expansion pack tier.
I made a huge 500 word rand on another thread, but I dont think that it would be appropriate to put it here. Instead, here is a summary; DLC= Bad. This is AAA game idiocy. If I want to give the devs more money, I can donate or gift the game to a friend.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Instead, here is a summary; DLC= Bad. This is AAA game idiocy. If I want to give the devs more money, I can donate or gift the game to a friend.
For a space station layer to be satisfying in ANY way, it means thinking up new mechanics, new objectives, and a whole new system for interacting between ground and space. It's like adding a whole new game on top of the game. Otherwise it's just "factorio with a starry background".

Taking on a massive project without thinking of it as a whole new expansion pack's worth of effort is pretty stupid.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

bobucles wrote:
Instead, here is a summary; DLC= Bad. This is AAA game idiocy. If I want to give the devs more money, I can donate or gift the game to a friend.
For a space station layer to be satisfying in ANY way, it means thinking up new mechanics, new objectives, and a whole new system for interacting between ground and space. It's like adding a whole new game on top of the game. Otherwise it's just "factorio with a starry background".

Taking on a massive project without thinking of it as a whole new expansion pack's worth of effort is pretty stupid.
The game isn't even finished. People already talking about expansion packs is, quite honestly, hilarious.

Hakusho
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hakusho »

bobucles wrote:This is expansion pack tier.
I think this is referring to the size of an expansion, not to a real expansion anyone would plan atm :roll:

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

bobucles wrote:

What interfacing? You do not build anything in space. As I understand, you just send some resources via the rocket and click 'I want this and this' then a nice counter goes up and you get the 'this' you wanted. There is no 'space layer', just yet another interface showing some numbers and having options like 'reveal map' and 'call orbital strike' etc.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

roman566 wrote:
bobucles wrote:

What interfacing? You do not build anything in space. As I understand, you just send some resources via the rocket and click 'I want this and this' then a nice counter goes up and you get the 'this' you wanted. There is no 'space layer', just yet another interface showing some numbers and having options like 'reveal map' and 'call orbital strike' etc.
a space layer is planned

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

ratchetfreak wrote:
roman566 wrote:
bobucles wrote:

a space layer is planned
Didn't you get the memo? It was dropped. Devs announced it couple weeks ago.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”