Custom Signs

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Xeteth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Custom Signs

Post by Xeteth »

With the upcoming addition of combinators in 0.12 I believe it would be really helpful if the player could create custom signs. There are a couple of uses for these;

1. Static wooden signs - These are simply to mark something, you could put one in front of a train station to label it, or you could label storage in chests etc. Pretty basic and boring, but does have it's uses.

2. Electric signs/billboards. Yep, think what the guys working on your local roads use - those big flashing signs. These could open up a huge amount of oportunities for the player - especially if they could be controlled and influenced by the circuit system. I can see multiple instances where I would use them;
  • To notify the player of a condition change such as a chest being empty (ie. a chest being used to fuel a train station)
  • To notify the player that consumption of power > production of power
  • Oil reservoirs have depleted down to 0.1/s
  • To make a visual display of a particular number of items held in a logistics network
There are many more uses I can imagine for these and in addition the use of the current lights could be improved (ie. change colour or 'flash' when a certain condition is met). Now I am sure a lot of this will be possible in 0.12 when we get the combinators however I can imagine it will be quite complex (one look at the video from the recent FF will show that).

What do you guys think?

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Custom Signs

Post by Cordylus »

I think it's a very good idea for a mod, for a vanilla game - I don't think so.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4682 Planing (Signs, Cloning, Ghosts, Blueprinting and further...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

There is mod that allow to place sights that show values from circuit network and show on ground and on map. viewtopic.php?f=93&t=24720
I'm using that to monitor factory states. Only missing element is ability to show text depending on condition. Instead of showing e.g "Pump is working" when pump condition is true, I have to display "Pump is working = 0" when not working or "...= 1" when it does.

Unfortunately that mod required some workaround to work, and it would be great if Devs take is as example for vanilla feature.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ah I did the link wrong.
Also added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19987 More Game Information (Statistics, Monitoring, Graphs)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”