[Public/Europe] Dedicated Server

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Multiplayer Testserver 0.12 [Dedicated/headless]

Post by daniel34 »

Thanks for reporting that.
I've experienced the same desync-loop right now after reading your post and connecting, I've restarted the server with the second-to-last autosave and it's working fine again.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Okeanos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Okeanos »

I guess the server crashed :/

psihius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by psihius »

There needs to be a protection from the people, who's ping is higher than settings set. Playing a public server like this is impossible, because there are always people connecting and crashing it :( Crashed again now.

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

psihius wrote:There needs to be a protection from the people, who's ping is higher than settings set. Playing a public server like this is impossible, because there are always people connecting and crashing it :( Crashed again now.
good idea, suggest it in the suggestions section? Something like:
- A config option which prevents players from joining if ping to any of the connected peers is above a configurable limit. (including to the headless client)
- Possibly even an option to automatically kick peers who are above a configurable limit for to long
Hosting a factorio server? Take a look at this || init script ||.

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

Is it offline>?

Please could you restart it?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

The server crashed, I've created a bug report here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=13757 and restarted the server.

I'm thinking of writing a script that saves the log files and restarts the server after it crashed, but at the moment I haven't had the time needed for that.

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

daniel34 wrote:The server crashed, I've created a bug report here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=13757 and restarted the server.

I'm thinking of writing a script that saves the log files and restarts the server after it crashed, but at the moment I haven't had the time needed for that.
That could have been me, I jumped out of a car on a belt and the game crashed, couldnt connect after that =(
(ur running on ubuntu or something right? is that systemctl or plain old "service factorio start")

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Bisa wrote:ur running on ubuntu or something right? is that systemctl or plain old "service factorio start
I'm running on Debian 8.1 x64 (it's essentially the same as ubuntu)
the server runs in a "screen" session, it is the same as if you would run factorio directly from the command line.
The actual line I use is: ./factorio --start-server _autosave2.zip --autosave-interval 10 (it is started from the /factorio/bin/x64 directory)
The autosave depends on which of the three saves saved last, so I look at the timestamp in /factorio/saves and determine which one I want to use.

The advantage of this method is that I can connect my command line to the screen after reconnecting to the server and see what's going on.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Dammit I almost got the materials to secure your south-west wall against all those illegal immigrants. What happens when you are disconnected? Do all the materials disappear?

I protected the South-west border against those immigrants and got our mines working again.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Darthlawsuit wrote:... What happens when you are disconnected? Do all the materials disappear? ...
Depends on how long the autosave is back with which the server gets restarted. All things between the save and the crash are lost, all things from before the save are still there.

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

daniel34 wrote:I'm thinking of writing a script that saves the log files and restarts the server after it crashed, but at the moment I haven't had the time needed for that.
I had the time to write a init script at least :D
Please give this one a go: https://github.com/Bisa/factorio-init

Working on the restart detection next.

Okeanos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Okeanos »

Im no longer able to join the server :(

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:
Darthlawsuit wrote:... What happens when you are disconnected? Do all the materials disappear? ...
Depends on how long the autosave is back with which the server gets restarted. All things between the save and the crash are lost, all things from before the save are still there.
Rejoined and started with nothing again. Only saved items were in the tank I was driving. I was playing for about an hour and had a bunch of alien artifacts.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Darthlawsuit wrote:Rejoined and started with nothing again. Only saved items were in the tank I was driving. I was playing for about an hour and had a bunch of alien artifacts.
This should only happen if you changed your in-game nick.

Okeanos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Okeanos »

lol its really horrible to play when so many people is trying to join all the time. I think it would be nice if the game didnt pause while people is joining anyone know if thats on the roadmap for the game?

EDIT:
A special thanks to Biomass and tmr2000 i really hate you two guys right now :(

EDIT:
I can confirm that it is possible to lose everything you had in your inventory, ive been kicked out of the server 4 times in a row and when i got back in the 4th time my inventory was empty

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Okeanos wrote: I can confirm that it is possible to lose everything you had in your inventory, ive been kicked out of the server 4 times in a row and when i got back in the 4th time my inventory was empty
Lucky I lost it the first time assuming keeping the same username would keep my gear. After I lost it all I changed username. I built 40 laser turrents too and only used up about 20.

What happened was I went into inventory then most of the game stopped responding. I could highlight and click stuff in inventory but only the effect of clicking it worked. Clicking an item did nothing nor could I exit inventory or go to the main menu. I had to end the process.

Okeanos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Okeanos »

Darthlawsuit wrote:
Okeanos wrote: Lucky I lost it the first time assuming keeping the same username would keep my gear. After I lost it all I changed username. I built 40 laser turrents too and only used up about 20.

What happened was I went into inventory then most of the game stopped responding. I could highlight and click stuff in inventory but only the effect of clicking it worked. Clicking an item did nothing nor could I exit inventory or go to the main menu. I had to end the process.
The only bad thing about it is you lose your power armor which might take a couple of minuts to get putted back together, there is already a automatic production of everything else online so you can just request 50 laserturrets etc. and the bots will deliver them to you :)

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Right now the server is offline due to time constraints on my end and because the game was won, it will be hopefully back for 0.12.2 next week with a new map. Thank you all for playing, I actually didn't expect we'd make it to the end so fast.
More info in the first post.

Okeanos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Okeanos »

Maybe you should try to increase the amount of water and the terrain segmentation too. I guess that would mean you would end up with a lot of small bodies of water which would make it easier to join the server and create a well defended outpost/ore mine somewhere and leave game alone again.

I guess that is problably going to make the game easier but if you are going to reduce the richness of the iron ore i think its needed

Mikerman50
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mikerman50 »

Bisa wrote:
daniel34 wrote:I'm thinking of writing a script that saves the log files and restarts the server after it crashed, but at the moment I haven't had the time needed for that.
I had the time to write a init script at least :D
Please give this one a go: https://github.com/Bisa/factorio-init

Working on the restart detection next.
Hi Bisa, tried to setup a linux based server (CentOS) on my VPS but i get error

Code: Select all

could not find a pid with invocation:

as you can see linkswere setup correctly and points to the binary file.. any advice?

many thanks

Return to “Multiplayer”