Keep character inventory open, when walking away from other inventory

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Keep character inventory open, when walking away from other inventory

Post by ickputzdirwech »

What ?
When you open the inventory of any entity, like a chest, assembling machine or even an inserter it opens the character inventory on the left. If you walk away from the entity so that it exceeds your reach, the GUI closes. I suggest that the character inventory should stay open or rather fully open, with logistics and crafting on the right side.

Why ?
Quite often I take some materials out of a chest and want to craft something with it or want to check a blueprint in my inventory for the materials I need next but as soon as I start walking again (I want to use the time I walk productively) the character inventory closes and I have to open it again.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Keep character inventory open, when walking away from other inventory

Post by Koub »

Can you give an estimate on the proportions between
- when the "autoclosing on walking away" is actually the expected behaviour
- when the "autoclosing on walking away" forces you to reopen the interface immediatly

Not saying your idea is bad (nor good, btw). It's just that default behaviour should be the one most people expect most of the time to be a good "default behaviour". If it's mixed, then there is no better default behaviour than another, any arbitrary one is "good enough".

Now personally, I don't remember having ever cursed the game for closing the inventory upon walking away from a container, so I guess the current behaviour works well for my playstyle (or maybe it doesn't, but not to the point it would bother me, can't tell).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

When I don't need the character inventory any more I just close it myself immediately. So when it is closed automatically it annoys me pretty much 100% of the time.

This is of course just my own experience. So I would be interested if any people actually rely on the "autoclosing on walking away" as you call it.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I never thought of this, but makes sense, somehow. For more experienced players. For me this is a switch in the configuration.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”