Please remove the Spidertron screen wobble

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AlveKatt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Please remove the Spidertron screen wobble

Post by AlveKatt »

TL;DR
Make the screen not wobble with the Spidertron. It's really annoying.

What ?
When you walk while in the Spidertron and stop it wobbles from inertia. The screen wobbles with it. Please make the screen stop wobbling with the Spidertron.
Why ?
It's really annoying when you are building electric poles or any buildings you want in a straight line. You inevitably end up placing things crooked and have to fix it.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Please remove the Spidertron screen wobble

Post by Kyralessa »

Maybe the game needs a "Spidertron stabilization module" that can go in the Spidertron's equipment grid, akin to the belt immunity module. :D

AlveKatt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AlveKatt »

Kyralessa wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:58 am
Maybe the game needs a "Spidertron stabilization module" that can go in the Spidertron's equipment grid, akin to the belt immunity module. :D
I like this idea. A Spidertron gyro, or accelerometer.
Kind of like in Mechwarrior two, if your mechs gyros were destroyed in that game your aim wobbled with every step.

Just, don't stop the wobble the Spidertron does, it makes it feel more real. The module should just stabilize your screen. Thematically; the Spidertron control interface compensates for the wobble rather than removing it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I like that, AlveKatt.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

AlveKatt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AlveKatt »

ssilk wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:39 am
I like that, AlveKatt.
Thank you! Almost didn't see your comment, why isn't there an option to autosubscribe to all threads you start yourself? I even took for granted that was default behaviour.

Durr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Durr »

There is. Click your user name on the top right, then User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Posting Defaults > Notify me upon replies by default
Also, check your notification settings in Edit notification options
Tired of manually backing up your saves? Check this out! -> Factorio Backup

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

@durr: Seems this did. go wrong?! ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

CheeseMcBurger
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CheeseMcBurger »

Yes, please remove the wobble. It's making me sea sick. I'd like to use spidertron more, but I can't with that wobble 🦀.

ganskiy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ganskiy »

Can you please remove wobbling?

Taurondir
Inserter
Inserter

Removing the Spidertron "screen jitter" on moving around.

Post by Taurondir »

This is going to sound weird, so bear with me.

Because of how I see, I seem to be much more sensitive to movement then other people. It makes it hell to play shooters with all the weapons that have recoil, and when the games have flashy graphics or very "pretty" graphics that make the screen too colorful and patchwork/cluttered

For Factorio I have a personal "overwrite" folder that I dump across every time I update the game to fit "my eyes", and I keep adding more and more every year that I play, I also have hacked Shader files to give me perma-day and no weird border on the radar view.

from this : https://i.imgur.com/L5WNhic.jpg
to this : https://i.imgur.com/EhsYgxd.jpg

One thing lately that has been hitting me rather hard is that when you move around in the Spidertron, the spider "jiggles around" quite a bit, on moving and stopping. That would normally be fine, but it's the fact that it takes the "viewscreen" along with it. The easy way to see it is to move the spider just a few squares at the time, and it will say, move right, but because it "has not moved enough to get X distance exactly" the view screen snaps backwards to the left a little bit because it's centered on the spider center body.

What I guess I am saying is "is possible to get HARD movement every time" as in "instead of the spider wobbling back, it always continues and finishes its forward movement so that it never has to snap backwards, unless the path forward is the problem".

Not expecting anything here. Everytime I mention things like these in other places the most common response is "sounds like a you problem" and yes it is, and If I could figure out and hack some files and still be vanilla-compatible I would have done it, mostly I thought I'd put a feeler out there to remind everyone that "forced viewscreens shenanigans" can cause problems because a game is not real life, and human brains work weird, and sometimes, there is easy fixes, and sometimes there might be not. I'm just seeing if this is one of those things.

Maybe people like the "jiggle"? I don't know. All I know is that my brain dislikes it for some reason.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Removing the Spidertron "screen jitter" on moving around.

Post by ickputzdirwech »

No need to apologise in any way. Maybe you know this mod already: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/spidertr ... e913783eeb. It will stop the vertical bobbing. As mentioned in the linked discussion it doesn’t stop the vertical wobble however. And according to the mod author this isn‘t possible. You could try and raise a modding interface request for the latter.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Taurondir
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Taurondir »

I have a problem with it as well as I seem to be more sensitive to movement then most people.

Having the entire viewscreen "jiggle around" is headache inducing. I keep jumping out of the spider to do things because I can't handle the time it takes to "come to a complete wobble stop" when I take my fingers off the movement keys.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

Other games call this effect 'head bob'. I find it extremely annoying as well. Shaking the screen for explosions is also a bad thing. (Don't remember if this game has that though.)
Last edited by jamiechi1 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

Would you be interested in sharing that folder? I like those changes, I would be happy to move them into a mod so it's easier to handle updates and others may benefit (with your permission)

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

Any way to get the Game Developers to respond to this issue? Jiggling the screen is really an issue for many of us.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

In general, this "issue", "uneasiness", "hell to play" is perceived only by a fraction of all players. Those blessed people who don't perceive it will never know what this is about, just as a blind man doesn't know what a color is. It varies from just slight uneasiness to sickening bad migraine after 15 minutes that puts you into bed for the rest of the day, worse than the worst hangover you ever experienced.

These symptoms are all some expression of motion sickness, and this is experienced differently by everyone. Those who don't experience at all can praise their luck, and we who experience it praise game developers who add options to their game that mitigate their symptoms. Factorio with its 2d view is pleasant to play in general, but similar to the OP, I'm feeling some uneasiness with the view jiggling around by using the spidertron as well. It's one of the very few downsides in Factorio for me.

causa-sui
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by causa-sui »

I agree that this is an important accessibility issue affecting users who suffer from motion sickness and maybe other visually driven neurological disorders.

For me, it is a usability and quality of life issue. I spend most of my time inside Spidertron, but Spidertron wobbles when stopping. This moves my cursor, which is annoying when I'm trying to click on things that are in reach and then not in reach due to the wobbling. I don't mind the wobbling animation, but Spidertron's animations should not change my field of view or the center point of the FOV unless it is moving to another coordinate.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

I'm honestly unsure if I'm in the luck majority or not here, but by the time I get a spidertron I'm almost entirely working from map view.

With the 2.0 improvements to map view, I may never leave it.

(But yes, removing "head bob" toggle should be there, for modded games if nothing else)

Taipion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Taipion »

I, too, find this incredibly annoying, especially if you try to "hand craft" some delicate details, even moreso when those details are not undo-able like precision landfills.

Like, if you want to make a pipe connection over water and move with your spidertron with it (there is no unmodded way to not use a spidertron for this).

I literally have to save and reload frequently every time I do this, it's incredibly annoying.
On top is the annoyance that you're basically required to use a spidertron as there is no other way to move over water if there are only a few spots of landfills instead of a "road", and when it's necessary to ignore buildings for movement.

I really, really can't wrap my head around it, how a that good, that sophisticated team of devs did not see this, has not seen it yet and has not fixed it yet.

Solution:
The screen simply does not has to match the spidertrons movement all the time,
this is deterministic (I assume) so as soon as the player lifts his fingers off the buttons, it is clear where the spidertron will stop,
henceforth the "final" position of the screen is known and all the wobbling is completely unnecessary.

Please, please pretty please fix this, thank you!

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

causa-sui wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:00 pm
For me, it is a usability and quality of life issue. I spend most of my time inside Spidertron, but Spidertron wobbles when stopping. This moves my cursor, which is annoying when I'm trying to click on things that are in reach and then not in reach due to the wobbling. I don't mind the wobbling animation, but Spidertron's animations should not change my field of view or the center point of the FOV unless it is moving to another coordinate.
This seems to be a common misconception here. The wobble isn't an animation, it is the spidertron actually physically moving in a wobbly way to another coordinate. It's basically a fairly simple physical model where the legs and body are attached with simulated springs.
So it already works exactly as you say you want it to work...

Though I agree that it is annoying to build with the spidertron because it doesn't stop immediately when I release my keys. Like any other vehicle it has momentum.

The wobble isn't really programmed in, and it might be tricky to remove it in a way that looks good and doesn't alter the movement of the spidertron too much.

Taipion wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:32 pm
I, too, find this incredibly annoying, especially if you try to "hand craft" some delicate details, even moreso when those details are not undo-able like precision landfills.

Like, if you want to make a pipe connection over water and move with your spidertron with it (there is no unmodded way to not use a spidertron for this).

I literally have to save and reload frequently every time I do this, it's incredibly annoying.
On top is the annoyance that you're basically required to use a spidertron as there is no other way to move over water if there are only a few spots of landfills instead of a "road", and when it's necessary to ignore buildings for movement.
Landfill is removable in 2.0.

Taipion wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:32 pm
I really, really can't wrap my head around it, how a that good, that sophisticated team of devs did not see this, has not seen it yet and has not fixed it yet.

Solution:
The screen simply does not has to match the spidertrons movement all the time,
this is deterministic (I assume) so as soon as the player lifts his fingers off the buttons, it is clear where the spidertron will stop,
henceforth the "final" position of the screen is known and all the wobbling is completely unnecessary.

Please, please pretty please fix this, thank you!
Well not everyone is as bothered by it, remote view is improved so you don't need to move around as much and it isn't really that easy to fix. Your "solution" is missing details, like what would actually happen to the camera when you release your keys. Will it teleport when you release they keys or when you press your keys again after having stopped? Or some kind of interpolation? Isn't that going to be annoying as well? If you want the camera to just stop and not deal with that then the spidertron has to stop immediately as well. But that can't happen with the current model. Well of course you can stop it, but it would look really bad, and it would start being pulled towards the feet when you try to move again, flinging you away from where you are. To stop that issue the legs would have to move back towards the head while it is "frozen", which might not actually be possible if there are no footholds that would keep the head stable at the location it is at. And I could keep going, but soon I will have to program my own spidertron movement to explore and show all the details.
My mods: Capsule Ammo | HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting | ChunkyChunks - Configurable Gridlines
Some other creations: Combinassembly Language GitHub w instructions and link to run it in your browser | 0~drain Laser

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”