--mp-load-save (Command Line Parameter)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Cakoluchiam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

--mp-load-save (Command Line Parameter)

Post by Cakoluchiam »

TL;DR
A command line parameter for launching directly into hosting a multiplayer game.
What ?
The command line parameter --load-game <save name> launches the game into a specified save file in single-player mode. I want a similar command line parameter to do the same thing, but launching into multiplayer as a host.

As a baseline, if the save is the last game hosted, this would be more-or-less the same as pressing the big green button after the game launches. Could default to last host configuration used or take additional parameters. If the game has no multiplayer configuration saved, stop at the main menu and/or provide an error message.
Why ?
I want to be able to walk/look away after launching the game and have the person I play together with still be able to join as soon as possible.

I am playing with a lot of mods, so it takes a long time for the game to launch into the main menu, and *also* a long time for the game to load. I would prefer that be one long loading sequence I can step away from and come back to, rather than having to return midway through to hit the Continue Host button.

Ideally can combine with a --start-paused parameter or the like so the first non-host player can join without an insane catch-up period continuing to accrue while waiting for an AFK host to come back and pause.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: --mp-load-save (Command Line Parameter)

Post by Rseding91 »

Why not setup a dedicated server?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Cakoluchiam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cakoluchiam »

Maybe I'm missing what you are suggesting, but if you're asking why we don't just buy another computer, the answer is money?

This isn't a critical need, just a nice-to-have and confused-why-it-doesn't-already-exist. Someone shared the related command line parameter for launching into a single player game and I was disappointed I couldn't use it because I only ever play multiplayer.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

You don't need a different computer to run a dedicated server. A dedicated server is just an instance of the game that only hosts the server save. You can still run the normal game on the same computer.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Cakoluchiam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cakoluchiam »

So I tried running the server on the same computer as the client; now I've run into the additional problem that my client can't keep up with the server! I "connect", but then get stuck in the "catching up" stage of loading the game. I don't think running the client and server on the same computer is the answer if I want to be able to host the game at my PC's full power.

Also, I primarily play through Steam Link or Remote Play, through which it is difficult to manage multiple games at the same time. I really would just prefer to be able to open the main game.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

To run additional instances of the game, it's easier to download and use the zip version: https://factorio.com/download
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Cakoluchiam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cakoluchiam »

I know *how* to run multiple instances; the problems are:
* Steam Link/Remote Play doesn't like running multiple games at once—I can manage it, but it's even more cumbersome than the problem I would like to be able to solve, which is being able to open the game and load the save in a single action.
* Running simultaneous client and server is problematic because my client can't keep up with the server when they're running on the same machine.

TheKillerChicken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheKillerChicken »

Cakoluchiam wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:52 pm
* Steam Link/Remote Play doesn't like running multiple games at once—I can manage it, but it's even more cumbersome than the problem I would like to be able to solve, which is being able to open the game and load the save in a single action.
* Running simultaneous client and server is problematic because my client can't keep up with the server when they're running on the same machine.
The reason why your client is not keeping up is because the headless dedicated renders no graphics, so it is much faster. I have the same issue with same-specced server/client hardware. All I do is downclock my processors on the server-side so I can catch up. I had a developer explain the server/client issue to me.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

TheKillerChicken wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:46 am
Cakoluchiam wrote:
The reason why your client is not keeping up is because the headless dedicated renders no graphics, so it is much faster. I have the same issue with same-specced server/client hardware. All I do is downclock my processors on the server-side so I can catch up. I had a developer explain the server/client issue to me.
Man why would you do what you did and why would you then go on and recommend the thing to others? The graphics don't even influence ups, which is the only thing that matters. You can have less fps than ups.
If your server is running the map better, you just use the ingame functionality to simply run the game slower on server side, you don't downclock anything.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

TheKillerChicken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

aka13 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:17 pm
TheKillerChicken wrote:
Cakoluchiam wrote:
Man why would you do what you did and why would you then go on and recommend the thing to others? The graphics don't even influence ups, which is the only thing that matters. You can have less fps than ups.
If your server is running the map better, you just use the ingame functionality to simply run the game slower on server side, you don't downclock anything.
I do downclock my cpus to catch up actually. My FPS takes a beating as my server is way faster due to not calculating the graphics. I plan to populate all 16 dimm slots on my gamer at some point. It is also easier to use throttlestop to adjust my clocks than using ingame commands as I have my server to the right of me with a kvm terminal. So it is much faster than accessing the commands also.

TheKillerChicken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

TheKillerChicken wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:34 pm
aka13 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:17 pm
TheKillerChicken wrote:
Cakoluchiam wrote:
I do downclock my cpus to catch up actually. My FPS takes a beating as my server is way faster due to not calculating the graphics. I plan to populate all 16 dimm slots on my gamer at some point. It is also easier to use throttlestop to adjust my clocks than using ingame commands as I have my server to the right of me with a kvm terminal. So it is much faster than accessing the commands also. I also cannot suggest downclocking if the client/server is on the same machine as it will be anticlimatic.

Cakoluchiam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cakoluchiam »

Can we keep this on topic? Running a server and client in parallel does not solve the problem.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”