Minor nit: lost mining progress of partially mined items

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Minor nit: lost mining progress of partially mined items

Post by golfmiketango »

When manually disappearing a small forest, I tend to be right at my tolerance-limit for annoyances; one thing that absolutely puts me over it is when, while holding down the right mouse button so I can mine a tree, I accidentally momentarily hover over a tree I don't want to mine, my character takes a single "whack" at it, and now the tree I did intend to mine must be mined from scratch.

This may seem like a pretty minor nit. But I am pretty sure that, in the early game, especially in forest spawns (which I preferentially choose, for purposes of pollution-control), it actually becomes offensively time-consuming if you consider the net cost.

Since obviously the most recently partially-mined object is remembered, one possible solution would be to simply also remember the most recently partially-mined object before the current partially-mined one, and how far along hero was in the mining process, just for that one item. That way, you wouldn't have to, i.e., increase the serialization footprint of every item in the game or create an awkward situation where stuff is randomly lying around in a wierd "partially-mined" hair-trigger state.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Minor nit: lost mining progress of partially mined items

Post by aubergine18 »

IMO we should be able to start forest fires in early game, to quickly clear forest, but at expense of creating lots of pollution.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

aeros1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by aeros1 »

OR just prevent switching objects while mouse button pressed and object is being mined. There are some mods which add both, and it would be nice indeed to have something like tourch to start forest fires. Though still I like forest they prevent pollutions, only wished I could make them transparent or cut parts that overlap with other squares. Impossible to see behind trees what is happening and what is where.
P.s. maybe modding which allows dynamic asset tinting in RGBA. If it is it would be nice mod to hide those objects and see what is within the dark forest.

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

aeros1 wrote:OR just prevent switching objects while mouse button pressed and object is being mined. There are some mods which add both, and it would be nice indeed to have something like tourch to start forest fires. Though still I like forest they prevent pollutions, only wished I could make them transparent or cut parts that overlap with other squares. Impossible to see behind trees what is happening and what is where.
P.s. maybe modding which allows dynamic asset tinting in RGBA. If it is it would be nice mod to hide those objects and see what is within the dark forest.
You could try this mod to make trees transparent.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

aeros1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by aeros1 »

SuicidalKid wrote:
aeros1 wrote:OR just prevent switching objects while mouse button pressed and object is being mined. There are some mods which add both, and it would be nice indeed to have something like tourch to start forest fires. Though still I like forest they prevent pollutions, only wished I could make them transparent or cut parts that overlap with other squares. Impossible to see behind trees what is happening and what is where.
You could try this mod to make trees transparent.
Thanks it is pretty useful. But it seems to replace objects rather than templates.(in fact not makes slower and even faster) Wished it would be UI feature instead of item instead.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”