//DISCLAIMER: Bob does an awesome job on his mods and I wont judge his usage of graphics as I understand they are placeholders in nature, kind of like the early Factorio hot rod. I only propose this discussion in hopes of augmenting the mods, providing a framework for a visual re-mastery
Some have been voicing concern on the state of graphics used in bobs mod overall. It is true that scaled-down stock images and MS Paint icons represent poorly what is otherwise a very polished and vibrant mod. This is a serious deal-breaker for some newcomers to the mod, even myself included originally. Problems in the graphics of items are most noticeable, generally due to a mismatch in art-style from the vanilla game, be it due to icons which are too simple or too realistic.
Aesthetics is a matter of personal tastes. That being said, attempting to follow a visual standard will provide objective improvements.
I suggest the following rubric as a starting point:
- As much as possible, conform to the art style of the core game. (e.g. If items have generics in the core game, make chroma/shading/highlight variations)
- Standardize icon resolutions according to core game (Im looking at you pixelated technologies)
- Standardize new item types visuals, creating chroma/shading/highlight variations for distinctness (e.g. like how pipes and belts are, except for everything (powders, ingots/plates, ammo, etc))
- Maintain visual distinctness between items (visual user-friendliness for item recognition)
- Consider visual occurrence of icons (e.g. avoiding abstract representations of items which would reasonably be on transport belts)
- User-friendliness > Realism (e.g. color coding distinct metals despite all of them being grey)
- Icons must be either modifications of core game icons or entirely hand created pixel-art to fit core game art-style (and modifications thereof); avoid resized stock images
What can we do?
- All manner of discussion regarding visuals for items in bob's mods
- Establishing visual standards for items and materials
- Proposing graphic templates for items (can attach psd/png files)
- Links to graphic resources (be as specific as possible and make sure it is free to use)
- Ultimately posting replacement graphics for Bob-sensei to pick at his convenience for future updates. (post in a easy format for browsing: see my example below)
DOWNLOAD LINK to graphics patch mod of my latest graphics, which you can use to try out all of my graphics while waiting for/seeing if the graphics in the core mods get revamped. Also, bob you can use it to see if you like them
Well there you have it folks. Even if nobody makes new graphics, the thread will still be there for discussion, and I'll occasionally post new graphics as well. I'm sure everyone will benefit.